My jeep will not move after clutch replacement: Anyone in Louisiana?

Highly unlikely the clutch disc is bad. Maybe the wrong one and not thick enough. Definitely sounds like the pressure plate (pp) face is not putting enough pressure on the disc to have it sit against the flywheel. Maybe stuck on the shaft, bad springs, or wrong PP (not the right thickness).

Also, have you checked the tcase engagement? On another thread I was reading about this, they said the Luk kit said not to bust the strap on the the slave cylinder. Maybe not enough pressure to break the strap? Any of this sound familiar?
I'm sorry I know what strap you are talking about now. No I didn't break it

It's always a good idea to slide the clutch disc onto the input shaft and check for easy movement. A very light coating of grease on the input as well. My Luk kit came with grease but any high temp grease will work.

Reactions: Norman Andrew
What do you mean what did I do with the pilot bearing?

did you replace it? mess with it at all? Just spit balling and throwing out ideas. Just because the shifter is all the way down does not mean the tcase it engaged properly. Try to manually shifting it.

Reactions: JP98
You've verified the T-case is actually in gear, right. The lever can be all the way down, but if the adjustment isn't right, you might still be in neutral. I've done the Clutch in my wrangler, Its not a fun job. I would make double dog sure that T-case is indeed in gear.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgMY2laIrK0lbUhG0YkMWnWwAXAUehs6MpJ9dvvQ7WlP5axe7Q.jpg

Reactions: Rob5589 and JP98
How am I able to make 100% sure?
You'll have to craw under there with a prybar, and try moving the lever on the t-case. I'm not sure which way anymore...I can post a couple pages from the service manual later tonight though.

If it grinds a little when you hold it down, that is a clue that the T-case isn't in the right position.

Reactions: Rob5589
Ok thanks
upload_2017-9-13_22-7-57.png

Try this procedure. straight from the manual. I'd look to see where the lever is on the T-case now (in 2wd) then shift to 4Low as the manual recommends. That will tell you which direction the lever moves on the tcase. Loosen the trunnion bolt, use a pry bar to ensure the lever is fully engaged, then tighten the bolt. That should get everything back in alignment, if it was off.

It doesn't move in any position. It grinds a little when I put it all the way down but only for a short time.
Pretty sure your t case isn't gear now. The grinding indicates that your clutch is indeed hooking up..the linkage setup really does suck. I had no idea I bumped mine into neutral moving it around. I also had forgotten completely to hook up the linkage as well though. So inside the jeep, it did indeed look like it was in 2 hi. Nope!

Reactions: Chris
Ok, this is what happened to me, granted it was on a Ford 8000 tractor but may apply here. I bought a metallic clutch disk and rebuilt pressure plate from a northwest rebuilder with a good reputation. Took the tractor to the dealer to split the tractor and install the clutch. They did not like metallic discs. Called me up a couple of days later, said the clutch was no good and the tractor would not move. I went in to see what the problem was. When I got there the shop foreman said they had fixed it and did not want to talk about it.
That rebuild pressure plate came from the rebuilder with the springs compressed, held that way with small blocks of wood. The tractor mechanic had not removed them after he installed it.
So to the point, was the pressure plate compressed and held that way when it was installed? If so that would cause the problem you are having. Best of luck, it is usually something small, finding it can take time.

B

Ok, this is what happened to me, granted it was on a Ford 8000 tractor but may apply here. I bought a metallic clutch disk and rebuilt pressure plate from a northwest rebuilder with a good reputation. Took the tractor to the dealer to split the tractor and install the clutch. They did not like metallic discs. Called me up a couple of days later, said the clutch was no good and the tractor would not move. I went in to see what the problem was. When I got there the shop foreman said they had fixed it and did not want to talk about it.
That rebuild pressure plate came from the rebuilder with the springs compressed, held that way with small blocks of wood. The tractor mechanic had not removed them after he installed it.
So to the point, was the pressure plate compressed and held that way when it was installed? If so that would cause the problem you are having. Best of luck, it is usually something small, finding it can take time.

B
Ugh...that would suck. But in this case, the LUK kit doesn't come with springs compressed. You just slide the clutch in, bolt the pressure plate on, and you're ready for the transmission to go back in.

Reactions: Chris