My first unofficial "mod"

CBJason

TJ Enthusiast
So, been noticing that the dogs seem uncomfortable and hot in the back, and since I inherited the jeep with no rear seat, decided it was ok to take out the buckles now. Picked up a Torx socket set at Tractor Supply ($6 by the way, so super cheap) and took it out.

Step 2: I decided to lay down a thick piece of Styrene insulation down to act as kind of a barrier against the heat that likely emanates up from the tub:

insulation.jpg

Step 3: Laid the factory carpet back down, noticed that the components on the side are also about the same height as the Styrene

factory carpet.jpg

Photo Jul 24, 11 04 41 AM.jpg

Step 4: So, I found a carpet scrap and laid it down on top of everything. So, now even if we go to the lake and wet dogs get up in here, it's all good:

carpet scrap.jpg

No plans to EVER put a rug back in Stinger! Working hard tO get the AC working again.

The side torx bolts are holding the rear seat mounting brackets in place. You can remove them (and plug the holes if desired) without hurting anything for the way you are using the jeep.

BTW: When/if you remove your rear seat mounts you might want to use the threaded inserts in the tub to mount some tie down track. This would make it easier to tie down cargo either on or off road. The tie down track would sit mostly flush with the insulating board you are now using.

image.jpg

To give you an idea what I mean, this picture shows piece of "O Track" I got from Home Depot mounted to the two threaded inserts that originally held the rather poor factory tie down loops. I mounted it using countersunk M8-1.25 bolts. These bolts originally held the door striker loop on the B and C pillars of most late model Chrysler vehicles. They are an easy find in a salvage yard (and the striker loop is handy as well)