My jeep will not move after clutch replacement: Anyone in Louisiana?

Norman Andrew

I own a 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport. I changed the clutch kit, slave and master cylinder, as well as the crankshaft position sensor. I drained the transmission and transfer case. They both have new fluids. I found out somehow I was missing my shifter bushing and replaced that as well. All back together and I start it up and put it gear and she won't move. She shifts nicely into all gears with ease but will not move. She revs high rpms when I step on the gas but that's it. Can anyone help?

So you're saying that when you start the Jeep up, put it in gear, and then release the clutch, the clutch doesn't grab and the Jeep doesn't lurch forward?

If so, you need to retrace every single step you made when doing all this work to it. You could have installed the clutch wrong, not bled the slave cylinder properly, etc.

So you're saying that when you start the Jeep up, put it in gear, and then release the clutch, the clutch doesn't grab and the Jeep doesn't lurch forward?

If so, you need to retrace every single step you made when doing all this work to it. You could have installed the clutch wrong, not bled the slave cylinder properly, etc.

I double checked everything. I don't understand. I would take it to a shop and let them figure it out but I am an unemployed veteran so that's not gonna happen.

In order to shift from gear to gear, even when just idling, the clutch has to be able to engage and disengage. So that seems to suggest that the clutch pedal is engaging and disengaging the clutch. But the question is, why isn't it grabbing the flywheel when you release the clutch and apply gas?

I can sit here and guess all day long. If the clutch pedal has pressure and you're positive that the clutch is moving in and out with the pedal pressure, then it seems that maybe the issue is an improperly installed clutch?

In order to shift from gear to gear, even when just idling, the clutch has to be able to engage and disengage. So that seems to suggest that the clutch pedal is engaging and disengaging the clutch. But the question is, why isn't it grabbing the flywheel when you release the clutch and apply gas?

I can sit here and guess all day long. If the clutch pedal has pressure and you're positive that the clutch is moving in and out with the pedal pressure, then it seems that maybe the issue is an improperly installed clutch?

I can look one more time. But the last time I looked at it the clutch springs were facing the pressure plate not the flywheel. It wouldn't allow me to seat the bell housing on properly if I did infact put it on backwards.

I've never actually done the clutch on a TJ, so I'm not familiar with the procedure (mine is an auto).

But when you press the clutch in at idle, there is pressure in the pedal and you can feel the clutch engaging and disengaging, right?

I've never actually done the clutch on a TJ, so I'm not familiar with the procedure (mine is an auto).

But when you press the clutch in at idle, there is pressure in the pedal and you can feel the clutch engaging and disengaging, right?

Yes. Everything feels correct. Shifts perfect. But once I see saw the pedals in either first or reverse nothing happens. I tried taking off in second and still nothing.

That's so incredibly bizarre. So it's like the clutch is engaging and disengaging, but it's not actually making contact with the flywheel enough to grab it.

Too bad I'm not in Louisiana, I'd be happy to take a look. While I haven't done a clutch on a TJ, I have done enough clutches in my life to know how they work.

I'd tell you to make sure your e-brake isn't on, but it sounds like it's not even attempting to move, so that's pretty obvious.

Too bad I'm not in Louisiana, I'd be happy to take a look. While I haven't done a clutch on a TJ, I have done enough clutches in my life to know how they work.

I'd tell you to make sure your e-brake isn't on, but it sounds like it's not even attempting to move, so that's pretty obvious.

Thanks. Yeah E-brake is not on. I'm stumped. I can't afford to send it to a shop and the only option I'm having if I can't fix this issue is to sell it. Believe me I don't. I have wanted this jeep since I was 5 and the first time I watched the Dikes of Hazzard. I don't know what else to do.

Shot in the dark here...
Is the clutch disc installed backwards? The center of the clutch disc sticks out further on one side than on the other. It could be keeping the pressure plate and the fly wheel from clamping down on the clutch disc.

(Don't ask how I know this.)

Reactions: JP98
@Chris any other forum members down in New Orleans that could give it a look?

@Donald Bealer, @Girlmedic7, @Paul Guichet, @Norman Andrew, @Alfred, @Brian Gagliano, and @ZeroTolerance are all from around that area.

Shot in the dark here...
Is the clutch disc installed backwards? The center of the clutch disc sticks out further on one side than on the other. It could be keeping the pressure plate and the fly wheel from clamping down on the clutch disc.

This is something that had crossed my mind as well.

Shot in the dark here...

(Don't ask how I know this.)

I know what you mean but I made sure the springs are sticking out facing the pressure plate.

Reactions: StG58
I just replaced mine, 05 so may be a bit different. It sounds like you are having no disc contact with the flywheel. The disc is labeled "flywheel side" generally. My guess would be a reversed clutch disc or the disc is bound on the input shaft and not sliding into place. Sorry man, time to tear it back down and check everything out.

Reactions: CodaMan and StG58
If you can feel the clutch fork slide the TOB into the pressure plate when depressing the pedal, I don't see how it's not a disc problem. Most likely installed backwards.

Reactions: StG58