My foray into TJ territory

thomat65

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
This morning @sa1126 posted a find: a $4200 LJ with a bad transmission.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/4200-lj-needs-transmission.28800/
You guys talk up the Southern Jeep. Well... "only" 198k miles in the San Antonio area. So I reached out to the seller. Frame looks amazing. Sounds like the engine and everything else is fine. Seems like a solid individual, too.

Long story short, he's hanging onto it until I can fly down there to check it out this weekend. $331 round-trip. Shipping quotes look like they'd be slightly under $1000. New transmission I'm guesstimating will be less than $1500. We'll see what else needs replacing.

But I might be getting a Southern LJ with a nice frame and new transmission for $7000!

@AndyG will you be disappointed if I lose the Alfred E. Neuman privilege?

Anyone want to take bets on how long I can bear the TJ life?

Last edited:
Damn, someone jumped on that quick! It's a great deal if all it needs is a transmission and maybe some other minor stuff. The frame is the important part.

A new transmission (and labor) can be had for around 3k or less, give or take.

Let us know if you end up getting it, and welcome to the madness (in advance)!

Reactions: thomat65
Make sure it doesn't have any signs of flooding from that big storm that flooded Houston a couple years ago. I know it's in San Antonio, but you never know where it's been. Look for grass, leaves, sticks etc in crevasses and corners where they shouldn't be.

It's likely a very good deal. You can get remanufactured HD 42RLE from Bullripper with an 18 month warranty for just over $2000 and a core charge. There's an option to upgrade it to 3 year warranty. I've not used one of these, but recently have seen a member or two on thos site has gotten one.

Good luck with it. (y)

You guys talk up the Southern Jeep. Well... "only" 190k miles in the San Antonio area. So I reached out to the seller. Frame looks amazing. Sounds like the engine and everything else is fine. Seems like a solid individual, too.

Long story short, he's hanging onto it until I can fly down there to check it out this weekend. $331 round-trip. Shipping quotes look like they'd be slightly under $1000. New transmission I'm guesstimating will be less than $1500. We'll see what else needs replacing.

But I might be getting a Southern LJ with a nice frame and new transmission for $7000!

Actually, is anyone in San Antonio with no plans on Saturday? Or have any friends around there? I'd love some experienced eyes to come along with me.

A new transmission (and labor) can be had for around 3k or less, give or take

Tells you how bad my guesstimating is lol. Yeah I'm thinking I'll certainly go for it if it's only transmission and minor stuff.

You can get remanufactured HD 42RLE from Bullripper

Thanks for the pointer. I'll check it out.

Reactions: Chris
You guys talk up the Southern Jeep. Well... "only" 190k miles in the San Antonio area. So I reached out to the seller. Frame looks amazing. Sounds like the engine and everything else is fine. Seems like a solid individual, too.

I think you need to be Alfred E. for a 6 month trial period once you get one .

All likes count as votes. 2 votes does it.

I will give him a choice?:
1574175260879.png

Reactions: AndyG
WHOA!!! I never thought this would materialize for someone but I am glad I posted it. I hope it works out, let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

I know we have some plans on Saturday but I might be able to break away.

Reactions: thomat65
What is the choice? I see 2 pics of the same guy.🧐 Good luck on the TJ. I think you will make a wonderful couple!

Last edited: