A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

Here's some photos I took today. This is the way I bought it from the previous owner. I haven't done a single thing to it yet, but that's about to change, because I've got a ton of parts sitting in my garage!

IMG_0454.JPG
IMG_0455.JPG
IMG_0456.JPG
IMG_0457.JPG

What size lift do you think that is?

IMG_0126.PNG
I would sand that down and hit it with some paint. Might as well if you do end up getting a new rear. Looks pretty clean from the pics. What's the frame look like?

Looks to be 2.5-3.5" maybe?

I think it's 3". Those are 31" tires, and it's got a Fabtech lift with aftermarket control arms and everything, though he lowered the transfer case with washers instead of getting a double cardan driveshaft.

So there's some little things like that I need to make right, but it's a clean, low mileage, original owner TJ, so I'm happy.

I can post that winch on Craigslist. It's a Badlands 12,000 lb. winch with automatic load-holding brake.

Reactions: JMT
View attachment 29639 I would sand that down and hit it with some paint. Might as well if you do end up getting a new rear. Looks pretty clean from the pics. What's the frame look like?

The frame is spotless. That is the only area that has some surface rust on it (the area you pointed out). Once I put a new rear bumper on, I'll sand that down and respray it with some paint for sure.

Not sure who makes that rear bumper / tire carrier.

Reactions: Starrs
It's got a drop pitman arm and a front track bar relocation bracket. Just ordered up a new stock pitman arm, so that will be replaced ASAP. Obviously it was part of the lift that is on there.

Those Duratracs are technically 31.7", but yes, I like the stance. I may be able to keep these springs and maybe just get some nicer shocks and some adjustable track bars.

Reactions: Starrs
From what I can see on their website, 4" is the shortest lift they have for a TJ. And it looks like the kit includes the evil dropped pitman arm.

http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/J...-Jeep-TJ-2004-06-Jeep-LJ-Unlimited-p2254.html

Yep, I noticed that as well. Stupid dropped pitman arms. What were these lift manufacturers thinking? So I've got a new stock pitman arm coming this week, and then I guess in order to get rid of this lift I'll need new control arms too, because it's got control arms that are fixed length and not adjustable (grrrrr!). So ultimately if I go with a 2" suspension lift, I'll need either stock control arms or something adjustable like Currie or Savvy. I should probably get some adjustable control arms though that allow for mis-alignment incase of any flexing. Not sure how good the stock arms are at flexing before they break something (like a control arm bracket).

The stock CA's are actually designed to be quite flexy. Just look how flimsy they look.

Good point you make there! I'll maybe just buy the Crown replacement stock arms that come with bushings already in them. Only like $250 for the full set I believe!

Reactions: bobthetj03
The frame is spotless. That is the only area that has some surface rust on it (the area you pointed out). Once I put a new rear bumper on, I'll sand that down and respray it with some paint for sure.

Not sure who makes that rear bumper / tire carrier.
FYI, consider this interesting idea in place of a bumper, I might do it if I didn’t need to pull a trailer. A rear crossmember that doubles as a bumper and has weldable d-ring attachments. I think very cool and gives awesome clearance on the rear end.

https://www.motobilt.com/jeep-tj-rear-cross-member.html

You can pay me later @Motobilt

I'm not sure I can picture it without a rear bumper... Might look odd, no?
Who knows. They developed it for super clearance. It also would not limit the size spare you could run since it would be flush (assuming Exogate or the like). Just a thought, and an interesting product. I ran with just the crossmember one day and thought it looked good. Certainly an advantage with 31’s, bc your ass end will likely hit sooner or later

Reactions: Chris
FYI, consider this interesting idea in place of a bumper, I might do it if I didn’t need to pull a trailer. A rear crossmember that doubles as a bumper and has weldable d-ring attachments. I think very cool and gives awesome clearance on the rear end.

https://www.motobilt.com/jeep-tj-rear-cross-member.html

You can pay me later @Motobilt
The Posion Spyder original version is a bolt on affair and already has d rings on it. Really nice bumper.

Yep, I noticed that as well. Stupid dropped pitman arms. What were these lift manufacturers thinking? So I've got a new stock pitman arm coming this week, and then I guess in order to get rid of this lift I'll need new control arms too, because it's got control arms that are fixed length and not adjustable (grrrrr!). So ultimately if I go with a 2" suspension lift, I'll need either stock control arms or something adjustable like Currie or Savvy. I should probably get some adjustable control arms though that allow for mis-alignment incase of any flexing. Not sure how good the stock arms are at flexing before they break something (like a control arm bracket).
I wouldn't go all crazy changing control arms just yet. They might work fine at 2 inches. No sense spending money you don't need to. Measure them up. I can measure my stock ones, and let you know if they are different.

I’m still on stock control arms at 2.5” SL and no intent on changing. They actually have good flex.

P.s. good looking Jeep

Sounds like stock control arms are the way to go. This one has the stock uppers but aftermarket lowers.