A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

@Chris have you tried contacting someone at Currie who may know of the best approach to incorporate the AR with the RC Bumper? Just curious cause I would have to say one of those guys has had to have done that at some point...they may have the perfect solution!

I also don't think I would ditch the bumper you have now...I love it, has kind of that iconic look that the TJ deserves, and they are rare AF. You'll find a way to do the job cleanly i'm sure. I wouldn't do it unless I knew for sure it could be done so clean that it looks factory. You may also just have to go to a good fabricator, explain the whole thing, and see what can be done.

Reactions: Starrs
When I drive in southern Indiana (we have something approximating "hills") my 42RLE does that hunting thing at highway speeds

Yeah, if you gear it correctly it won't eliminate it entirely, but it will make it a lot better. It made a huge difference on my last TJ Rubicon with the 42RLE when I put the 4.88 gears in. It was night and day.

@Chris have you tried contacting someone at Currie who may know of the best approach to incorporate the AR with the RC Bumper? Just curious cause I would have to say one of those guys has had to have done that at some point...they may have the perfect solution!

I also don't think I would ditch the bumper you have now...I love it, has kind of that iconic look that the TJ deserves, and they are rare AF. You'll find a way to do the job cleanly i'm sure. I wouldn't do it unless I knew for sure it could be done so clean that it looks factory. You may also just have to go to a good fabricator, explain the whole thing, and see what can be done.

I'm not ditching it. Some of these guys just build for 100% function (which I totally get), but I'm trying to keep a happy medium between both form and function. Part of that "form" is the bumper, no doubt. This is also one of the reasons I held off on cutting it.

I haven't talked to Currie, though I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give them a call! I'm confident I can cut it myself and make it look good. The question just becomes then, are those recovery points indeed useless, or is there a way I can make them functional?

I'm not ditching it. Some of these guys just build for 100% function (which I totally get), but I'm trying to keep a happy medium between both form and function. Part of that "form" is the bumper, no doubt. This is also one of the reasons I held off on cutting it.

I haven't talked to Currie, though I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give them a call! I'm confident I can cut it myself and make it look good. The question just becomes then, are those recovery points indeed useless, or is there a way I can make them functional?
Oh I see, you may be sacrificing the front tow hooks...does the rear bumper have hooks like the front does?

I think that you would have to do the cutting for the AR then try a couple recoveries using the front hooks and see whats what. Worse case scenario is they start to bend or break off and you then do another cut and eliminate them all together right?

Or find out if any of the other guys that have done this have been able to use they hooks after the mod.

Oh I see, you may be sacrificing the front tow hooks...does the rear bumper have hooks like the front does?

I think that you would have to do the cutting for the AR then try a couple recoveries using the front hooks and see whats what. Worse case scenario is they start to bend or break off and you then do another cut and eliminate them all together right?

Or find out if any of the other guys that have done this have been able to use they hooks after the mod.

The rear bumper has no tow recovery points at all. I plan on getting some that attach the the rear frame rails.

We'll see what happens. I'm not putting the Antirock on anytime soon, so I guess this ends up being one of those bridges that I'll cross when I get to it.

Reactions: EJD
Got it the MORryde / Exogate tire carrier to fit with the Savvy LED taillights, just took a little work with the cutting wheel.

Very impressed. This thing is so strong I can hang from it and it doesn’t give.

07AAFE02-11B8-4949-8E53-C380C9E0D41B.jpeg

Got it the MORryde / Exogate tire carrier to fit with the Savvy LED taillights, just took a little work with the cutting wheel.

Very impressed. This thing is so strong I can hang from it and it doesn’t give.

View attachment 50930

Looks great Chris. This is how they should have come from factory . I'm going to get one just for peace of mind. I only have 265/75R16s but the tailgate hinge action already worries me a bit, esp if I'm parked on a grade.

Reactions: Chris
Looks great Chris. This is how they should have come from factory . I'm going to get one just for peace of mind. I only have 265/75R16s but the tailgate hinge action already worries me a bit, esp if I'm parked on a grade.

I would do the same. The hinges on this are sturdy as hell, so you never have to worry about a sagging tailgate. Not to mention they're grease-able with a zerk fitting.

If you really want the RC bumper and the anti-rock, and keep the function of the tow points, .Take it to a Fab shop, have them cut the clearance for the anti rock, then weld in steel on the back side, so that the bottom of the plate is connected to the top, and you have a clearance hole for the bushing. Only negative to that will be the fact that you'll have to touch up the paint where they weld. I'm not so good at explaining this stuff in words, so let me know if it doesn't make sense and I'll sketch you a drawing.

If you really want the RC bumper and the anti-rock, and keep the function of the tow points, .Take it to a Fab shop, have them cut the clearance for the anti rock, then weld in steel on the back side, so that the bottom of the plate is connected to the top, and you have a clearance hole for the bushing. Only negative to that will be the fact that you'll have to touch up the paint where they weld. I'm not so good at explaining this stuff in words, so let me know if it doesn't make sense and I'll sketch you a drawing.

Yep, I think I may have @David Kishpaugh do this for me, as he does things like this all the time. That way I can keep the tow points and not have to worry about doing it right.