My Dumbassery Knows No Bounds

Jamison C

Heil Savvy 🙋‍♂️
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
So for those who don’t know, I bought a very well kept 2002 Toyota Tundra back in May with only 78k miles on it. I took it to San Diego a couple weeks ago with no issues and all of my fluids looked good, but I decided to show it some love after the 1000 mile trip by doing an oil change.

I went through the usual stuff, drained the fluid, had to take the front skid off, pulled the filter and replaced that too, put everything back together and let the engine idle till it was at operating temp. The service manual says the best way to check level is to get the engine up to temp, shut it off for 5 minutes, then check the dipstick. Ironically, my Jeep manual calls for the same procedure. Whilst checking the level, the dipstick showed way over full and it still looked kind of black still. Unusual, but I chalked it up to not knowing this vehicle as well as my Jeep.

Anyways after all is said and done, I go to take a quick drive and the transmission slips, then kicks. Huh, that’s weird. Maybe it’s just me. Runs fine for about 1/2 mile, then slips and kicks again. Ok, now I know it’s not just me, so I drive it another 1/2 mile and park it back at home.

Then the question pops into my head, in the form of panic. Did I drain the right fluid? Is my transmission low? So I decide to take a peak under the the truck at the drivetrain. Sure enough, I identify the bolt I pulled as the plug for the transmission pan. THE TRANSMISSION PAN. Which then brings me to my next concern, my engine is now overfilled by 6.5 quarts! :(

Luckily, I used what evidently-little common sense I do have and did not hammer the engine and tranny during my short mile-long journey. I expected to see oil spewed all over the place and found nothing of the sort, so I don’t think I created enough pressure to damage any seals and blow oil out of any orifices. So I’ll be having this towed to the dealer to deal with because it’s not worth my time to do myself, quite literally. I’ve been wanting to do a full fluid flush front to back, so I guess now is the time.

As I moved the truck back into the garage and pulled my Jeep back out (been using it all week), I felt a sense of peace listening to it run, despite my errors and what it’s going to cost me. It feels good to own a vehicle that I know every nook-and-cranny of, and every in-and-out.
68B476EF-DCDD-42ED-8369-2D39A07CC333.jpeg

Gonna have it towed to the nearest Toyota dealer. I’ve been wanting to do a coolant, diff, and transmission flush, so might as well knock it all out at once. $815 to do the listed services above, plus an oil change.

Years ago, my dad told me that sometimes doing things myself might not always be worth my time. He told me to consider the time I’d spend completing a project, and compare it to what I make. Even though it’s my free time, is it worth sacrificing that time when I can pay for it out of pocket and make that back in X amount of time on the clock? That philosophy has allowed me justify paying out certain work over the years, and I feel fine with it.

Except the TJ. No one touches the TJ :)

I did the same thing one of the first times I did my own oil change after getting my license. I had to run to Walmart in a borrowed car at 1am to make it to a morning obligation!

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
So for those who don’t know, I bought a very well kept 2002 Toyota Tundra back in May with only 78k miles on it. I took it to San Diego a couple weeks ago with no issues and all of my fluids looked good, but I decided to show it some love after the 1000 mile trip by doing an oil change.

I went through the usual stuff, drained the fluid, had to take the front skid off, pulled the filter and replaced that too, put everything back together and let the engine idle till it was at operating temp. The service manual says the best way to check level is to get the engine up to temp, shut it off for 5 minutes, then check the dipstick. Ironically, my Jeep manual calls for the same procedure. Whilst checking the level, the dipstick showed way over full and it still looked kind of black still. Unusual, but I chalked it up to not knowing this vehicle as well as my Jeep.

Anyways after all is said and done, I go to take a quick drive and the transmission slips, then kicks. Huh, that’s weird. Maybe it’s just me. Runs fine for about 1/2 mile, then slips and kicks again. Ok, now I know it’s not just me, so I drive it another 1/2 mile and park it back at home.

Then the question pops into my head, in the form of panic. Did I drain the right fluid? Is my transmission low? So I decide to take a peak under the the truck at the drivetrain. Sure enough, I identify the bolt I pulled as the plug for the transmission pan. THE TRANSMISSION PAN. Which then brings me to my next concern, my engine is now overfilled by 6.5 quarts! :(

Luckily, I used what evidently-little common sense I do have and did not hammer the engine and tranny during my short mile-long journey. I expected to see oil spewed all over the place and found nothing of the sort, so I don’t think I created enough pressure to damage any seals and blow oil out of any orifices. So I’ll be having this towed to the dealer to deal with because it’s not worth my time to do myself, quite literally. I’ve been wanting to do a full fluid flush front to back, so I guess now is the time.

As I moved the truck back into the garage and pulled my Jeep back out (been using it all week), I felt a sense of peace listening to it run, despite my errors and what it’s going to cost me. It feels good to own a vehicle that I know every nook-and-cranny of, and every in-and-out.
View attachment 346245

Look at the bright side, at least you didn't double stack the oil filter gasket and pump 8 quarts of black diesel oil all over a very nice driveway that had to look as pristine as it was before you decided to stop it from rusting.

