My RMS Replacement Update

CodaMan

California Escapee
Supporting Member
My Jeep dripped 4 or 5 drops of oil from the bottom of the bell housing each night and my OCD just won't allow for that. I ordered the RMS, pan gasket and the proper silicone to perform the job. I also ordered a valve cover gasket since they're less intrusive and easier to replace and because I believe 50% of all "RMS" leaks are actually valve cover gasket leaks. The valve cover gasket replacement took about 90 minutes and I ran in to no problems.

It's been 10 days I it's not dripped one drop of oil. Valve cover leak fix complete.

Glad to hear that solved it.

Wouldn't it be great though if the RMS was a one piece design? Sure seems that would be better in terms of longer lasting with less chance of leaking.

Reactions: CodaMan
Well, easier than a RMS replacement. I battled with that pesky wiring harness bridge on mine for a while. Then, I lost a torque washer and had to buy one from Daveys.

You got lucky! I replaced my VC gasket last weekend because it was actively leaking down the back of the head. I get one small drip a night (less than dime size) from the RMS still. I'm debating holding off after reading the horror stories of battling the 2 piece seal and making it worse. My other concern is I am in the rusty Northeast so my exhaust is not going to come off easily to drop the pan. It's my 2nd vehicle and its garaged so I just keep a tray under it for now. I absolutely hate leaks, but I don't want to risk making it worse since its such a small drip.

You got lucky! I replaced my VC gasket last weekend because it was actively leaking down the back of the head. I get one small drip a night (less than dime size) from the RMS still. I'm debating holding off after reading the horror stories of battling the 2 piece seal and making it worse. My other concern is I am in the rusty Northeast so my exhaust is not going to come off easily to drop the pan. It's my 2nd vehicle and its garaged so I just keep a tray under it for now. I absolutely hate leaks, but I don't want to risk making it worse since its such a small drip.
Try switching the engine oil to Mobil Super (a conventional with extra seal conditioners) which cured my BMW's RMS leak. I haven't needed a drip pan under it since making the switch.

X
X2

Oh, come on, don't pop his bubble. Just wait until he comes back asking where a leak is coming from because it's all pooled up and dripping from the back of his skids. 🤣
This was the last oil leak I fixed. I couldn’t tell where it was coming from and I’m too proud to ask for help so I just tore into it. (But in all honesty the joke must have went over my head 😆)

A333F18F-D549-4781-80E7-00731E4F59CA.jpeg

17397381-F552-40BD-92AF-EF8AFDEE51A3.jpeg

Try switching the engine oil to Mobil Super (a conventional with extra seal conditioners) which cured my BMW's RMS leak. I haven't needed a drip pan under it since making the switch.
@Jerry Bransford thanks for the tip, I will try that. I just bought the jeep recently and it came with a fresh oil change. I have no idea what they brand they used so I was planning on it anyway. I have always used a Valvoline, but I will give your Mobil Super a try for sure.