A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

I thought for the price they would be thin, cheap metal. That’s not the case, they are actually very heavy and you can tell they’re made with a very thick steel.

I’m really happy with these I must say! They just bolt on to the side body mounts.
One of my first additions to my TJR after purchase. I think they're great.

Reactions: Chris
I thought for the price they would be thin, cheap metal. That’s not the case, they are actually very heavy and you can tell they’re made with a very thick steel.

I’m really happy with these I must say! They just bolt on to the side body mounts.
I run them on mine and yea, there are pretty good for the price. I wouldn't run them on a hardcore rig but they should work fine for mild to moderate stuff. I also like the little step they provide.

Reactions: glwood
I run them on mine and yea, there are pretty good for the price. I wouldn't run them on a hardcore rig but they should work fine for mild to moderate stuff. I also like the little step they provide.

Yeah, I don't do the stuff Jerry and those guys do. I agree though, I wouldn't use them for hardcore stuff, just mild to moderate. Truth be told, I got them because I wanted a step that didn't hang down so low or stick out so far. These fit the bill perfect.

When are the stickers able to go back on?? Looking really good.

I can put the Rubicon decals back on the start of July. I've got to wait 3 months from the time it was painted (April 1st) for the paint to fully cure. I guess that's the rule of thumb with putting decals over new paint. If you put them over the new paint right away, it can cause the chemicals in the paint to be trapped and you may start having some paint issues.

That being said, I'll play it safe!

I'll be putting the Rokmen skids and Savvy control arms on next week.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Yeah, I don't do the stuff Jerry and those guys do. I agree though, I wouldn't use them for hardcore stuff, just mild to moderate. Truth be told, I got them because I wanted a step that didn't hang down so low or stick out so far. These fit the bill perfect.

I can put the Rubicon decals back on the start of July. I've got to wait 3 months from the time it was painted (April 1st) for the paint to fully cure. I guess that's the rule of thumb with putting decals over new paint. If you put them over the new paint right away, it can cause the chemicals in the paint to be trapped and you may start having some paint issues.

That being said, I'll play it safe!

I'll be putting the Rokmen skids and Savvy control arms on next week.
Wowza that’s a long time. I guess it depends on the type of paint and the process they used. Some say a week some day next day some say 3 months. Wide array of wait times lol

Wowza that’s a long time. I guess it depends on the type of paint and the process they used. Some say a week some day next day some say 3 months. Wide array of wait times lol

I've used several painters in my life and they've all told me 90 days. I'd err on the side of caution anyways, just because the last thing I want is my paint getting messed up, right?

Chances are I could put them on a lot sooner, but it's not worth the risk. For what it's worth, he used the most high end automotive paint available. It was $240 for a quart :risas3:

Reactions: Starrs and ac_
I've used several painters in my life and they've all told me 90 days. I'd err on the side of caution anyways, just because the last thing I want is my paint getting messed up, right?

Chances are I could put them on a lot sooner, but it's not worth the risk. For what it's worth, he used the most high end automotive paint available. It was $240 for a quart :risas3:
If you were where I am, and it was July, you could reduce that to like 10 minutes. haha

Reactions: JMT
If you were where I am, and it was July, you could reduce that to like 10 minutes. haha

According to him, what cures paint is cold water and the cold. I thought it would be heat, but he said that it's the cold that actually helps it to fully cure. I have to assume he knows what he's talking about (otherwise I just misunderstood), since he's 65 years old and been painting cars and doing body work all his life.

I use to live in the East Valley (Chandler / Gilbert area), so I'm very familiar with the weather down there!

Reactions: ac_
According to him, what cures paint is cold water and the cold. I thought it would be heat, but he said that it's the cold that actually helps it to fully cure. I have to assume he knows what he's talking about (otherwise I just misunderstood), since he's 65 years old and been painting cars and doing body work all his life.

I use to live in the East Valley (Chandler / Gilbert area), so I'm very familiar with the weather down there!
That is exactly where I live now. Maybe I live in your old house?
I am not a paint guru, so I can't argue with that statement, but I used to work near a body shop, and they had a paint booth, and an oven booth I assumed it was to bake paint, but honestly the most I have ever done was strip my bumper and paint it haha. So that said, maybe you shouldn't come visit me for at least 3 months.

Nice, I like those steps with the mopar bumpers you have. All the tube work ties in nicely.

That thought crossed my mind after installing them, that the tubes on the sliders seem to work well with the bumpers. That was an accidental discovery, but a good one!

That is exactly where I live now. Maybe I live in your old house?
I am not a paint guru, so I can't argue with that statement, but I used to work near a body shop, and they had a paint booth, and an oven booth I assumed it was to bake paint, but honestly the most I have ever done was strip my bumper and paint it haha. So that said, maybe you shouldn't come visit me for at least 3 months.

Oh yeah, it's not safe to go down to those parts until at least October, haha.

I may be wrong about the cold and the paint. I may have misunderstood what he was saying. I just remember him saying that if I wanted to cure the paint faster, I would want to give it washes with really cold water.

That thought crossed my mind after installing them, that the tubes on the sliders seem to work well with the bumpers. That was an accidental discovery, but a good one!

Oh yeah, it's not safe to go down to those parts until at least October, haha.

I may be wrong about the cold and the paint. I may have misunderstood what he was saying. I just remember him saying that if I wanted to cure the paint faster, I would want to give it washes with really cold water.
From what I understand it’s the heat that bakes it and cures it.

From what I understand it’s the heat that bakes it and cures it.

You would think so! Oh well, soon I’ll have my Rubicon stickers back on. A lot of people have been telling me to just leave them off. I said no way, I think they look good there on the hood.

If they had a true bake booth, and cooked it to the recommended time, it should be cured. How do you think the car makers do it?

Reactions: Starrs
If they had a true bake booth, and cooked it to the recommended time, it should be cured. How do you think the car makers do it?

That’s what I thought as well. I doubt the factory is waiting 3 months to put decals on, haha.

Reactions: Starrs