My restoration project - 2005 Jeep TJ & my steering wheel vibration

Ok just order all 16 arm bushings (Upper and Lower) trying to solve my other problem of looseness and see what happens

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk
The bushings may be the problem, but go through this video first. It shows how to check all these things and a good order to check them in.

Then it goes on to part 2

Reactions: RoboG
The bushings may be the problem, but go through this video first. It shows how to check all these things and a good order to check them in.

Then it goes on to part 2

Thank you @JMT i will definitely check them out when I get home

no boundaries no borders - wrangler

Hello,

I alao got a 2005 TJ with same 2.5" RC lift, and 31" BFG MT

When I done the lift I ensured that my wheel balancing and wheel alignment is spoton, still I had a very bouncy and wobbly ride..

I notice that the bouncy ride was down to tyres inflated to much, so i air it down to 25/26 psi, sorted the bouncy ride. I still get a bit is a shaking of the steering around 50mph/80kph.. but if I accelerate a bit over or slow down a bit, it all goes away, I just got use to it..

Hope you get yours sorted, do let us know

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hello,

I alao got a 2005 TJ with same 2.5" RC lift, and 31" BFG MT

When I done the lift I ensured that my wheel balancing and wheel alignment is spoton, still I had a very bouncy and wobbly ride..

I notice that the bouncy ride was down to tyres inflated to much, so i air it down to 25/26 psi, sorted the bouncy ride. I still get a bit is a shaking of the steering around 50mph/80kph.. but if I accelerate a bit over or slow down a bit, it all goes away, I just got use to it..

Hope you get yours sorted, do let us know

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
That is my problem exactly @arnooel and I won't stop until I solve it .
I wish I could be like you and don't give a f** about it, that would be less stressful and less expensive but I'm on of this guys [emoji16] I HAVE TO KNOW [emoji23]
I will let you guys know if I find anything let's keep brainstorming, the more the better [emoji123][emoji869]

started assembly the cockpit
c6765f2d59970acbed6c22c3b2f0ec14.jpg

big difference with the two insulation layers, a totally different car. Next thing now is the carpets. Still wondering if I should clean the existing ones and use them or try create custom ones that will cover bigger areas of the jeep.

Hi all,
I 'm a new member of the forum and really happy to be here, cause I can brainstorm with all you guys about my or your Tj's. I live in greece so excuse me in advance for any english mystake I make on the way :)

I bought a wrangler TJ a year ago (used to have a YJ in my 20's), in a good condition in general, so I can disassembly and start building it back the way I like it, step by step.
So every weekend I make a cup of coffee, go to my garage and spend quality time with my car :), until my girlfriend breaks up with me for spending so much time with my car and not with her.

Right now the car is completed empty from the inside waiting for the sound deadening & thermal proofing materials I ordered. As I wait for the materials I decided to get involved with a issue I have while driving. When I reach 80 km/h (neither before nor after) my steering wheel is shaking. Not only that but when the road is bumpy, I feel that my car is not stiff, I feel that the bottom part of the car is loose.

The first thing I did is a bought a new suspension changing my old Rubicon Express with a new (Rough Country springs 2.5'' & Teraflex 9550 shocks). I had a better reaction on the road over all but still the same problems.

The second thing I did is to replace my steering stabilizer with a pro comp. Much better reaction with the shaking issue but still at 80 km/h there is a tremble and still the bottom part of the car is loose.
Any ideas what to do next?! I was thinking change all the control arm bushings as the next step? Do you guys agree?! Should I check anything else?

I will keep you updated with the resoration with pics

Thank you

Have you tried just changing the front wheels with the rear wheels to see if you have a wheel or tire issue. I experienced a similar problem after replacing winter tire/wheels by summer tire/wheels and doing a tire rotation at the same time. One of my front tire/wheel was the cause of the steering vibration.

Where did you get the thermal and sound insulation? I want to do this to mine as well.
Hi Chris, because I live in EU I order them from www.deadening.co.uk but i think any similar company will do. I recommend it for the TJ. No more heat from the transmission and the rest of the metal body. The noise is reduced in the cabin. Just keep in mind that after the installation you may need to reduce the size of your carpet in order to fit

Reactions: Chris
Have you tried just changing the front wheels with the rear wheels to see if you have a wheel or tire issue. I experienced a similar problem after replacing winter tire/wheels by summer tire/wheels and doing a tire rotation at the same time. One of my front tire/wheel was the cause of the steering vibration.
No Jean it's a good idea and I will try it immediately and let you know if it made any difference. Thank you

That is my problem exactly @arnooel and I won't stop until I solve it .
I wish I could be like you and don't give a f** about it, that would be less stressful and less expensive but I'm on of this guys [emoji16] I HAVE TO KNOW [emoji23]
I will let you guys know if I find anything let's keep brainstorming, the more the better [emoji123][emoji869]

$20 says your shimmy is due to tires. Like me you probably had them balanced. I did three times, only helped slightly once. These were 31’s. When I bought new and larger tires, 33’s, all shimmies in the steering went away.

Hi Chris, because I live in EU I order them from www.deadening.co.uk but i think any similar company will do. I recommend it for the TJ. No more heat from the transmission and the rest of the metal body. The noise is reduced in the cabin. Just keep in mind that after the installation you may need to reduce the size of your carpet in order to fit

Thanks! I'll have to find somewhere in the U.S. that has something similar, but I think this sounds like a good idea. I'd like to quiet things up!

After I changed all the arm bushings (16), there is no change in the steering wheel vibration problem but the suspension of the car is much better than before [emoji16]

Next stop is the track bar. While under the car this weekend and pushing steering parts around I think i felt a small gap.

$20 says your shimmy is due to tires. Like me you probably had them balanced. I did three times, only helped slightly once. These were 31’s. When I bought new and larger tires, 33’s, all shimmies in the steering went away.
JMT i checked the tires and the rims. I found out that my back right rim is a little crooked and the rest 3 tires are not evenly worn out. Ill keep that in mind and maybe is my next move after the track bar