My daughter's '99 TJ SE

tykesplace

TJ Enthusiast
My daughter graduates high school this year. She's been driving a Dodge Durango for a couple of years. She half-jokingly calls it a Mom-car. I mostly agree with her.

So for her graduation present we asked her what she might like. Without hesitation she says "A Jeep!". Little did she know what we had already been looking at this '99 SE 2.5L, manual transmission. $5500.

It's in great shape. Just ticked over 120k. No body damage or rust anywhere. Mechanicals are all good. Compression is on point and no leaks. Not even a drip. We've had it down the highway at 75+ and it runs straight and smooth. Noisy AF with the soft top, but that's part of the fun, right? We did some minor off road last weekend. 4H and 4L work great. Personally I wish it had a 4.0L, but the 2.5L will be fine for her.

Just few minor things to fix.
  • I'm working on getting the soft windows cleared up. Trying Meguiars PlastX. Might give Flitz a shot.
  • Left turn signal is sometimes blocked by the brakes if I signal first. If I brake first then it blinks correctly. I think it's a grounding issue.
  • Driver's door lock switch was disconnected. Easy fix.
  • Soft top needs some new zipper pulls.
  • Driver seat vinyl is trashed, and seat covers are old. Just need new ones.
  • The heater zone switch power connecter was melted. Someone shorted the 12v/Gnd together so the fan wouldn't turn off. I replaced the plug and switch with junk yard parts. $5.
  • Clear coat on the hood is mostly gone and paint oxidized. I think I can repaint it myself.
  • Spare was the original 20 year old tire! Local shop installed a take off for $35.
  • Previous owner had the dealer go over it last May when he bought it. But he only drove it 700 miles. So to still has 2300 left on the oil change.
I think that's about it. I get to teach my kid to drive a stick, so that's fun. I learned so long ago that I had kind of forgotten how much there is to think about. But she's bringing it all back. I think I'm going to need a chiropractor.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_972a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_972d.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9731.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_972f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9730.jpg

What an awesome vehicle to enjoy as a kid, seriously.

And learning to drive stick... that's just a lost art that the modern generation knows nothing about anymore, so I commend you on that. I think your daughter is really going to enjoy this thing!

What an awesome vehicle to enjoy as a kid, seriously.

And learning to drive stick... that's just a lost art that the modern generation knows nothing about anymore, so I commend you on that. I think your daughter is really going to enjoy this thing!

#2 on this is a lost art..... (I learned @ 14 on a TR6 thanks to may brother).... had to teach my (now) wife to drive stick 20+ yrs ago (dating myself)....

What an Awesome Grad Present... Congrats....

Reactions: Chris
Super cool, has she stopped smiling yet? Montana is such a great place to own a Jeep!