My build

Stinger

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Started with an 05 Rubicon,Sahara, Unlimited number 009. Then bought a 2012 Chevy 2500 HD that had been totaled. Removed the 6.0 and 6L90 and stripped the entire truck and sold or scrapped every other part of it. Started to just do an engine conversion but after 8 years of full time ski patrolling I found the road salt had eaten my jeep badly from the inside out. So it got disassembled down to the last nut and bolt. Reassembled with out boarded shocks, relocated rear spring perches, all rust removed and sections of the frame reinforced. Applied Lizard Skin sound and heat shielding to entire inside, underside, and firewall. Painted the vehicle inside and out Sunset Orange.

As I was almost getting it done we moved from Utah to Oregon and built and new home and shop. What started out to be a 10 month project is over 2 years in process. Almost ready to start off-roading it. I lost nearly all of my photos in a computer crash late last year. However, the entire process from acquiring the truck to assemble to follow up is documented on the ROF forum.

Axle centered.JPG
Back Part.JPG
Control Arm.JPG
Drivetrain.jpg
DSCF5027.JPG
Tub Off 3.JPG
Starting 2.jpg
VORTEC 4.jpg
Tank View.jpg
Spring Perch.JPG
New Shock position.JPG
Firewall.jpg
Firewall LS.jpg
DSCF5027.JPG
Spring Perch.JPG
Almost done.jpg

Last edited:
All I can say is that is going to be one bad ass rig!

Curious, why didn't you throw in a Cummins diesel?

I love the way you've done it so far!

Reactions: CasterTroy
Chris this engine is slightly over 100 pounds lighter than the 4.0. A Cummings would make this 4900 pound rig a real pig! Plus I got a great deal on the truck and I know less than nothing about converting a diesel to a jeep. Plus this jeep is smog legal in Utah. Not sure if I could have pulled that off with a diesel.

Chris this engine is slightly over 100 pounds lighter than the 4.0. A Cummings would make this 4900 pound rig a real pig! Plus I got a great deal on the truck and I know less than nothing about converting a diesel to a jeep. Plus this jeep is smog legal in Utah. Not sure if I could have pulled that off with a diesel.

That's what I figured. I have long contemplated a diesel swap but I am also not sure if be able to get it passed emissions.

Your build is fantastic! Dare I even ask how much money you have into it so far?

Chris kind hard to be accurate. The conversion would come in at less than 10k. However with all of the other stuff that needed to be done probably double that. Then reduce that by a quarter for parts sold. The Atlas was already in because my 241 tcase blew up while the jeep was being towed

Chris kind hard to be accurate. The conversion would come in at less than 10k. However with all of the other stuff that needed to be done probably double that. Then reduce that by a quarter for parts sold. The Atlas was already in because my 241 tcase blew up while the jeep was being towed

Well at least it's done right! It's hard to keep track of how much money we sink into these Jeeps. Mine is Supercharged but at some point I may throw in a V8 as well. I'll bet it really gets up and goes with that V8.

BTW, that Lizard Skin Sound... Is that some sort of sound deadening? Why did you put that on?

I'm just curious because I was thinking about adding some sort of sound deadening to my Rubicon just to make it a little quieter when we take it on highway trips with the family.

Chris the Lizard Skin has two separate products. One, is a sound deadener, and the other is a heat shield. You may use either or, or both. I used both to help with both aspects on my rig. That 6.0 with headers isn't the quietest thing and the cat is hot. Why LS? I had a lot of my initial tuning etc done at Novak in Utah. One of the bosses there had a really nice TJ with a 500+ 6.2 in it. He also has sprayed LS and said it helped in his application!

Reactions: Chris
Chris the Lizard Skin has two separate products. One, is a sound deadener, and the other is a heat shield. You may use either or, or both. I used both to help with both aspects on my rig. That 6.0 with headers isn't the quietest thing and the cat is hot. Why LS? I had a lot of my initial tuning etc done at Novak in Utah. One of the bosses there had a really nice TJ with a 500+ 6.2 in it. He also has sprayed LS and said it helped in his application!

Thanks! I'll keep this in mind during my build. It would be nice to have something there to keep noise out and heat in / out. I hadn't heard about Lizard Skin until now.

Reactions: Stinger
Recovered pictures from another forum. Had over 500 of this entire process but will only add some high lights over the next couple of days.
1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
16.jpg
20.jpg
23.jpg
25.jpg
30.jpg
40.jpg

So... More wiring harness with the V8 or less wiring?

What do you think your mpg is with the V8, better or worse than the 4.0?

I'm actually very seriously looking into this swap.

So... More wiring harness with the V8 or less wiring?

What do you think your mpg is with the V8, better or worse than the 4.0?

I'm actually very seriously looking into this swap.
Hard to answer. There are actually two harness in play. the three PCM plugs to run the instrument stuff and ignition etc. A separate harness that runs just the engine from its own ECM.
I am still battling a CEL code of 150A so the computer hasn't really learned actual run data. This makes it difficult to get a MPG figure. This jeep is 5,000 pounds with 4:88 gears so mileage isn't going to be great anytime. FWIW at 60 I am right at 2k RPM.
I may go to 3:73 or so gears. With the Atlas and 4:88s my 1st gear is almost useless even going down steep grades.

