my jeep makes noises..

Eric 01 TJ

So my names eric and I have just become a member of this forum... I have an 01 TJ that I have recently put plenty of money into the inside of it.. And don't have any real mechanical experience so not much moey into the underneath of it. But my jeep makes noises.. When I drive it squeaks makes a crack noise every once in a while and I have no clue what it is.. I know this can be a wide variety of things.. but I don't know what to do. So I was wondering if there was anyone on here that could refer me to a jeep expert or a jeep mechanics shop that I could talk to someone about suspension shocks lift kit problems or perhaps upgrades and such. I live in Frankfort Illinois which is 45 minutes south of Chicago. Just wondering if anyone could gimme a couple references? or possibilities on what my noises might be.

Welcome to the forum. I would look at the suspension. Check for worn parts; worn/cracked bushings, dry tie rods/ball joints, worn out shocks, cracked body bushings, etc.

Reactions: JP13
Welcome to the forum Eric!

Yep, that's a pretty vague diagnosis. @Rob5589 is correct in his recommendation of checking the suspension and drivetrain for worn parts. This could be anything from a bad u-joint to a cracked / worn bushing, seriously.

As for good mechanics (which is probably what it sounds like you need), I'd look on Google for local mechanics who specialize in Jeeps, 4x4s or off-road. Those are going to be the best type of mechanics to go to.

@GI_JC, @Klem B, @p.sauce1123, @Lou, @Schwiegs99, @Mike Hansen, @jos, @tony'sgfhasajeep are all somewhat local to you, so hopefully one of them might chime in!