My lower front control arms are jacked, still drives good though

89grand

TJ Addict
They've been like this for a long time, and I've never really noticed any ill effects, but I just got two new ones today. I haven't installed them yet, but it will be interesting to see if it drives better with the new arms.

1020191551.jpg

1020191551a.jpg

They've been like this for a long time, and I've never really noticed any ill effects, but I just got two new ones today. I haven't installed them yet, but it will be interesting to see if it drives better with the new arms.

View attachment 120911

View attachment 120912
Mine look exactly the same. I have two new ones I haven’t installed yet as well.

No clunks when shifting or changing direction? Mine weren't that bad but the axle would shift like a 1/4" back to front when shifting.
New ones should make everything feel a lot tighter. Good luck. Let us know if you see a difference.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I do hear a noise when say backing out of the driveway while turning when I stop. Or sometimes turning into a parking space. The best way I can describe it is like the sound of say hitting the disk brake dusk cover with a metal object and it is one time and stops.

I've never heard it while driving, and it's been doing it for years, and I've never been able to figure what it was. Maybe it is the f'ed up arms.

Check back in when your bar for what drives good gets raised a few notches. :)

Check back in when your bar for what drives good gets raised a few notches. :)
Oh it's quite possible that after I swap the arms I'll say "Oh that's what those bad arms caused". As it is now, I can drive down the highway at 75 with one handle on the wheel. It doesn't wander, it doesn't make noises, it seems to drive fine to me, but I'm also used to it, but nothing has ever stood out as a problem other than how they look.

Well I swapped out the control arms yesterday. I don't notice any dramatic difference in how it drives, but it feels a little tighter in the front end, and that annoying metallic sound when backing out and turning out of the driveway is gone, so it was definitely the wasted arms making noise in certain situations. I've also have/had some sort of clicking sound from the front when the suspension was moving when off road. I haven't had a chance to see if that is gone now too. All in all, considering how cheap and easy this was, I probably should have done it a long time ago.

Reactions: ranger101