My TJ Project

I have great kids! They ordered a Currectlync Steering System for me for my 60th birthday.
Well, we wanted to make sure the steering didn't pretzel when we take it wheeling the first time just because I talked you into 35" tires!

Project update:
I almost pulled the trigger on a crate rear axle with locker. I discussed my plan with a friend who has been wheeling his TJs for years. He suggested I look into an 8.8 swap with new axel shafts,re-gear, with ARB lockers. I spoke with the owner of a shop that my son, and several others had suggested. It turns out that He was able to do the 8.8, new chrome molly axles front and rear, ARB lockers with compressor, trussed front, 4.88 gears, rear disc brakes, for a bit more than I was looking at for parts only.

I am convinced that he has delivered a safer product than I would have been able to produce, ever. The other benefit is that he has saved me months of weekend work. Our first wheeling trip to a local off road park was a huge success.

This weekend we installed the Currie steering kit. While installing that I discovered the steering damper is shot. It gives virtually zero resistance in either direction. Driving the Jeep, I cannot tell it is gone. My question is which steering stabilizer makes sense? I have no driveline or suspension issues, but I do want a functional unit in it when the gears are broken in and I can wheel it the way I want to. Thanks in advance for the help.

It doesn't take a lot to stabilize our TJ steering. That's why it is hard for you to tell that it's not installed right now. Stay away from Skyjacker and low end brands. Rancho makes a good stabilizer or you could go OME or Fox.

Seems to me that discussions of steering stabilizers have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a 'low end brand'...they all pretty much do the same thing. There seems to be only less and more expensive. Somewhere I read that the Monroe version is all you need.

A steering damper is simply a 50/50 shock. Virtually any will work. I run a basic Monroe and works fine. Fight the urge to spend a bundle on an OME, Bilstein, etc. They simply aren't worth the money.

Project update:
I almost pulled the trigger on a crate rear axle with locker. I discussed my plan with a friend who has been wheeling his TJs for years. He suggested I look into an 8.8 swap with new axel shafts,re-gear, with ARB lockers. I spoke with the owner of a shop that my son, and several others had suggested. It turns out that He was able to do the 8.8, new chrome molly axles front and rear, ARB lockers with compressor, trussed front, 4.88 gears, rear disc brakes, for a bit more than I was looking at for parts only.

I am convinced that he has delivered a safer product than I would have been able to produce, ever. The other benefit is that he has saved me months of weekend work. Our first wheeling trip to a local off road park was a huge success.

This weekend we installed the Currie steering kit. While installing that I discovered the steering damper is shot. It gives virtually zero resistance in either direction. Driving the Jeep, I cannot tell it is gone. My question is which steering stabilizer makes sense? I have no driveline or suspension issues, but I do want a functional unit in it when the gears are broken in and I can wheel it the way I want to. Thanks in advance for the help.
Since you 'almost pulled the trigger' on the crate axle, I am assuming you went ahead with the built 8.8? I think you allude to that, just confirming that you went that direction...if so, nice!

I did have the axels / gears redone. I hit the wall with my mechanics skills and wanted to wheel the thing. My pride may be bruised a bit but he did a good job for me. I installed my winch this afternoon and am just about ready to roll.

IMG_1361.JPG

Reactions: Zackz1997
Metalcloak overland fenders. They claim you can run 35s with no lift. My first easy wheeling trip revealed slight rub in front at full stuff. I may need to add a bit more bump stop. My plan was to keep it as low as possible with 35s. Time will tell if it works.

Reactions: Mike_H and Rob5589
I have a similar plan, though I'm not making the jump to 35's right away. 2.5 inch ome lift and a 1.25 inch body lift with 33's. Figure if I want 35's, I'll be able to add fenders and be there.

Reactions: JMT