My buddies band just did a broadcast tv spot - 60 minutes of airtime!

Ryan Thomas

I have no idea how I got here.
Supporting Member
A good friend of mine has a band that I sponsor (I love that he wears our hats *only*) and they have just done a tv spot for PBS along the gulf coast!
They have been working *really hard* to make it, and I think they are well on their way!

They are called Nick and the Ovorols - and not only does Nick play lead guitar and lead vocals, but he also builds his own amps - Fretgood Amps.
Dude is talented. Feel free to skip around - it just gets better as he goes!

Anyway, they just aired this segment today and also put it up on YouTube - Enjoy!

Reactions: Kyle_W
Very impressive! I could see these guys being on the radio, it's the type of music I like (aside from blues, classic rock, etc.) and I appreciate the fact that these are real musicians (meaning they can actually play their own instruments).

Nice to see a good bassist too. I grew up playing bass guitar in a band, and I was like this guy where I always wanted to play the difficult stuff, not the simple strumming of the bass.

Reactions: Ryan Thomas
Very impressive! I could see these guys being on the radio, it's the type of music I like (aside from blues, classic rock, etc.) and I appreciate the fact that these are real musicians (meaning they can actually play their own instruments).

Nice to see a good bassist too. I grew up playing bass guitar in a band, and I was like this guy where I always wanted to play the difficult stuff, not the simple strumming of the bass.
Yep! Mel is a really good bass player. All the music is Nick's - he's been working on this band since I met him years ago in Chicago. I worked with his wife at Playboy, and we would have them play our parties frequently.

I have a feeling they are on the verge...

They seem like they have the type of talent it would take to get noticed. Of course how do you get noticed these days when MTV doesn't play music videos anymore? When I was young the way I always discovered new music was by watching MTV (notably 120 minutes, which was a great show FYI). Nowadays I guess it's social media or radio?

They seem like they have the type of talent it would take to get noticed. Of course how do you get noticed these days when MTV doesn't play music videos anymore? When I was young the way I always discovered new music was by watching MTV (notably 120 minutes, which was a great show FYI). Nowadays I guess it's social media or radio?
It's still just a *LOT* and I mean *A LOT* of hard grinding on tours.
These cats tour all the time throughout the south, central, mountain and eastern parts of the US - I'm hoping they finally get a real industry booking agent so i can get them to come out to California and jam.

Reactions: Chris
These days it seems like you don't even need a record label. I notice a lot of artists just put their music on iTunes and distribute it themselves, then they make the majority of their money off touring.

But yeah, it's a lot of old fashioned guerrilla marketing for sure.

It's not as easy as it once was. Make a good single, they put you on MTV, then everyone and their mom buys your CD, because there was no such thing as Napster, file sharing, etc.

Yep, I know for sure his first album is on iTunes, and possibly their E.P. they did prior to that - they just need to spread the word!
He is just about to drop his second full studio album in the next month or two - they are finishing the editing now.
I'm pretty confident they will make it big eventually, but that stuff takes time... and he's willing to work it!

Yep, I know for sure his first album is on iTunes, and possibly their E.P. they did prior to that - they just need to spread the word!
He is just about to drop his second full studio album in the next month or two - they are finishing the editing now.
I'm pretty confident they will make it big eventually, but that stuff takes time... and he's willing to work it!

All he needs is like one gig on The Tonight Show, or something, LOL!

But as long as he's willing to keep at it and not give up, that's what gets you famous!