My Camp Trailer Build

aroth2004

Hey everyone,
I want to share the Roof Top Tent Trailer I built this spring. This was my senior project in High school. I want to post it here if anyone is interested in building one themselves. I did not find much help while I was building it so I figured I would share mine. It started out as a harbor freight trailer I got from a family in my town. A friend of mine helped to weld it together to strengthen it and we put on a new axle, wheels, and tires. I then started to frame the main box/ storage part of it out of 2x3 and 3/4" Ply. I then painted the whole thing with primer and Monstaliner bed line to keep it all dry. I have a Smittybilt Overlander Gen 2 on top mounted with galvanized pipe that is through bolted to the inside studs.
If anyone has any questions don't hesitate to reach out, I would love to share my experience with building this.
-Alex
72DF3A62-80E2-48E8-8DD2-32CFF721C11A_1_105_c.jpeg

77DFEC3E-E727-4CF2-9352-C935093AA76E_1_105_c.jpeg

6BF2051E-B953-4CEA-9211-11FCA00D1F32_1_105_c.jpeg

C51BDD0D-3242-4055-95E9-D75908162BE7_1_105_c.jpeg

19B1D654-E7CD-4ACB-B2C4-6F9C3BCC6B8F_1_105_c.jpeg

What does this mean? I've used this forum before but never posted on it. I'm new here, did I do something wrong?

They’re just moving your thread to the proper category. Nice work!

What does this mean? I've used this forum before but never posted on it. I'm new here, did I do something wrong?

You accidentally posted this thread in the wrong section. Nothing to worry about at all, I moved it for you 👍

Hey everyone,
I want to share the Roof Top Tent Trailer I built this spring. This was my senior project in High school. I want to post it here if anyone is interested in building one themselves. I did not find much help while I was building it so I figured I would share mine. It started out as a harbor freight trailer I got from a family in my town. A friend of mine helped to weld it together to strengthen it and we put on a new axle, wheels, and tires. I then started to frame the main box/ storage part of it out of 2x3 and 3/4" Ply. I then painted the whole thing with primer and Monstaliner bed line to keep it all dry. I have a Smittybilt Overlander Gen 2 on top mounted with galvanized pipe that is through bolted to the inside studs.
If anyone has any questions don't hesitate to reach out, I would love to share my experience with building this.
-Alex
View attachment 353369

View attachment 353370

View attachment 353372

View attachment 353373

View attachment 353374

What’s the exterior of the box made of? Are there compartments inside the box? Maybe a slide out grille or something? I could be interested in building something like this with a generator, slide out stove, shower, built in cooler, et al

Reactions: Wildman and PRNDL
Hey everyone,
-Alex
View attachment 353369

View attachment 353370

View attachment 353372

View attachment 353373

View attachment 353374
Beautiful, very nice work and a big welcome to WTF! :)

Reactions: Wildman
What’s the exterior of the box made of? Are there compartments inside the box? Maybe a slide out grille or something? I could be interested in building something like this with a generator, slide out stove, shower, built in cooler, et al

I haven't gotten to finishing the inside yet, The whole thing is framed with 2x3s, 3/4 ply, and painted with Monstaliner Bed Liner. My plan for the fall/ winter is to put on a tongue box with electronics and run solar on it. I have a Blackstone grill and a cooler I keep in the front part of it. I haven't built the slides for everything yet. I left for college a week after finishing the exterior so I have some time here to plan everything out to finish out the inside when I get back. As for right now, it is open in the front/ middle for storage. You can't tell in those photos but the back part of it is a countertop I built in for food prep.

59E73687-D1BC-4E7D-B0A0-C8D8C7B409C7_1_105_c.jpeg

This looks great, I'd love to know more about the build and materials used. Right now it's a lot like how I was taught to draw an owl.

View attachment 353378

It's a Harbor freight 4x8 foot trailer. I got an axle from tractor supply to run bigger tires, they're 15x5 trailer wheels with all terrains on them. The box is framed out of 2x3 and 3/4 plywood. All hinges and latches are from Lowes. The exterior is covered in Monstaliner Bed Liner. The tent is a Smittybilt Overlander Gen 2 held on with pipe. I don't have all the dimensions in front of me but the box on top is 4x8x2.

Reactions: Wildman and rasband
It's a Harbor freight 4x8 foot trailer. I got an axle from tractor supply to run bigger tires, they're 15x5 trailer wheels with all terrains on them. The box is framed out of 2x3 and 3/4 plywood. All hinges and latches are from Lowes. The exterior is covered in Monstaliner Bed Liner. The tent is a Smittybilt Overlander Gen 2 held on with pipe. I don't have all the dimensions in front of me but the box on top is 4x8x2.

Great job! How did you seal around the various doors? I've never build anything like this so really have no idea.

Great job! How did you seal around the various doors? I've never build anything like this so really have no idea.

I got most materials from lowes, I used a standard door/window seal. They are pretty tight clearance so this is something I am planning on changing in the near future. I have not had it out in the rain yet so I can't comment on how effective they are at keeping water out

I wonder if you could recess the doors to a panel behind like the exterior doors on an RV. Then use some insulating piping adhesived to the panel to seal it. Experiment. Might be waterproof enough for a rain storm.

Reactions: rasband and Wildman
Looks great! And kudos for actually building something real! You've already passed most of the dreamers/blowhards on the internet!

3/4 ply and 2x3 framing is rather heavy. Hard to see the fastening pattern after it's painted but it looks like you didn't use nearly enough at the edges. Max spacing should be 6" oc, 2" or 3" would be better. Defiantly drill pilot holes when going <3". I'd also recommend "glue and screw" construction but it's a bit late now.

Painting the inside will also help it last longer. Ventilation/drains are also important.

Are you going to put fenders on it? Keep it painted and it'll last a long time. Nice work!

Reactions: Wildman and rasband