My new - old 2003 Jeep TJ X was delivered today

BobK

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The seller dropped off the TJ today and it looks like a project. Of course all the things I didn't see on the initial visit and test drive, I noticed today....LOL

The former owner also warned me a bout "a little bit of wobble of the steering wheel at 50 mph that seems to stop at 55 mph", which sounds to me like death wobble and the need for either new steering / suspension components or new bushings, etc. If anyone has a list of what those parts are I sure would appreciate it.

In the meantime a small buy annoying issue is that I can't get the center console open with and without the key. They key can turn the lock, but even when depressing the button, the lid won't open. Any secret to getting it opened, the lock cylinder even is able to be lifted out, but I can't see the catch to spring it open. This is the very first issue and I hope they are all this small....Ha ha

Thanks

Bob

Ps. My wife took one look at it in the driveway, rolled her eyes and said "get a drip pan under that piece of excrement". (only she did not say excrement, she used a different and more common word). Suffice to say the drip pan is in place.

Clean up starts tomorrow.

If the steering shakes at 50 and goes away at 55, its not death wobble. Once real death wobble starts, it doesn't go away until you stop the vehicle. What you have is a classic tire balance problem. Start there before you spend a bunch of money chasing down worn front end parts that may or may not actually be worn out.

I'll call these the "before" pictures. Before washing, vacuuming, removal of bumper end caps and fender flares.

The plan is look closely tomorrow where the oil drip is coming from. I have a new valve cover and gasket coming this week, so that project is only days away. I placed a large order for plugs, coil rail, plug boots, all hoses (radiator and heater) vacuum line, serpentine belt (by the way is the idler to give slack to the belt for removal?), thermostat, air and oil filters, PCV and hose. but those will take over a week to arrive, so until then I will be doing cosmetic things to get ready for the refurbishment stage. Tomorrow, I will be removing back seat and all carpeting (its disgusting)

Has anyone ever disassembled the back seat floor mechanism, sanded and painted?

IMG_0390.jpeg

IMG_0396.jpeg

IMG_0398.jpeg

IMG_0402.jpeg

All of us see these 'new' TJs through eyes of possibility...that one doesn't look all that bad, actually.

I am not the one looking up close, though, and seeing the cold, hard reality of what actually needs to be done. Still, good things await. :)

Reactions: DrDmoney
I can see through the dirt, grime, oil sludge, and current setup to my dream setup. It may take some time (and certainly money), but I'm looking forward to the challenges and learning.

My 13 year old granddaughter jumped in it tonight, turned on the radio and batter her blue eye at me and said "Pappy did you get this Jeep for me for when I turn 16?" I looked at my wife and said "Well if not this one, then the next one....LOL"

Reactions: JMT and DrDmoney
Does not look nearly as bad as you described in your first post, actually looks pretty darn good. Don't forget flush out tranny, brake, diffs and transfer case while you are under it. I am jealous of you dry state guys, I just started sanding some slight bubbling on my passenger front fender and when I was done the holes where at least a 1/4" deep!

I guess it is all relative. I did find a dozen or more hail dents in the hood. It was hard to spot them under the top layer of dirt. As I suggested in an earlier post, while the seller was a great and honest guy, he was a Jeep owner, not a Jeep lover.

Thankfully, this TJ is now in the possession of a Jeep lover and it will come back to it former glory in time....

Reactions: JMT
I guess it is all relative. I did find a dozen or more hail dents in the hood. It was hard to spot them under the top layer of dirt. As I suggested in an earlier post, while the seller was a great and honest guy, he was a Jeep owner, not a Jeep lover.

Thankfully, this TJ is now in the possession of a Jeep lover and it will come back to it former glory in time....
The X I had previously had some dings and scrapes. In all honesty, I liked it better that way - another ding or scrape didn't matter. Now that I have this pristine looking Rubicon, little things like that irritate me, where they didn't used to...I'd suggest getting it up and running/driving like it should, and worry about looks last, if at all. Within reason, of course.

The guy I sold my X to is perfectly happy with it as is.

Reactions: AndyG
I do not plan on de-denting (LOL) or re-painting. This project Jeep will get its mechanicals refurbished, as best I can, without overhauling the engine or transmission (hopefully). It will get a new interior ( carpets and seat skins as last items to be done) and it will likely get new fender flares, tires, lifted, and a new exhaust. At that point, I think it will look like a different Jeep!

The thing I'm scratching my head over is how far to take the refurbishment of the suspension, bushings, etc. I guess I won't know until I get under it and starting pushing and pulling things. I saw a complete bushing kit today for $500 and nearly fell over, not only with the price, but with the number of bushing provided to be swapped out.........

Last edited:
A resurrection story on resurrection Sunday! How fitting. No DW if it stops at 55. Tire balance issue. Maybe check the axle side trackbar and tie rod ends just to make sure there’s no play. But tire balance for sure. Our TJ’s need a perfect balance, not just good enough. Hope the leak is the pcv valve too. Looking good. Enjoy the Jeep life!

P.s. your wife will be eating her words ;)

Reactions: Twopoint and AndyG
when Death wobble knocks.....never answer.