Hard to answer. There are actually two harness in play. the three PCM plugs to run the instrument stuff and ignition etc. A separate harness that runs just the engine from its own ECM.
I am still battling a CEL code of 150A so the computer hasn't really learned actual run data. This makes it difficult to get a MPG figure. This jeep is 5,000 pounds with 4:88 gears so mileage isn't going to be great anytime. FWIW at 60 I am right at 2k RPM.
I may go to 3:73 or so gears. With the Atlas and 4:88s my 1st gear is almost useless even going down steep grades.

Interesting! See, I'm considering a 4BT Cummins swap or the same V8 swap as you did. They're claiming (and maybe this is complete BS) that the Cummins 4BT yields around 28 mpg. The other cool thing about the Cummins is that since it's diesel I could technically run other sources of fuel such as bio-diesel and what not.

Of course, with the 4BT I believe they cost an arm and a leg (not sure yet) in comparison to the V8. I'm going to have to do my research first, but from looking at your V8 swap it seems like it isn't all that difficult to get it up and running (minus battling all the check engine codes and what not, right?).

As far as fitting in the frame, does the V8 require welding of any custom engine mounting brackets, cross members, etc? I would assume it would, but I also don't know if this is something that you can get pre-made or if it's something you have to fab yourself.

Chris Novak has a ton of excellent material on an LS swap There is even considerably more available if you buys stuff from them. I would caution not to go with a Gen IV engine yet. I was the first one Novak did and it was a steep learning curve for them!!!!!!:rolleyes:
Hell this whole project has been a steep learning curve A lot of fun and satisfaction but some times::
297.jpg

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Chris Novak has a ton of excellent material on an LS swap There is even considerably more available if you buys stuff from them. I would caution not to go with a Gen IV engine yet. I was the first one Novak did and it was a steep learning curve for them!!!!!!:rolleyes:
Hell this whole project has been a steep learning curve A lot of fun and satisfaction but some times::View attachment 2063

I'll have to educate myself on all the V8 stuff indeed. I don't even on what a Gen IV engine is (aside from obviously being 4th generation) but I get what you're saying. The older stuff is probably tried and tested, so it would be a sure fire bet versus the newer engine that still has some kinks to work out.

Ultimately there WILL be a swap happening, I just need to figure out what I want to put in there. Ideally I'd love to be able to put something in that gets better than 12mpg, but of course I don't expect this thing to be a Prius or anywhere near that. Just saying, if I am swapping an engine a bit more efficiency might be cool.

Interesting! See, I'm considering a 4BT Cummins swap or the same V8 swap as you did. They're claiming (and maybe this is complete BS) that the Cummins 4BT yields around 28 mpg. The other cool thing about the Cummins is that since it's diesel I could technically run other sources of fuel such as bio-diesel and what not.

Of course, with the 4BT I believe they cost an arm and a leg (not sure yet) in comparison to the V8. I'm going to have to do my research first, but from looking at your V8 swap it seems like it isn't all that difficult to get it up and running (minus battling all the check engine codes and what not, right?).

As far as fitting in the frame, does the V8 require welding of any custom engine mounting brackets, cross members, etc? I would assume it would, but I also don't know if this is something that you can get pre-made or if it's something you have to fab yourself.

I got my mounts premade from Novak. However it took a lot of time and trial with errors to get them just right. Then for me to weld them in. If you are not going to pull the tub then it makes it a bit easier because you don't have to drop the tub back on for test fitting. And of course you need to mock up the front end to make sure the cooling system will fit. Except for taking the engine to Novak for the first engine harness run and wiring and for towing the whole thing back to get computer issues resolved I have done all of the work by myself. First in Utah in the 2 car garage and now in my new shop complete with a 2 post lift.
This will take time so plan carefully for the down time.

I got my mounts premade from Novak. However it took a lot of time and trial with errors to get them just right. Then for me to weld them in. If you are not going to pull the tub then it makes it a bit easier because you don't have to drop the tub back on for test fitting. And of course you need to mock up the front end to make sure the cooling system will fit. Except for taking the engine to Novak for the first engine harness run and wiring and for towing the whole thing back to get computer issues resolved I have done all of the work by myself. First in Utah in the 2 car garage and now in my new shop complete with a 2 post lift.
This will take time so plan carefully for the down time.

Oh yeah, I expect it will sit for at least a year with the tub off the frame, at which case I'll be doing more than just an engine swap. I don't plan on starting this for a few more years. It's going to be one of those 'once the kids start school' things. Haha!

I told my wife today maybe it will be a 'once I turn 40 thing' and she just got mad at me.

I told my wife today maybe it will be a 'once I turn 40 thing' and she just got mad at me.[/QUOTE]

Hell Bells! Just wait until you start doing it. Wives have a special knack of riding your ass with a smile.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris