My review of the Revolution ring & pinion

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
So, I just picked up my Rubicon this evening from a fellow named Dan with Dan's Gears. He's located in Sherwood, Oregon and has been doing nothing but gears and ring & pinions for the past 35+ years. If you're local to Portland I can't recommend this guy enough. I dropped my rig off on Sunday evening and he had it done the next day (Monday) at 5 PM!

Anyways, he was installing a set of 4.88 Revolution ring and pinions for me in the front and rear of my TJ Rubicon. The stock 4.10 gears were not cutting it with 33" tires and the ridiculous 0.69 overdrive that is infamous on the 42RLE transmissions.

Upon getting in the Jeep for the first time after picking it up this evening, the first thing I noticed is how much better the Jeep goes off the line. After several stop lights it was immediately noticeable that it had a lot of low end power. Climbing up through the gears to the highway speeds where I spent a good 15 minutes, I noticed that the transmission no longer seems to be hunting for overdrive (thank goodness!).

What a totally worthwhile upgrade! The power that I had seemingly lost from going to 33" tires is now all back! It feels just like stock again, but with bigger tires! I'd been so reluctant to re-gear the Jeep because I didn't think it would make much of a difference, but boy did it ever!

Dan did a damn good job of installing the gears. No whining, no weird noises, just smooth power to the ground. In addition to that the quality of these Revolution gears (which are some of the only gears still made in the USA) is amazing. I'm more than impressed to say the least, and they go well with my 4340 Revolution chromoly rear axles.

In conclusion I highly, highly recommend Revolution ring & pinions. If you read around, you'll find that these are widely regarded as being some of the best ring and pinions on the market.

Also, if you are in Portland, Oregon and need someone good to do your gears, be sure to call Dan with Dan's Gears. This guy knows his 4x4s inside and out, and he does nothing but gears!

Reactions: Kevin E
That's awesome on the big difference proper gearing makes. Did you supply the parts? I want to regear with Revolution gears and their Super 35 kit but would have to find a reputable shop to install them. I have also been told to not supply parts because they would not be warrantied on installation.

That's awesome on the big difference proper gearing makes. Did you supply the parts? I want to regear with Revolution gears and their Super 35 kit but would have to find a reputable shop to install them. I have also been told to not supply parts because they would not be warrantied on installation.

Kevin, I did indeed supply the parts. The guy who installed them said nothing about a warranty on his work. However, with as long as this guys been doing gears I wasn't really worried about it.

Sweet, there's almost nothing better than a properly geared TJ is there. Good decision to go with the Revolution Gear brand and 4.88!

I agree! It's a lot better to drive now.

Do you know why it is that they don't make the ring and pinions in the US like they do with the axle shafts?

Mac, the founder of Revolution Gear & Axle and formerly the VP of Superior Axle, said there are currently only two viable sources for good quality ring & pinion gear sets, India and Korea. He said of those two, Korea is producing the best quality by far so that's who is manufacturing his. All of the top quality gears being sold here are now coming from Korea.

He is able to manufacture his axle shaft kits here in the US because the same forging company he used for Superior Axle, Foote, is still alive and well in Los Angeles. So all of his shafts are made in the US, and all of his R&Ps come from Korea.

There's an interesting thread on all this at http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/remember-superior-axle-2410281/

Last edited:
Reactions: Wade and Chris
That's good to know!

I'm glad they are made in Korea and not China. As far as Asian manufacturing goes I know that Korea is quite a step above China.

So far I am loving my Revolution axles and ring and pinion. Had a chance to drive 200 miles through the snowy mountains today and the 4.88 is absolutely perfect on the highway. Very, very glad I went with that ratio.

Okay, sweet jesus! I've been driving with these things for around 500 miles now and I have to say that I really didn't notice much of a difference going from 4.10 to 4.88 at first. However, after 500 miles I can tell you guys that it's totally transformed the way my Jeep drives both off the line and at highway speeds. It's soooooo much more peppy now off the line, and on the highway it's not constantly hunting for the overdrive like it was before.

Sure, it still shifts into overdrive a bit prematurely on occasion, but not nearly as often as before. My passing power is up on the highway, going up hills is much better, and driving around town is an absolute treat even with 33" tires and tons of extra weight from all the gear I carry.

Not a single noise from the gears at all and it's smooth as butter. I'm sure the same could be said for other brands of gears, but I like knowing I am supporting a good company (Revolution) and I like knowing that I'm running the best of the best under my TJ.

For anyone in need of gears I absolutely insist that you go with Revolution! You will NOT regret it.

I purchased Yukon R&P/Master Install kits for my re-gear when I was going to set up the stock Dana 30 and Dana 44 on my Sport. However, after a lot of research and then a lot of shopping around on CraigsList I bought a Dana 30 HP, which is a very nice upgrade to the stock Dana 30. However, it uses reverse cut gears.

When I got the Yukons they were one of the best available at that time. However, since my switch to the Dana 30 HP and having to buy gears again I went with Revolution. Both are made in South Korea, and both are very good, but each company has their own tooth profile made for them by their Korean partners. Both are top quality and easy to set up (or so I have been told). I decided that my Dana 44 alloy shafts would eventually come from Revolution, so why not get to know them a bit right now and get the HP gears from them?

Glad I did. Can't wait to start the re-gear process. I have been reading and watching videos for so long I am about to explode. I want to start, but cannot just yet. Soon though. In a week or so, with any luck. ;)
IMG_4172.JPG

I have the 4.0L with a five speed, so the ratio I need to put me in the same pocket you are in with 33s is the 4.56, and I am totally stoked to get them in!

Reactions: Kevin E and Chris
This is really cool information. A regear is in my future, and this reinforces what I've been hearing elsewhere. Revolution it is!

Chris, it's good to hear about Dan's. He's within driving distance from me. I'll have to talk to him about my program.

First and foremost, I'm pretty sure it's unanimously agreed upon that RGA (Revolution Gear & Axle) makes the best gears / axles for the Wranglers these days. Their axle shafts are the only ones left (far as I know) that are still made in the USA.

Their ring and pinions are made in South Korea, but they are as good as you'll ever get for ring and pinions. I've put at least 1000 miles on my so far and they are fantastic.

@StG58, Dan is an awesome, awesome guy. You won't regret using him. I was shocked at how fast he turned this around, honestly less than 24 hours.

Expensive?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

$300 per axle, so $600 total. More than fair considering what most shops will charge you.

He has his own shop on his property with a lift. Wait until you see this guys shop... You'll never see so many ring and pinions (and axles) in your entire life. It's like a junk yard of nothing but ring and pinions!

Really nice guy though. Probably about 60-65 I would say, and been doing this his entire life.

Sounds exactly like the guy a friend at work told me about. Bet it's the same guy. Excellent reputation.

Sounds exactly like the guy a friend at work told me about. Bet it's the same guy. Excellent reputation.

It could very well be, he's out in Sherwood way out in the middle of nowhere. Nice guy, though and that type of guy who you just know you can trust from the moment you meet him.

That's probably the guy then. Same description Willy gave me, and Willy has a shop to die for himself. Does restoration work on the side and wheels the heck out of a restored CJ2A.

Reactions: Chris
Yeah, check him out when you decide to re-gear. You'll be really happy you did.