My TK Build

Wombat

TJ Enthusiast

What's a TK?

WP_20171012_14_20_46_Pro.jpg

...it's a TJ running 33's that rides just like a JK with 33's.

I remember running into a bloke in his fifties about a year after I bought my first TJ in 97, he was considering a TJ but he went on to say, "I need more comfort these days", I didn't get it, twenty years later I get it and let's face it, a TJ running a three inch lift and 33's is a punishing experience when compared to a JK on 33's. I'm reluctant to part it out for the more refined JK so I set about trying to achieve the same ride quality from my 2001 TJ without spending a fortune - not to feel every bump and corrugation in the road - even it meant losing some off road prowess. So this is what I did.

The theory
I would need to match or better; the suspension geometry, curb weight and unsprung weight of the JK to achieve the same ride quality using similar 3" higher springs and JK shocks.

Tires
The JK runs a 255/75R17 coming in at 32. 47 lbs (32x10x15), our good old friends at BFG have provided us with the perfect fifteen inch equivalent 33x10.5x15 at about an inch taller, a little wider and comes in at a very lean 55 pounds, the equivalent in a metric size is a 285/75/17 that weighs in at just shy of 62 pounds, quite a bit heaver which is strange considering it has less sidewall. I am told that's because they use heaver compounds in the construction of metric sizes, nevertheless, based on the JK running 285/75/17 and my TJ running 33x10.5x15 we are well under the JKs unsprung weight with respect to tires by seven pounds a corner
100_1575.JPG

Springs
First thing is a set of suitable soft springs, I used the Black diamond three inch springs but you can use whatever as long as they are fairly soft. Stock JK springs will do the job but you will need a front spring spacer and a little modifying to make them fit, there is plenty of info inline if you want to do that to save some money.

Shocks
The stock OME JK shocks fit up to the TJ mounting points with minimal modification, the lower rear shocks are too wide to fit inside the axle mounts but you can use a grinder to slim down the eyelets on either side of the shock, if necessary, the lower axle mounts can be pried opened a small amount.
WP_20180411_15_11_14_Pro.jpg

With the front we went with the JKS bar pin eliminators and fabricated a sleeve to take up the space between the pin and shock eyelet
WP_20180411_15_09_48_Pro.jpg

Control Arms
I guess any long arm kit will do the job but I chose teraflex because they have a budget kit replacing only the lower arms that's cheaper than doing upper and lowers, if need be you can add upper arms latter.

Result
With the control arm geometry overcorrected and all the relative unsprung weight very close to that of the JK - with 100 kilos or so of winch, bar work and tire carrier making my TJ very close to a JK's curb weight - together with the JK spring rate and shocks, if you close your eyes and hide the trusty roar of the 4.0L you could easily think you're in a JK running 33's. It's a very smooth ride and it takes some time to get use to, you keep bracing yourself for the bumps that never come.
WP_20180424_09_01_43_Pro.jpg

As for handling, At an intersection near my home has some corrugations that use to cause my TJ to lose traction turning right - that's left turn for you guys - when mashing the skinny peddle in second gear but after fitting the JK shocks that no longer happens. The tires maintain contact with the road and refuse to let go, it's truly amazing how much better it performs then the shocks that came with the original Black diamond 3" lift kit or the Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks I upgraded to about year ago.

I've driven a stack of TJ's with fox and ARB shocks to name just a few and although the ARB kit is nice, there's no comparison on or off road if you're looking for a comfortable surefooted ride.

Downside
I have lost a bit of articulation when compared to the Black diamond shocks and to be fare to the Ranchos you could say I have lost a lot of articulation - you really notice it when trying to climb up big rocks - but I plan on fitting an air locker up front to match the ARB in the rear and I'm hoping that will help offset the articulation downgrade.

Rancho
100_1187.JPG

JK Shocks
WP_20180411_15_09_14_Pro.jpg

I'm also expecting the shocks to fade when pushed, partially on a hot Australian summer days but if I mitigate my driving to suite the conditions I should be fine.

Future
I would like to upgrade the upper control arms to the TF four link with a high steer but I'll probably just install a Falcon stabilizer and call it done. Drop ratios from 4.10 to 4.56. Install a double DIN touch screen entertainment system with TPS, nav and a few other goodies. Move to the KO A/T treat pattern, add some sound reduction methods I've learnt over the years and fit a Bestop Twill Supertop to reduce highway noise.

Hindsight
Would I do it again? Well Hell Yeah! In fact I couldn't own a TJ as a daily driver without a similar setup unless it was near stock, (OEM) my back couldn't take it. If you're looking for a setup that you can feel comfortable and confident with, not just on the street but down the highway at 110k then this is it.

Since I've owned it from new I thought I'd post up the - no build - 4.0L history and let's not forget it's been to hell and back more times than I care to remember and as a daily driver pushing 33's with 3.7's for most of its life. (now has 4.10, going to 4.56 soon) I don't detail the engine bay, only a light soap spray now and then but I always wash it after a day on the trail, I never leave it dry overnight.

Getting close to 120,000 miles (190k's) on the clock and so far I've had to replace:
  • Main seal (2)
  • Rocker gasket (2)
  • Fan belt (3)
  • Pulleys (2)
  • Water pump (1)
  • Thermostat (1)
  • Orifice valve (1)
  • TPS (2)
  • Windscreen washer motor (2)
  • Radiator (2)
  • Hoses (1)
  • Battery (4)
  • Air filter (Never K&N)
  • Spark plugs (3)
  • Gearbox oil (4)
  • Engine oil (lost track)
  • And today the bloody filler cap self destructed! - on order - God knows how I'm going to get it off?
I know, It's been eighteen years but I'm really struggling to think of anything else, perhaps one of the coil packs, not sure and before you ask, yes, that's the original clutch fan. They really got it right by the end of the road didn't they...

Rock solid proven reliability in a square shaped box.

Last edited:
That's a clean engine bay!

One of the things people forget about JKs in terms of them "riding better" is that they have double insulated bodies (meaning it's not just one sheet of metal like the TJs) in many places, as well as more sound dampening material. This gives the perceived effect of a better ride due to the reduced noise levels.

Obviously that's not all of it, but it is one factor to take into consideration. When I drove a JK, I kept commenting on how much quieter it was than my TJ, which definitely gives you the impression that it rides so much better.

There's more to it than that as you've figured out, but it's just one piece of the equation. Either way, very cool build, something I haven't seen before!

JKs in terms of them "riding better" is that they have double insulated bodies
I hadn't considered that, they are quieter no doubt, but not by a long shot. I test drove a new JK this week and it wasn't as nice as expected, quiet but no bottom end whatsoever in that mini van 6, hated the drive by wire feeling but loved the comfort and quieter ride. Steering wasn't much better than the TJ either.

I need a new soft top, quieter exhaust, A/T's, upgraded entertainment system, heated leather seats and deeper ratios if I wanna keep it for much longer, I have to do a lot of driving now, the lack of comfort is getting to me. I ether flush 10 grand on it or pass it on and just get a JL when they arrive in about 6-12 months time.

You see, there are young blokes that would love the note on my grumbling 2.5 stainless system, M/T's, etc, and I now need to think about a new direction, I've got a good 12 months to work out what to do.

I hadn't considered that, they are quieter no doubt, but not by a long shot. I test drove a new JK this week and it wasn't as nice as expected, quiet but no bottom end whatsoever in that mini van 6, hated the drive by wire feeling but loved the comfort and quieter ride. Steering wasn't much better than the TJ either.

I need a new soft top, quieter exhaust, A/T's, upgraded entertainment system, heated leather seats and deeper ratios if I wanna keep it for much longer, I have to do a lot of driving now, the lack of comfort is getting to me. I ether flush 10 grand on it or pass it on and just get a JL when they arrive in about 6-12 months time.

You see, there are young blokes that would love the note on my grumbling 2.5 stainless system, M/T's, etc, and I now need to think about a new direction, I've got a good 12 months to work out what to do.

Yes, I'm not a fan of that drive-by-wire feeling, nor am I a fan of that minivan engine. The 4.0 is loud and unrefined, but that's what makes it a fun engine to own. Plus, just think of when that dive-by-wire stops working. On the 4.0 all you need to do is swap out the throttle cable, but on the drive-by-wire you've got to replace a computer!

The JLs are much, much quieter than the JKs even. But, they accomplished this by adding a lot more sound proofing material and other stuff (which also adds more weight and complexity). The JL is no longer one of those vehicles that you work on yourself in your garage. It's a vehicle where you take it to the dealer and it has to be serviced by a computer technician (err... mechanic I mean), due to all the complexities.

I've talked to some people who own JLs and they tell me they are so quiet it's almost like driving a Lexus (with the hardtop of course).

The Millennial upgrade

WP_20181010_14_25_02_Pro.jpg

Technology available for cars has come a long way since I bought my first car with an ECM (1997 TJ) and I'd never of guessed it would march forward in leaps and bounds as it has done in the last four or five years. I've sat back watching it all happen without indulging but now I'm commuting around the city I could do with a GPS, maby a reverse camera and chuck in a TPMS...

WP_20181010_14_28_29_Pro.jpg

But not at the expense of my cockpit resembling a game of snakes & ladders taking over the dashboards valuable real estate, let's face it, the TJ never had much to begin with.

