A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

The Posion Spyder original version is a bolt on affair and already has d rings on it. Really nice bumper.
The Motobilt guys just weld on the D-Rings for you. I probably like it because I hit my ass every time I come over a big ledge! Love Poison Spyder stuff. Their rock sliders are way up on my list when the time comes....

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
So .. has it struck anyone else that this thread is already 100 replies long, and @Chris hasn't done a damn thing to his new tj yet?

Not true... I just got done removing the winch and sold it to some guy who came buy from Craigslist, haha.

The new winch gets here Wednesday, at which point I'll mount it to the new bumper, and then mount it!

LED headlights and fog lights should be here this week from Vision-X. BedRug is ready to go in tomorrow too!

Reactions: bobthetj03
Not true... I just got done removing the winch and sold it to some guy who came buy from Craigslist, haha.

The new winch gets here Wednesday, at which point I'll mount it to the new bumper, and then mount it!

LED headlights and fog lights should be here this week from Vision-X. BedRug is ready to go in tomorrow too!
Are you going with the m8000?

Are you going with the m8000?

I almost did, but this time around I went with the Smittybilt X20 Comp Winch.

Normally I'd never dream of such a thing, but I have a ton of buddies with that exact same winch, and all they do is rave about how well it works. I was also talking with a guy a few months ago locally who is just a major off-roader (all his vehicles aren't even street legal, he has to trailer them) and he too was telling me that Smittybilt actually builds very nice winches these days if you get the upper end stuff. He was telling me that he's put almost every winch out there through the ringer from Warn, to Smittybilt, to Engo, to Mile Marker, Badlands, etc. He told me that some winches are garbage, but that the higher end Smittybilt winches are actually very good winches.

I was talking to him about Warn, and he was telling me that some Warn winches he has used are garbage. He said the M8000 is excellent, but he said he's used other older Warn winches and some new ones that weren't any better than a Badlands Harbor Freight winch he used once.

Anyways, I'll give it a try at least. That way I can evaluate it long term and let others know if it really is a good winch or not. I don't want to be that guy who knocks other stuff without trying it.

Nice Jeep Chris! You said you had it in to get painted. What got painted? It looks to be the same color? I love that color.

Nice Jeep Chris! You said you had it in to get painted. What got painted? It looks to be the same color? I love that color.

Oh no, I just had to have the cowl piece on the hood repainted.

It is a nice color, I agree!

Okay, got the Vision X Light Cannons mounted to the bumper. The winch gets here tomorrow, and then I can bolt it on and get this front bumper on!

Here's a sneak preview though!

IMG_0499.jpg

So, I ordered up some RedRock 4x4 nerf bars. I know some will give me crap about this, but my TJ doesn't do any rock crawling, and therefore I'm not worried about them scraping on rocks. We do mud and overlanding type if stuff.

My main reason for getting these is because at 4" of lift, even with the grab handles, this thing is an absolute pain in the butt to get in and out of. I had these same nerf bars on my black TJ, and man did it make getting in and out so much easier!

These ones require no drilling as well, which I was happy about, given how clean my frame is!

I thought you were only doing a 2" lift?

I still might be. Problem is, if I do a 2" lift, now I have the added expensive of new control arms, since the ones on the Jeep are non-adjustable, and they are meant for 4" of lift.

I keep thinking how since I already have a 4" lift, I could just keep the springs, swap the shocks out for something better than the Fabtech shocks, and call it a day.

If I go down to 2", I'll need stock control arms (and I don't want used ones, since I'd rather replace them with new bushings), new springs, new shocks, etc.

I'm racking my brain here going back-and-forth on which route I should go.

I still might be. Problem is, if I do a 2" lift, now I have the added expensive of new control arms, since the ones on the Jeep are non-adjustable, and they are meant for 4" of lift.

I keep thinking how since I already have a 4" lift, I could just keep the springs, swap the shocks out for something better than the Fabtech shocks, and call it a day.

If I go down to 2", I'll need stock control arms (and I don't want used ones, since I'd rather replace them with new bushings), new springs, new shocks, etc.

I'm racking my brain here going back-and-forth on which route I should go.

What kind of bushings are in those CA's? Also, do you plan a TT? If so, aren't you going to need adjustable CA's? 4" of lift on 31's? Ehh?