My 99 gas tank leaks

Red Motley

I bought the TJ and found out immediately that the gas tank leaks. It seeps into the tank skid pan and ponds there until I either drive it and slosh it out or it overfills the pan and starts dripping. I bought it and the tank was full (seller musta felt guilty for all the other crap he misrepresented or lied about). Below half tank it doesn't appear to leak. I tried dropping the full tank myself and wound up putting it back until it gets lighter or I get help. Anyone had this problem or have suggestions on best way to fix?

I bought the TJ and found out immediately that the gas tank leaks. It seeps into the tank skid pan and ponds there until I either drive it and slosh it out or it overfills the pan and starts dripping. I bought it and the tank was full (seller musta felt guilty for all the other crap he misrepresented or lied about). Below half tank it doesn't appear to leak. I tried dropping the full tank myself and wound up putting it back until it gets lighter or I get help. Anyone had this problem or have suggestions on best way to fix?

Typically it not the tank itself that leaks, usually it's either the fuel pump seal ring or the pump discharge line. Since it does not leak at a lower level I suspect it would be the fuel pump seal.

As you already noticed the tank should be near empty to drop. I use my rolling floor jack to steady the tank while unbolting then I lower it down and slide it off the jack. Always nice to have extra hands available but I have managed it by myself.

Thanx for the feedback. That was exactly what I was wondering. I used my floor jack too and have a 18X24 piece of plywood set aside for the next attempt. Im gonna get it close to empty and drop it soon to find the culprit. I am hoping all the connections are easily removed so I can drag it out without tearing up wiring or hoses. This is my last priority 1 fix.

Reactions: Chris
Thanx for the feedback. That was exactly what I was wondering. I used my floor jack too and have a 18X24 piece of plywood set aside for the next attempt. Im gonna get it close to empty and drop it soon to find the culprit. I am hoping all the connections are easily removed so I can drag it out without tearing up wiring or hoses. This is my last priority 1 fix.
The harness plug and fuel disconnect are both located on the drivers side inside the frame just forward of the tank. the fuel line can be a pain to disconnect and you should pull the fuel pump relay while it's running until it stalls to relieve the pressure. The relay is in the power distribution center just in front of the battery.

Reactions: Chris
Many thanx. good to know how that thing is plumbed before you are laying on your back with a gas tank on your chest .. ha

Be very very VERY careful disconnecting the lines at the tank. The connectors break easily if forced and then it a new fuel pump. Price a pump and you will understand how careful you need to be. :rolleyes: