my 99 tj wont start

johnny

my 99 tj wont start no check engine lights on but when I put my foot in the gas pedal it starts let go of pedal it dies what do I do

X2 that problem could be caused by the TPS. It could also be caused by the IAC (idle air control) not letting air in at idle RPMs which is commonly caused by the IAC being dirty. The IAC is what provides all of the engine's air when you're not stepping on the gas pedal so if it's not working, the engine won't run at idle rpms. Stepping on the gas pedal while starting the engine opens up the throttle body's valve plate provides an alternate source of air which could be why it starts when you step on the gas.

Removing the IAC from the throttle body and cleaning it and the orifice it fits into with a brush and cleaner may be the fix. The IAC has a solenoid actuated plunger which moves in/out of the orifice in the throttle body via computer control to meter how much air it lets into the throttle body. It's only held onto the throttle body by two torx bolts so it's easy to get off to clean. A soft tooth brush works well on the plunger, a brush like a baby bottle nipple brush works in the orifice.

IAC.jpg

TB & TPS Sensor Locations.jpg

Reactions: Chris