My automatic transmission is on its way out: 42RLE to NSG370 swap?

I'm hoping to get one of these when mine goes. Which I think will be soon because my 42RLE does weird stuff all the time!
2005-6 Wrangler TJs with the 42RLE are known for problems caused by software bugs in the PCM (computer). You might want to talk with Mark at www.wranglerfix.com to see if those problems are caused by the PCM. If they are, their reprogrammed PCM fixes the problems. Mark will know by talking with you if your issues are PCM related.

Also, have you checked your ATF level to see if it's completely up to the full line as it must be? Make sure your engine is running while you're checking its ATF level or the dipstick will show a higher ATF level than it really is.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Hello! I have an 06' TJ with the 42rle in it. I've got 125,000 miles on the jeep and it runs like a top. The only issue is that I'm almost positive my transmission has finally bit the dust. Fluid and filter were done at 120,000 and my computer is good. Just topped the fluid off because it was a bit low and it's still making the infamous "Hard shift" out of first and now has developed a slight "ticking" noise on first startups while in drive and reverse. Once it gets up to operating temp however, it shifts perfectly! Basically, I am done with the 42rle automatic and I want to go back to an old-faithful stick. I have been thinking about this swap for some time now and have gather research but I don't know where to start. If you know of anyone or any shops in Southern California that have any info that would help. I am in college and have saved up roughly 2k for doing a swap like this. Not afraid to wrench on my own either. Let me know if I am dreaming or just plain stupid for trying to get into an nsg370 6-speed for what I've got. Happy Jeeping!
125k is not alot on this trans...flush it and your cooler and fill with ATF+4 fluid...this transmission does not like any other fluid...

Hello! I have an 06' TJ with the 42rle in it. I've got 125,000 miles on the jeep and it runs like a top. The only issue is that I'm almost positive my transmission has finally bit the dust. Fluid and filter were done at 120,000 and my computer is good. Just topped the fluid off because it was a bit low and it's still making the infamous "Hard shift" out of first and now has developed a slight "ticking" noise on first startups while in drive and reverse. Once it gets up to operating temp however, it shifts perfectly! Basically, I am done with the 42rle automatic and I want to go back to an old-faithful stick. I have been thinking about this swap for some time now and have gather research but I don't know where to start. If you know of anyone or any shops in Southern California that have any info that would help. I am in college and have saved up roughly 2k for doing a swap like this. Not afraid to wrench on my own either. Let me know if I am dreaming or just plain stupid for trying to get into an nsg370 6-speed for what I've got. Happy Jeeping!
125k is not alot on this trans...flush it and your cooler and fill with ATF+4 fluid...this transmission does not like any other fluid...

Reactions: Jerry Bransford