WP_20181010_14_38_33_Pro.jpg

I want the technology, I just don't want the mess that comes with multiple standalone independent solutions. I've thought a lot about installing a GPS for outback touring but couldn't settle on a solution

WP_20181010_14_27_32_Pro.jpg

Arthritis is telling me to stop cranking C3 when trying to parallel park so a reverse camera has also been on my mind.

WP_20181010_14_31_20_Pro.jpg

Okay, I know plenty of you have already done the double DIN thing, it's not everyone's cuppa tea but I've got to say I'm ticketed pink and wonder how I ever did without it.

WP_20181010_14_30_14_Pro.jpg

1024 x 600 Capacitive Screen, Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth Phone Book, AM, FM, DTV, DVD, VCD, MP3, Mpeg 4, Divx, Jpeg, TPMS, USB, Crash cam, Reverse Camera with an extra external AUX input for a second camera and OBD2 compatible.

WP_20181010_14_31_57_Pro.jpg

I'm glad I chose an infotainment unit with a physical volume, nav and home menu controls as you don't need to take your eyes off the road to find basic functionality. In all honesty, I could do a 2,000 word post on infotainment systems alone and not cover the half of it so I'll leave that alone right now except to say, at least now I know why these days so many people goof off at the lights and drive so slowly.

Android Auto for the Jeep® brand

So now I'm not feeling at all left out in the cold when a new JL pulls alongside me next year.
I installed the tech so I can troubleshoot it, fix it, add to it and f#(% with it all I like.

Moving forward
A crash cam managed by the infotainment system should be next, once thats working I want to finish with the hardware by installing an OBD2 diagnostic transmitter and some funky app to monitor the engine management system just for fun. As far as software go's, where do you stop? Some very interesting apps like Waze that I must get familiar with and apps that hunt down cheap gas in your aria, let you know how I go with all that in another post.

WP_20181008_21_28_24_Pro.jpg

WP_20181010_14_26_15_Pro.jpg

Ha, I love the title, "The Millennial Upgrade". You're so right! How long before that piece of tech becomes obsolete? Probably 5-7 years tops! :D

Seriously though, I've been thinking about doing this myself, just because I'd love the backup camera feature. Backing up is such a pain in the butt with my 35" spare tire on there. It gets in the way big time, to the point where I actually ran into a post recently when backing up.

I’m planning on doing something like this too. A backup camera I think is just a great safety feature, and it’d be cool to have a front camera for those steep decents too I could turn on. Sounds like some cool ideas you have there like the OBD, it’ll be cool to see what you do with it.

What brand is that? Is it oem from Jeep?

The Millennial upgrade

View attachment 58940

Technology available for cars has come a long way since I bought my first car with an ECM (1997 TJ) and I'd never of guessed it would march forward in leaps and bounds as it has done in the last four or five years. I've sat back watching it all happen without indulging but now I'm commuting around the city I could do with a GPS, maby a reverse camera and chuck in a TPMS...

View attachment 58943

But not at the expense of my cockpit resembling a game of snakes & ladders taking over the dashboards valuable real estate, let's face it, the TJ never had much to begin with.

View attachment 58947

I want the technology, I just don't want the mess that comes with multiple standalone independent solutions. I've thought a lot about installing a GPS for outback touring but couldn't settle on a solution

View attachment 58942

Arthritis is telling me to stop cranking C3 when trying to parallel park so a reverse camera has also been on my mind.

View attachment 58945

Okay, I know plenty of you have already done the double DIN thing, it's not everyone's cuppa tea but I've got to say I'm ticketed pink and wonder how I ever did without it.

View attachment 58944

1024 x 600 Capacitive Screen, Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth Phone Book, AM, FM, DTV, DVD, VCD, MP3, Mpeg 4, Divx, Jpeg, TPMS, USB, Crash cam, Reverse Camera with an extra external AUX input for a second camera and OBD2 compatible.

View attachment 58946

I'm glad I chose an infotainment unit with a physical volume, nav and home menu controls as you don't need to take your eyes off the road to find basic functionality. In all honesty, I could do a 2,000 word post on infotainment systems alone and not cover the half of it so I'll leave that alone right now except to say, at least now I know why these days so many people goof off at the lights and drive so slowly.

Android Auto for the Jeep® brand

So now I'm not feeling at all left out in the cold when a new JL pulls alongside me next year.
I installed the tech so I can troubleshoot it, fix it, add to it and f#(% with it all I like.

Moving forward
A crash cam managed by the infotainment system should be next, once thats working I want to finish with the hardware by installing an OBD2 diagnostic transmitter and some funky app to monitor the engine management system just for fun. As far as software go's, where do you stop? Some very interesting apps like Waze that I must get familiar with and apps that hunt down cheap gas in your aria, let you know how I go with all that in another post.

That's a very nice and factory looking double DIN unit without chrome, flashy colors or styling. Please share what brand and model it is, and details of how you installed the reverse camera!

