My other car is a 65 Ford Falcon Futura

Metalmoto

I love my Jeep. But now I have this car, that has been in my family for 44 years. I was 13 when my father bought it.
It was driven daily for 6 years, and garaged for 38 years. Totally original, and little rust in the trunk floor.
Not something in great demand these days. But essentially a Ford Mustang, with a different body. 2 door hard-top BTW.
Remembering back, we never wore seat-belts back then. Then it only came with front lap belts anyway.
Painted steel dashboard, non collapsing steering column, no reverse lights. one speed windshield wipers.
Am radio still works, all electrics still work. Fruit bowl single reservoir brake master cylinder. All drum brakes...
170 straight 6 engine. 3 speed auto with power steering. A money pit for sure...

The memories of the past, when life was fun and seemingly endless. Oh, what a treasure to finally own it today...
I had hoped to get it running, for my 85 year old father to see. But it just needs so much work, I'm afraid he'll be gone, before I get that far.

He said, it was running when it was parked 38 years ago. I guess he assumes, just put some new gas in her, and she'll start right up?
Yeah, he taught me a lot about fixing cars. He rebuilt the engine himself many moons ago!
I regret that he wont be alive to see it running again. After sitting 38 years, everything with rubber, has to be replaced.
Just try and find another carburetor for it. The original is seized, and rebuilding it is not an option at this point...
Believe me, I have spent many months, trying to get it unstuck.

I'm just posting this to see if anyone else has their stories/ memories to share...

I love my Jeep. But now I have this car, that has been in my family for 44 years. I was 13 when my father bought it.
It was driven daily for 6 years, and garaged for 38 years. Totally original, and little rust in the trunk floor.
Not something in great demand these days. But essentially a Ford Mustang, with a different body. 2 door hard-top BTW.
Remembering back, we never wore seat-belts back then. Then it only came with front lap belts anyway.
Painted steel dashboard, non collapsing steering column, no reverse lights. one speed windshield wipers.
Am radio still works, all electrics still work. Fruit bowl single reservoir brake master cylinder. All drum brakes...
170 straight 6 engine. 3 speed auto with power steering. A money pit for sure...

The memories of the past, when life was fun and seemingly endless. Oh, what a treasure to finally own it today...
I had hoped to get it running, for my 85 year old father to see. But it just needs so much work, I'm afraid he'll be gone, before I get that far.

He said, it was running when it was parked 38 years ago. I guess he assumes, just put some new gas in her, and she'll start right up?
Yeah, he taught me a lot about fixing cars. He rebuilt the engine himself many moons ago!
I regret that he wont be alive to see it running again. After sitting 38 years, everything with rubber, has to be replaced.
Just try and find another carburetor for it. The original is seized, and rebuilding it is not an option at this point...

I'm just posting this to see if anyone else has their stories/ memories to share...
My buddy in High School had a 1964 Comet convertible with a 260 V8. We had so much fun in that car! :D

In that car (as in inside) or with that car (as in driving)?
Just curious :cool:
Both. I cruised passenger mostly, but did get to drive it occasionally. It was a fun car to drive and moved out surprisingly well with the little V8! :)

The carburetor can be unstuck, but ya gotta be very careful.
Once you take it off, heat the bosses where the throttle shaft goes thru, try propane to start as you have to be very careful with aluminum. Oh yeah, and make sure there's no gas in it lol.
Aluminum doesn't turn red like steel, it just melts when it gets to its melting temperature, so be very careful.
If you were just going to toss it anyway, give it a shot, it will work.

edited to add: work the throttle linkage back and forth while you are heating, not too hard, don't bend anything.
Another pair of hands can be helpful.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, and I currently have, almost completely restored, a 1973 Barracuda that I went to a concert in when I was 16ish. The concert was 38 Special. That was over 35 years ago. I didn't own it then, one of my good friends did. We were running late and he was a mad man (still is) so we were heading down the highway at over 100mph. We got off the highway and a brake line blew. Brought it to a friends house, fixed the brake line, and still saw the end of the opening act.

The car was 3 different colors back then with backyard built 440. Today she is hemi orange with a balanced and blueprinted aluminum headed 440 in her.

Oh yeah, and I currently have, almost completely restored, a 1973 Barracuda that I went to a concert in when I was 16ish. The concert was 38 Special. That was over 35 years ago. I didn't own it then, one of my good friends did. We were running late and he was a mad man (still is) so we were heading down the highway at over 100mph. We got off the highway and a brake line blew. Brought it to a friends house, fixed the brake line, and still saw the end of the opening act.

The car was 3 different colors back then with backyard built 440. Today she is hemi orange with a balanced and blueprinted aluminum headed 440 in her.
Six-Pack?

Reactions: hardtailpan

'73 Barracuda, you say? Check out post #2,930 in the "Random photos: Got anything interesting, unique, strange?" thread in the Off Topic section. ;)

• Wow
Not yet, but I like the way you think!
Go for it! Used to work with a guy that was all about MOPAR, got edumacated.

Its interesting, this thread has got me thinking. I've never been one for fast cars, high performance, muscle cars, etc, etc. I've always been a low-end torque and heavy loads kind of guy, blah, blah, blah. Muscle cars and what I call "generic sedans" - such as the OPs - didn't interest me back in the day.

BUT

Unlike many, these cars have aged well - VERY well. Although I still wouldn't particularly want one, I certainly can admire them for what they are, and I'd certainly take one over the computerized crap being promulgated today!

Carry on!

38 special you say, saw them in September and had a blast.

05468A0F-10A3-49A5-81A2-8A13DED2B1AB.jpeg

Forgot to attach a picture. Here you go.

20170930_163256_1506807832766.jpg