My Jeep sings to me and it's crooked...

mgroeger

TJ Enthusiast
Well today is "I've had my Jeep for a week now and I'm blasting the forum with questions day" since this is my third post and a double one at that. LOL.

1st - I've noticed my LJ definitely leans to the left when looked at from the rear. The OME suspension is only 1.5 years old and has less than 10k on it. I'm not looking for perfection but this seems a little odd to me, I'm guessing it's about 1.5" tilted.

2nd - Yesterday I noticed my Jeep whistling as I was coming to a stop. Almost like a bird singing, it's pretty weird. As I slow down, as in coming to a stop, I can hear a whistle coming from the front end, possibly the passenger side. As I continue to slow down the whistle slows down and then stops with me stopping. Then when I start to go again it starts back up and goes away when I get going, I'm guessing around 20-25 mph. Also it doesn't do it all the time. It seems to start doing it after I've driven the Jeep awhile, as in when I leave work it doesn't do it but as I get closer to home it starts. The only thing I thought of is the plastic spinners that are on the end of the axles to keep dirt out of the tubes, although I highly doubt that's it.
Oh, I almost forgot, I have black magic rotors and pads on it in case anyone was thinking it is break noise.

Hi there,

I am sure the pros will have more solid advice for you than me, but you are looking at your jeep sitting at an absolute flat surface right? The area next to my garage, where I park mine, is a bit tilted and it always looks crooked when I look at it.

1st - I've noticed my LJ definitely leans to the left when looked at from the rear. The OME suspension is only 1.5 years old and has less than 10k on it. I'm not looking for perfection but this seems a little odd to me, I'm guessing it's about 1.5" tilted.

Post some photos. Are you sure you included the spring spacer on all 4 coils?

2nd - Yesterday I noticed my Jeep whistling as I was coming to a stop. Almost like a bird singing, it's pretty weird. As I slow down, as in coming to a stop, I can hear a whistle coming from the front end, possibly the passenger side. As I continue to slow down the whistle slows down and then stops with me stopping. Then when I start to go again it starts back up and goes away when I get going, I'm guessing around 20-25 mph. Also it doesn't do it all the time. It seems to start doing it after I've driven the Jeep awhile, as in when I leave work it doesn't do it but as I get closer to home it starts. The only thing I thought of is the plastic spinners that are on the end of the axles to keep dirt out of the tubes, although I highly doubt that's it.
Oh, I almost forgot, I have black magic rotors and pads on it in case anyone was thinking it is break noise.

I wouldn't worry about this. Just jeep driving it and see if it goes away. If it gets worse, the problem will become apparent, but more than likely it will go away.

In reference to the whistling, Drive it until that starts, find a safe place to pull over and do so. Get out and grab your hubs or brakes and see if they are hot, or if one is hotter than the other. You can feel the ujoints and rear ends as well for heat. Be sure and set your parking brake, and be careful not to get burned.

A good laser infrared thermometer is $50.

I'm thinking wheel bearing is dry or failing and on it's way out. You could also jack up the jeep and shake the tires to see if you have a bad wheel bearing or any slack.

Does it happen at those speeds while coasting to a stop and then when you go again?

It would probably take several tries to find out but it would definitely rule out the brakes which is exactly what I was thinking even while starting to move again.

Thanks for all the replies guys. To answer the questions...

Will take pics tonight from my garage and post them, yes it is noticeable in the garage as well. I did not put the lift on so off hand I do not know if the spacers are there. I assume this spacer is on the small side since I have noticed it yet, will check tonight.

I don't think the singing is exhaust related based on where it is coming from and the nature of how it is occurring. (BTW, I live in Apex NC as well)
All U joints in the axles have been replaced within last 10k miles.
Rear drive shaft universal replaced as well.
Front drive shaft replace with Adams driveshaft.
I should be able to get the whistle as I am coming down my street so I can pull it right in the garage and check for heat and shake the wheels. Will report results.
It does not happen while coasting or at least I'm not certain because I am on the brakes, I will try to coast today. While stopping the whistle slows and quiets down. Upon starting back up it starts again and if I maintain lower, speeds 30mph or less, it can last awhile. Once I start moving at higher speeds it goes away.
I have NEVER heard brakes sing, not that it couldn't be them. I am coming from a 2005 Highlander which had a great brake pedal, not too firm not too soft. I see the TJ has a very firm pedal that takes more effort to apply. I plan on flushing the brake lines eventually.

OK here's an update...

- Took pic (see below) of Jeep in garage on flat surface. Now it doesn't seem so bad but if you look in the pic you will see the tailgate door shows the slope of the Jeep. Some days it seems more pronounced than others. In this pic it almost unnoticeable.

- There are no spacers on top of front coil springs (see pics), only the rubber mounts. This was the DPG Super Ultiamate TJ/LJ Wrangler Hybrid Kit bought from DPG Off-Road and it did not come with spacers. @Chris Why did you ask this question? Should I have spacers? I was thinking of putting a 1" spacer on top of the spring to remove the rake that my bumper and winch will cause. Would that cause any problems with the transfer case/drive shafts?

- Regarding the singing, it is not a constant pitch, it varies. Yesterday I put the tranny in neutral and shut the Jeep off and coasted with and without braking and the whistle was still there. I then checked all four rims and they were only warm to the touch. I touched both front calipers and dust shields and they were warm and I could keep my hand on them without problem. Obviously the rotors were too warm too keep my finger on them. No excessive heat anywhere.

- I jacked up the Jeep and shook all four wheels and there was no play. The back had minuscule amount but I believe that is normal in solid rear axles since my wife's '18 has it as does my daughter's '99 Cherokee.

