My Jeep started making a terrible whistling noise

Mitch8801

Hey guys
So I just got back from a month long trip and drove my tj for around 30 minutes, started it back up and it made a terrible whistling/whining echo noise at idle. It would go away every time I gave it some throttle.

ive heard about the OPDA issues in the 04-06, but I have a 02 so I’m a bit confused, thinking either a bearing or vacuum seal leak.

Any ideas?
Here’s a link what it sounds like

Not saying this is your problem but my 03 started making a whistling sound and it turned out to be a cracked intake. Cracked at one of the bolts.

that sounds exactly like my failing alternator.

noise sounds belt driven to me

if you take the serpentine belt off and start the motor briefly (just checking to see if noise stops only) does the noise stop? this would assist you in diagnosing what components to start looking at if it does.

I have the same thing with my 03. Drives me absolutely insane and could not figure out why. Still does it so I need the help too!!!

X2 on the alternator. Removing the belt will tell you. Also, you can disconnect the + lead from the back of the alternator (leave the belt on) and see how it sounds without a load. That’s how I found out mine was bad. Just watch that loose + lead!