My 2006 Jeep is having problems in idle after warming up

ToddJames719

So its happened a few times and it always happens when i have to turn the Jeep on and off several times like running errands or something like that where I'm starting it up more then a couple of times. So the 4th or 5th time I start it up the engine starts to sputter and run really rough for a bout 15 seconds or so until it goes away from me slowly giving it a little gas. The check engine light comes on when this happens but goes away in 10 15 minutes or so, after this original sputter it does it more when i come to a stop and its idling in neutral, it doesn't completely sputter hard and nearly sputter itself off again like it does originally but its noticeably runs rougher and shakes the shifter so it makes a little rattling noise. Anyway, i read the code when it did it one day and it came up as multiple misfires, random cylinders. I replaced the spark plugs which did nothing and Im just trying to figure out the next step, what to try next. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

If this problem only occurs once the engine has warmed up, it's possible/likely one of your two upstream O2 sensors has gone bad. The engine computer uses a preprogrammed air-fuel table to set the air-fuel ratio when the engine is cold but once the engine has started to warm up it shifts to using the upstream O2 sensors to base the air mixture on. A bad upstream O2 sensor can cause the engine to run badly once the engine has started to warm up.

If you decide to replace your upstream sensors make sure to only use NTK, don't use Bosch which doesn't work properly in our Jeep engines.

Bank 1 (front most) O2 sensor: NTK 23018 Upstream means above the precatalytic converter.
Bank 2 (rear most) O2 sensor: NTK 23160 Upstream means above the precatalytic converter.

The below shows where they are located but the below part numbers are NOT correct for your '06. The above part numbers are correct for your '06.

Reactions: John Scoggins