So I've eliminated all of the above. Again, this only happens after the Jeep is warmed up and driven a little.

upload_2018-10-17_9-43-13.jpeg

upload_2018-10-17_9-43-34.jpeg

upload_2018-10-17_9-43-45.jpeg

- Took pic (see below) of Jeep in garage on flat surface. Now it doesn't seem so bad but if you look in the pic you will see the tailgate door shows the slope of the Jeep. Some days it seems more pronounced than others. In this pic it almost unnoticeable.

Honestly, I think you just need to let it settle in. When I first installed my new lift, mine did this to, but after a week or so, it went away. Things just have to settle in.

- There are no spacers on top of front coil springs (see pics), only the rubber mounts. This was the DPG Super Ultiamate TJ/LJ Wrangler Hybrid Kit bought from DPG Off-Road and it did not come with spacers. @Chris Why did you ask this question? Should I have spacers? I was thinking of putting a 1" spacer on top of the spring to remove the rake that my bumper and winch will cause. Would that cause any problems with the transfer case/drive shafts?

The OME kit should include 4 yellow spacers (10 mm each) to add to the top of the springs. This is where the extra 1/2" of lift comes from. Some people don't install them, but most do, as you get 2.5" of lift instead of 2".

- Regarding the singing, it is not a constant pitch, it varies. Yesterday I put the tranny in neutral and shut the Jeep off and coasted with and without braking and the whistle was still there. I then checked all four rims and they were only warm to the touch. I touched both front calipers and dust shields and they were warm and I could keep my hand on them without problem. Obviously the rotors were too warm too keep my finger on them. No excessive heat anywhere.

Hmmm, could be a unit bearing going out, or a bad u-joint. I'd grease all your zerk fittings as a starting point and see if that makes any difference.

- I jacked up the Jeep and shook all four wheels and there was no play. The back had minuscule amount but I believe that is normal in solid rear axles since my wife's '18 has it as does my daughter's '99 Cherokee.

Yes, this is normal. If something was wrong, there would be excessive amounts of play.

Honestly, I think you just need to let it settle in. When I first installed my new lift, mine did this to, but after a week or so, it went away. Things just have to settle in.

Lift has been on since last May. Taking this off of my list of things to address

The OME kit should include 4 yellow spacers (10 mm each) to add to the top of the springs. This is where the extra 1/2" of lift comes from. Some people don't install them, but most do, as you get 2.5" of lift instead of 2".

Dang it! I will call DPG and see if those were even sent since I do not see them on the order sheet. DPG puts together packages. This came w/ OME and then all JKS adjustable controls arms and track bars. I would like more lift, with more lift do I need to start worrying about the whole TC, SYE, DC issue?

Hmmm, could be a unit bearing going out, or a bad u-joint. I'd grease all your zerk fittings as a starting point and see if that makes any difference.

Will do. FYI... U-joints in axle shafts replaced within last 10k as well as rear drive shaft universal replaced. Plus new front driveshaft. As you stated before if that doesn't do anything I need to just ride it out and see where it goes. It sure is annoying though as it is somewhat loud at times.

"Yes, this is normal. If something was wrong, there would be excessive amounts of play."
My daughters Jeep has excessive play, what could cause that?

Okay, if it's been on since last May (which I clearly missed), I guess it is definitely settled in. I'm not sure what that slight tilt could be other than springs, since that's where the weight of the vehicle rests... on the springs.

Perhaps he doesn't include those yellow 10mm spacers since he pieces the lifts together the way he wants. I bought the complete OME kit from OME themselves, and when you do it that way, it comes with the 10mm spacers.

With 1/2" of lift should shouldn't need to worry, but with anymore than that, you'll need to worry about the SYE / DC issue, yes (unless you have an LJ, then you can get away with more).

If it's a high pitched whine, that seems to suggest it's metal-on-metal contact. If that is the case, you should also look for any visual signs of metal rubbing on metal underneath.

Excessive play in the wheels up and down? That could be either bad unit bearings (wheel bearings) or bad ball joints as well.

Get all four wheels off the ground on jack stands, and have an operator start the jeep, then carefully cycle the drivetrain thru a couple gears. Walk around the jeep while the drivetrain is turning, see if you can audibly isolate where the noise is coming from.
Be very careful, use a hard level surface to support the 4 jack stands, make sure you maintain a constant line of communication with your operator.

Thanks guys, all good info and I will do more research. @Chris I do have an LJ so could I safely get away with 1" up front to remove rake and either nothing or 1/2" in rear?

Thanks guys, all good info and I will do more research. @Chris I do have an LJ so could I safely get away with 1" up front to remove rake and either nothing or 1/2" in rear?

LJs can usually get away with about 4" of suspension lift before you need to worry about a SYE / DC driveshaft. It varies from vehicle to vehicle, but that's usually the general consensus.

Reactions: mgroeger
LJs can usually get away with about 4" of suspension lift before you need to worry about a SYE / DC driveshaft. It varies from vehicle to vehicle, but that's usually the general consensus.

That is great to know since I now sit with 2" of suspension but wouldn't really want to ever go above 3"

I know I know... I say that now... lol.

Reactions: Chris
As far as the singing, my vote is for the front driveshaft centering ball needing a rebuild, or commonly known as mentioned above - 'angry sparrows'. Been there, done that.

As far as the singing, my vote is for the front driveshaft centering ball needing a rebuild, or commonly known as mentioned above - 'angry sparrows'. Been there, done that.

Wonderful, that driveshaft has less than 10k miles on it. I would hope this isn't what is going.