My last hurrah for my favorite wheeling area...Calico Ghost Town Canyons in SoCal

Not so sure on the winching on the blue JL, is that line attached to the Tie Rod :oops: and not something a little more substantial
That's a brand new Hemi JL in-process build so he (a very well known old school Jeeper) hadn't had a chance to get his bumper and tow hooks installed by our weekend. That snatch rope was around the axle tube next to the pumpkin. Made me nervous too but he just needed a short tug. He has spotted me on a lot of trails over the years. I think that's only the second time I have seen him need a tug.

Jerry by the time you get moved hopefully we will have contacts with folks who know Coppinger cove and we can get @AndyG @Hog and get you up this way with others for a weekend of wheeling.

Reactions: Artsifrtsi
Looks like it was a ton of fun! Now that you’re moving to the southeast, I hope we can meet sometime and hopefully go wheeling (if I get my jeep sorted enough for the tough stuff)

Reactions: John Cooper
Just got back from 4 days in the canyons surrounding Calico Ghost Town, just outside Barstow California. Such a beautiful and fun place to wheel! We also broke something like 5 out of 15 Jeeps to one degree or another, mostly minor, during the day. Usually it's zero breakages but....

Anyway, the beauty of this place just blows me away. And yeah, in some spots it's downright challenging.

View attachment 284622View attachment 284623View attachment 284624View attachment 284625View attachment 284626View attachment 284627View attachment 284628View attachment 284629View attachment 284630View attachment 284631View attachment 284632View attachment 284633View attachment 284634View attachment 284635View attachment 284636View attachment 284637View attachment 284638View attachment 284639View attachment 284640View attachment 284641View attachment 284642View attachment 284643

View attachment 284648View attachment 285851
Awesome photos! Im curious what did you use the mount your rear shocks like that.

Oh they might be Nth Degree but they're nothing special. I bought this TJ used and it had some damage causing it to have a Salvage title so they might have been replaced by the previous owner.

Reactions: Reckless_Tj
Shorts...T shirts.... and no tops even....:cry: I remember them days in sunny So Cal. Incredible rocks and scenery there no doubt. Never got to do Surprise canyon on wheels but did hike up it. Also a cool place!!

• Love
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Shorts...T shirts.... and no tops even....:cry: I remember them days in sunny So Cal. Incredible rocks and scenery there no doubt. Never got to do Surprise canyon on wheels but did hike up it. Also a cool place!!
Surprise Canyon in Death Valley was amazing, we were wheeling up its creek and trying to get up & over wet rocks. We didn't make it all the way to the waterfall as it was getting too late to continue.

This is my previous TJ there in 2000.

12SC6.JPG
12SC15.JPG
12SC16.JPG
14JERRT1.JPG

Jerry by the time you get moved hopefully we will have contacts with folks who know Coppinger cove and we can get @AndyG @Hog and get you up this way with others for a weekend of wheeling.
I'd be down for that too, but I may drive the JT... depending on getting busy on the TJ...

• Love
Reactions: CharlesHS
Geez that Gatekeeper in a couple of your photos is a tough mother isn't it lol.
YES.... IT IS....
I have witnessed some serious carnage there....
My friend Mike in the picture drove his '88 Woody Wagoneer thru there and made it look easy....
I tried GK, but the manual transmission made it quite the challenge.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
The Gatekeeper is the toughest challenge I'm aware of, I'm not even aware what compares in JV. I used to do it when it was only really hard. Not stupid tough like it is now after rains shifted rocks and more rolled down into it from above.

Gerald Lee, owner of Savvy, has broken every time he tried it, even in KOH-level buggies. King of the Hammers competitors Sean and Brian from Poor Boy Racing absolutely destroyed their front axle on it one night I was there. It required two winches to get them out.

It has become a STUPID tough section of the Doran Canyon trail now. Thank God there's bypass for us mere mortals lol.

The Gatekeeper is the toughest challenge I'm aware of, I'm not even aware what compares in JV. I used to do it when it was only really hard. Not stupid tough like it is now after rains shifted rocks and more rolled down into it from above.

Gerald Lee, owner of Savvy, has broken every time he tried it, even in KOH-level buggies. King of the Hammers competitors Sean and Brian from Poor Boy Racing absolutely destroyed their front axle on it one night I was there. It required two winches to get them out.

It has become a STUPID tough section of the Doran Canyon trail now. Thank God there's bypass for us mere mortals lol.
Thanks for the history.
I agree....