My firearm mishap, accidents DO happen

Distractions are a real concern for sure. I also think over confidence can breed complacency. A lack of frequent exposure to your weapons can also cause mishandling. It’s kind of a double edged sword. You need to be frequently exposed but not to the point of forgetting you could be one slip from disaster. My wife carries every day but doesn’t actually load/ unload deal with the guns features very often. I try to force the issue with her so I know she will be prepared and safe if she ever needed to deal with a bad guy. Stay safe out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I completely agree. And your wife and mine are in the same boat, by the way, so that really hits home for me. ;)

Reactions: BendLarry
Negligent - "failing to take proper care in doing something."

I think it's negligent and stupidity.
How does one take proper care in shooting a firearm into the air, or shooting a "filled propane tank"? We'll just let it go on semantics, I guess. I stand by my original assessment. Sorry.

How does one take proper care in shooting a firearm into the air, or shooting a "filled propane tank"? We'll just let it go on semantics, I guess. I stand by my original assessment. Sorry.

I think there are plenty of safe ways to do these things. Ever watch Mythbusters? They tend to take precautions seriously. Doesn't mean you can do it on a highschool budget.

There was a string a negligent discharges in my area about 6 months ago. About enough to make me okay with gun control because nobody else was controlling their guns.

Started with teens shooting a filled propane tank, you could hear it for miles.
Next one neighbor kid shot at my house repeatedly (supposedly he was shooting into the air, which is a big no no).
Other neighbor had a jammed gun and shot himself in the hand trying to clear it.
Ended the summer with somebody "accidentally" shooting their friend dead.

Be careful guys! Accidental discharges are not something that makes gun ownership look like a good thing.

Most of those sound like intentional discharges!
Believe me when I say I cringe Everytime I hear about a shooting on the news, especially if it involved an AR-15.
I cringe because I know it's another hit to the future of gun ownership rights.
I also hate when I go to my range only to see that some POS decided he needed to shoot the ceilings, the sidewalls or purposely shoot the target holder.
We had a really nice outdoor range shutdown because of stupidity, so trust me when I say, I don't take what happened to me lightly.

Reactions: Squatch
Humph, and my wife who has little experience with guns scoffs when I say check for rounds in the chamber , double check, check again, then check once more when you pick up or are handed a gun.

Glad you are ok!

a neighbor of someone i know, was showing off a gun or something like that, an went off an killed the teenager. the storys are endless. if there were no accidents with guns, it would take some heat off of those who, want guns. But, people are not perfect, just as you have learned by yours going off, an people have quirks that cause accidents with guns. how to have the guns, with no accidents an no one using them to kill others......is the trillion dollar question. An manning up an saying, it happened to you, helps in that battle to help prevent them accidents, so others can see, it can happen to them, hopefully making them a bit more careful.

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/charts-and-maps

Reactions: Travis
So glad it didn't go through a wall or ceiling and hit someone. "Know your target and what is beyond it." I carry every day all the time and when in bed I have a 380 in my night stand. I am in many woman tact scenarios and I can tell you allot of people just don't heed others warnings. As a range safety officer I see so many people be warned and they just sluff it off and giggle...so so bad..

Thanks for being brave enough to speak up about this and I'm glad to hear that no one was hurt. I know a lot of people like to pretend that mistakes never happen with firearms, but no matter how seriously someone takes safety or how well they are trained, mistakes still happen.

When I was in high school, I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment with my dad. My dad is a Vietnam vet and has always been a very organized and responsible guy (one of the only people I know that starches and irons his jeans regularly). However, one day when I was playing video games in my room with a few friends, I heard a loud pop from the other room. It turned out that my dad was cleaning his gun in his bedroom and missed a bullet in the chamber. We then noticed that the bullet had traveled through the wall into my bedroom, leaving a bullet hole in my closet and then hitting the floor. When we traced the trajectory, we found that it traveled just inches under my friend's ass, under his chair.

So anytime I see someone mock someone else for a firearm accident, I just shake my head. Sure, poor training and awareness will increase the likeliness of accidents, but accidents can still happen to anyone.

It's like that one quote: The difference between a wise man and a fool is that the fool thinks himself to be wise and the wise man knows himself to be a fool.

When it comes to firearms, there is no "unintentional" or "accidental" discharge - it's always a "negligent discharge".

I had a close call when I was just learning to shoot. Dad (WW2 era army air core Gunner and later MP) was teaching safety and aiming. My sister was there (mistake #1), I was about 9 (mistake #2?), and I was learning on a shotgun too big for me (mistake #3).
Since sister was not focus of training dad or I were not watching her nor was she part of safety discussion. As I looked to target and so did dad- sister decided to run in front of gun. When I pulled the trigger her head was about 2' from the muzzle.
I missed her but never forgot that close call.

Closest call I had was going out on a night-time perimeter patrol. Our platoon went out and did a couple-hour patrol around our COP at night. Came back in after an uneventful patrol and went to the clearing barrel like we do after every mission.

Popped the top on my SAW and looked down and realized I'd not put the bolt back in properly after cleaning it last time - it wasn't put back in properly and wouldn't have fired if I needed it to. Would have had to disassemble it a bit to fix it had we gotten into a firefight.

Thankfully that was the only time that happened.

I had a close call when I was just learning to shoot. Dad (WW2 era army air core Gunner and later MP) was teaching safety and aiming. My sister was there (mistake #1), I was about 9 (mistake #2?), and I was learning on a shotgun too big for me (mistake #3).
Since sister was not focus of training dad or I were not watching her nor was she part of safety discussion. As I looked to target and so did dad- sister decided to run in front of gun. When I pulled the trigger her head was about 2' from the muzzle.
I missed her but never forgot that close call.
Wow! Close call for sure!
Where have you been hiding? Haven't seen you on here for awhile.