My First Jeep - 1976 CJ5 Levi's Renegade

randy328

Busy doing nothing.
Supporting Member
Here's a pic I found of me taking the top down on my Levi's CJ5 (it snapped onto the tub, no Velcro). Picture taken shortly after I got it, I was about 45 pounds lighter and 45 years younger than I am now. Bought it new for around $3,750. Wish I still had it.

Renegade.JPG

Last edited:
I rebuilt a CJ5 years ago and sold it, probably my favorite Jeep of all time. My grandfather had CJ(?) way back when I was really young, I still remember cruising around in that thing, some day I’ll build another CJ5, a clean, simple, just cruising Jeep.

Reactions: John Cooper
I rebuilt a CJ5 years ago and sold it, probably my favorite Jeep of all time. My grandfather had CJ(?) way back when I was really young, I still remember cruising around in that thing, some day I’ll build another CJ5, a clean, simple, just cruising Jeep.

It started my love of Jeeps for sure, the TJ I have now is number 5 (I need to quit selling them after a few years when another one catches my eye. I think the TJ is a keeper). On the CJ, I never did anything to it except tires. Couldn't afford anything else, just out of high school and I also had a motorcycle compulsion. Had a CJ7 and a couple of YJs. Had the most issues with the YJs.

When I graduated high school I bought a brand new 83 CJ 5, last one Delph’s garage and Jeep had on the lot. Over the next 20 years I put a 350 chevy in it, T-18 4 speed from an F350, fiberglass body, wide trac axles.....It was a lot of fun, went like hell but did not stop worth poop. 2003 I gave it to my younger brother, he still has it......

Reactions: AndyG and randy328
Here's a pic I found of me taking the top down on my Levi's CJ5 (it snapped onto the tub, no Velcro). Picture taken shortly after I got it, I was about 45 pounds lighter and 45 years younger than I am now. Bought it new for around $3,750. Wish I still had it.

View attachment 165567
Man I was about 10 the first time I saw a guy in one of those ...and I was pretty sure a jeep was the coolest vehicle on Earth. 43 years later, I still do.

Thanks for the reminder. I had a 74 cj5 and a 79 cj5 renegade , black with orange and yellow decals.

Good memories .

Reactions: randy328
I started college in 1986 and wanted so bad to take a one way flight to Mexico and drive back a brand new one. Kept hearing they were cheap down there and you could buy one from the mfg plant.

Cool Jeep.. I was always intrigued by the Levi’s edition!.. hard to find!!... I bet u still wish you had it

Love the old Jeeps!!!! I started my love affair with Jeeps in 1977, we had just moved to TX and the ranch my Dad managed had a 1953 CJ. The owner told me to keep it full of gas and drive it every day.

Since that time I have owned 10 Jeeps, the model that has eluded me is the CJ-6 and now they are well out of my price range.

Always loved the Levi's edition !!!!