It happens. I replaced wheel bearings on my 280z one time when I was 19, weeks after helping my little brother replace cv shafts on his honda. Instead of reading the manual and learning about preload or putting any critical thought into the process, I gave that spindle nut the business.

I made it 20 miles before the spindle, bearing, hub, and nut got all mixed up and decided to blow the cap off and start a grease fire on their way to becoming one single piece of steel and doing it's best to yank me over center into oncoming traffic.

• Wow
Reactions: Zorba

View attachment 346245

Dude, I do that shiite. Don't do that.

I was taking temperature readings with my IR gun the other day to have a before/after comparison for replacing it.

The next day I drove 3 miles to a gas station, filled up and then drove another mile to the hardware store, pulled rather spiritedly into a parking space and felt and heard a crunch. Got out and walk around to the passenger side to see the shattered remains of my IR gun. Guessing I probably left it on my bumper.

I was taking temperature readings with my IR gun the other day to have a before/after comparison for replacing it.

The next day I drove 3 miles to a gas station, filled up and then drove another mile to the hardware store, pulled rather spiritedly into a parking space and felt and heard a crunch. Got out and walk around to the passenger side to see the shattered remains of my IR gun. Guessing I probably left it on my bumper.

Fortunately it was from harbor freight and not something really expensive.

Back when I was younger and dumber (well, 2 weeks ago) I painted and reinstalled my front bumper. Took some pictures, went in the house, looked at the pictures and saw the recovery hooks on backward, like bull horns. Oops. Ran out there and turned them around before anyone noticed.

Bullhorns.jpg

Back when I was younger and dumber (well, 2 weeks ago) I painted and reinstalled my front bumper. Took some pictures, went in the house, looked at the pictures and saw the recovery hooks on backward, like bull horns. Oops. Ran out there and turned them around before anyone noticed.

View attachment 347090

200.gif

Reactions: ColoJeep and RINC
Well 500 bucks later and my oil, transmission, and rear diff have been thoroughly flushed. Stuff I wanted done anyways so I’m ok with it.

I wanted to do a coolant flush as well. What I’m not on with is that the petcock on my radiator is broken off (aftermarket) and it and the hoses are leaking. I’m not bothered by that, they’re wear items, I get it. But the dealer wants 1k for the parts and labor!!! Yikes.

They mentioned the bushings in my lower control arms are shot. Ok how much? $1800 for parts and labor! My rack and pinion has a ever so tiny leak and they want less to fix that than the control arms.

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
Well 500 bucks later and my oil, transmission, and rear diff have been thoroughly flushed. Stuff I wanted done anyways so I’m ok with it.

I wanted to do a coolant flush as well. What I’m not on with is that the petcock on my radiator is broken off (aftermarket) and it and the hoses are leaking. I’m not bothered by that, they’re wear items, I get it. But the dealer wants 1k for the parts and labor!!! Yikes.

They mentioned the bushings in my lower control arms are shot. Ok how much? $1800 for parts and labor! My rack and pinion has a ever so tiny leak and they want less to fix that than the control arms.

The function of the dealer service is not to service, it's to find reasons to get more money out of you.

Reactions: DEValken and RINC

View attachment 347090

Oh, come on, man! Nobody does something THAT dumb... Well, almost nobody! After trimming and reinstalling my bumper I drove around for almost a week before I noticed the problem. Dumbassery, The Director's Cut. BTW, love your build thread.

132.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: RINC

I did almost the same thing with one of my DSLR cameras. Left it on the front bumper, it stayed there for a couple of miles and fell off at a stop sign.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I did almost the same thing with one of my DSLR cameras. Left it on the front bumper, it stayed there for a couple of miles and fell off at a stop sign.

One of these days I'll do it with something expensive enough to teach me the lesson. This is not the first time I've done this. I blame Jeep for giving me all these flat, shelf-like surfaces on which to put stuff.

Probably the most sickening one is when I left a wrench on the radiator support on my 280z and closed the hood. The wrench, at that point, was quite secure, squeezed under the now deformed hood.

• Wow
Reactions: Zorba

Toyota has to make up revenue for all those frames they replaced in the tacomas and tundras here in the salty north.

One of these days I'll do it with something expensive enough to teach me the lesson. This is not the first time I've done this. I blame Jeep for giving me all these flat, shelf-like surfaces on which to put stuff.

Probably the most sickening one is when I left a wrench on the radiator support on my 280z and closed the hood. The wrench, at that point, was quite secure, squeezed under the now deformed hood.

I was on my phone and distracted one day. Finished my call and set it down on the tonneau cover of my pickup and went into the flooring store to meet my wife. Finished our business there, got back in the truck and drove away.

Made it about 10 miles at 75 mph before the info display told me my phone disconnected. Went another 10 or so (to a restaurant) before I realized I was missing my phone and the reason it disconnected was that it finally fell from its resting spot in the truck bed.

Oops. Good thing for insurance