My mess of a Jeep: need vacuum diagram

psdavidson

98 tj 2.5 manual trans
Got this jeep in a trade and this is the 4th one I have owned but never had problems with the others. frame and body was great and looked like the engine had been recently rebuilt is the reason I trade for it.

Any way what a mess under the hood. looks like the smog stuff has been deleted and the AC stuff. when I first got it 3 weeks ago it had a high idle (1200rpm) figured I would clean the IAV when I got the chance. Now it has been getting worse with it idle at 2500 to 3000. didn't throw a code before now it is p1294. cleaned the IAV as per Jerry's instructions in all his post. it dropped down to 1200rpm for about 10miles and now back up. after moving the air cleaner I see the manifold has exhaust wrap on it. well I bet there's a crack in there, but thats going to have to wait right now. and poking around I see vac lines unplugged that I don't know where goes where. I would at least like to get the rpm's back down to 1200rpm. I know if the manifold is cracked it probably won't get back to normal until thats fixed. I just wan't it more drivable right now until I get my house and garage built. any one have a good vac diagram for the 2.5?
I have done some searching but I'm not sure what is right or wrong. I am posting one can anyone tell me if this is right. any other help would be appreciated

vac.jpg

Psdavidson your vacuum and emissions diagram is on the underside of the hood or it should be.
That diagram supersedes even the factory service manual diagram so double check every vacuum hose on the engine with the diagram.
Your high idle is caused by the missing vacuum hose you mentioned. Let's hope it's not a cracked manifold. It's a good idea to torque down all manifold bolts too.
that Underwood diagram is exactly how the hoses should be routed.

Last edited:
Psdavidson your vacuum and emissions diagram is on the underside of the hood or it should be.
That diagram supersedes even the factory service manual diagram so double check every vacuum hose on the engine with the diagram.
Your high idle is caused by the missing vacuum hose you mentioned. Let's hope it's not a cracked manifold. It's a good idea to torque down all manifold bolts too.
that Underwood diagram is exactly how the hoses should be routed.
There’s no diagram there, the reason I was asking. I was hoping the one I posted was correct. I’m going to use it in the morning. I wish I had my garage built already.

Got this fixed more or less. Got all lines routed. Tighten the intake bolts 1/4 turn each. Cleaned the IAC. And now the idle is down from 3k to about 900. I have a new iac. Since I have it should I go ahead and change it or not? Or is 900rpm good?