My Local Fastenal

TJ4Jim

TJ Expert
Lifetime Supporting Member
Out for a hardware run this morning to local Fastenal only to discover they are no longer open to the public, anyone else see this happening.

• Wow
Reactions: Chris
Out for a hardware run this morning to local Fastenal only to discover they are no longer open to the public, anyone else see this happening.

Yep, the one in our town did that about a year ago already.

Used to work at one… saw this coming for a while. It wasn’t getting them really any sales keeping the store open, only business to business really made sense (which they were more geared for anyway). Last I checked online they were open for a few hours morning and afternoon, otherwise they just deliver to businesses.

So, do they no longer have the great shipping-rate deal that they used to offer to Joe Public? I utilized it to ship a Dana 44 to Texas, once. Is that gone, as well?

Huh, I've been to a few throughout the country during the lockdowns and such but thought it was 'rona protocol. The weird part was pick-up hours only between 8AM and 11AM.

Yes, they did that in response to COVID-19 around here and just kept that policy in place (probably realized they save money on wages). However, you can call them for help or you can create an account and order online, and even pick up in the store, so the only thing that's really changed is you can't just walk in, hand a bolt to someone, and say, "I need two of these."

About a year ago, I needed a very odd bolt to put my Subaru engine on an engine stand, and I couldn't find it anywhere. I called them and they found something for me, ordered it, and when it came in, they scheduled a pick up time with me.

Yup. Same here. I think they kind of suck anyway. I have really good old time hardware store local to me that usually has the hard to locate bolts I need.

So, do they no longer have the great shipping-rate deal that they used to offer to Joe Public? I utilized it to ship a Dana 44 to Texas, once. Is that gone, as well?

They still offer it but there are some restrictions now, https://www.fastenal.com/fast/blue-lane-freight

On a side note, the workers don’t mind this service at all cuz it’s easy income but hint, package whatever your’e shipping well, and also, make sure both the sending and receiving stores actually have a fork lift if it’s heavy. Mine didn’t for a good while.

Reactions: Squatch
They still offer it but there are some restrictions now, https://www.fastenal.com/fast/blue-lane-freight

On a side note, the workers don’t mind this service at all cuz it’s easy income but hint, package whatever your’e shipping well, and also, make sure both the sending and receiving stores actually have a fork lift if it’s heavy. Mine didn’t for a good while.

Good to know. Yeah, with the Dana 44, I actually built a pallet (more appropriately sized), and used a professional metal strapping machine from work. That thing wasn't going anywhere, but Texas!

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
This just happened within the last 6 weeks here since my last visit there and what's odd is that it's open all day and staffed by the same crew. Spoke with the regular counter guy who told me it didn't make sense to him why he could not service walk-ins.