Last edited:
Reactions: Wombat
You're so right! How long before that piece of tech becomes obsolete? Probably 5-7 years tops! :D
I know right! Technically speaking it's already out of date because it has a CD/DVD player but yeah, It seems like every time I take a nanna nap something needs an update or becomes obsolete. Also, the backup camera was one of the main reasons I convinced myself I needed it and that remains the case, but being able to say, "Okay Google" to a 18 year old car and get a response is just gold.

Please share what brand and model it is, and details of how you installed the reverse camera!
Sure, I'll post up a "how to double DIN a TJ with reverse camera"and other goodies including my preferences and apps in the near future.

This was the most fun upgrade I've ever done and although I've never installed a sound system in a car before, I was surprised how easy it was to accomplish a complete job with everything connected, looking and working just like a factory option. I was seriously worried about what infotainment unit to choose as I have no experience with them except watching other drivers goofing at the traffic lights.

The last time I looked at THIS PAGE Jeep had not launched so this is happening right now, you can see many other brands have not launched as yet but plan to do so, now seems like the best time to jump on board. If there is one thing I've learnt about technology, it's that you cant hide from it and why would you? Unless you like missing out...
  • How about finding the cheapest gas in your aria?
  • What about suggesting you divert from your root to avoid everything from heavy traffic to booze checks?
  • Anyone have a use for an eye in the sky, literally SEE HERE available for most cities
Even a toothless hippie living on one tree hill will find something to like about Android Auto.

I know right! Technically speaking it's already out of date because it has a CD/DVD player but yeah, It seems like every time I take a nanna nap something needs an update or becomes obsolete. Also, the backup camera was one of the main reasons I convinced myself I needed it and that remains the case, but being able to say, "Okay Google" to a 18 year old car and get a response is just gold.

Yep, I used to try and keep up with technology until I realized it was pointless. Things change so fast that unless you're willing to update every 2 years, you'll get left behind fast. Not only that, but at the price some of this tech costs, you better make sure to really use it a lot and get your money out of it if you plan on updating that often.

But still, I like the idea of something like this for the backup camera, and the ability to have apps on the screen that might be particularly helpful with navigating off-road trails and such.

Reactions: Wombat
That's a very nice and factory looking double DIN unit without chrome, flashy colors or styling. Please share what brand and model it is, and details of how you installed the reverse camera!

Crutchfield has a good one, but it’s expensive ($99). However if you also buy the head unit from them it’s 1/2 off.

The head unit I chose is expensive with options like DVD/CD, GPS chip, TPMS and a 1024x600 res with lots of video in and out ports. You may not want or need all those options?

I also chose this guy because he imports the units from asia with all the options thoroughly tested to work properly with the apps installed on the unit and its the latest vertion of android.
He also happens to live about two blocks from me : )
Brash Imports

I will do a how to for the install but I'm not finished installing, this shit is complicated, I will start a thread on infotainment systems alone with an emphasis on the TJ.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-
OK, now I know the new DIN conversion works without issues, im trying to finish this off nicely by converting the old ashtray & cigarette lighter...

WP_20181011_12_51_57_Pro.jpg

...to the late model vertion of the centre console found in the last iteration of the TJ.

WP_20181019_21_57_29_Pro.jpg

I love my new console setup!
I still have to drill new holes on the ashtray side to properly secure the new switch and power unit but everything lines up well and for all intended purposes it looks and works completely like an OME option. Also, contrary to belief, with a little modification I should be able to connect up both power outlets.

WP_20181019_21_57_58_Pro.jpg

WP_20181019_21_57_41_Pro.jpg

Added some USB ports...

img_0434-jpg.jpg

How to - USB dash install for phone & thumb drive - HERE

Dash Cam (with ADAS in development)

IMG_0448.JPG
IMG_0460.JPG
IMG_0466.JPG
IMG_0467.JPG
IMG_0468.JPG
IMG_0471.JPG

It Keeps recording even when the car is switched off.

Reactions: Chris
Been awhile since I've updated my build thread so here goes:

1. New ARB Dana 30 Front air locker to complement my 15 year old ARB Dana 44 Rear air locker
  2. New G2 4.56 Ring & pinions, down from 4:10
  3. Added in G2 Chromoly front axle 27 Spline and G2 Chromoly Rear axle 30 Spline with a G2 aluminum Dana 44 differential cover.
IMG_0722.JPG

Next I set my attention on a Hurst shifter I had bought a couple of years ago that didn't work out that well because it was too stiff when compared to the OME so I changed it out and reinstalled the original.
When I detailed this information in an email to core shifters Chris told me he had a few complaints that led him to change the fulcrum, bracket and stick, I'm a sucker for punishment so I decided to update it. Chris gave me a great deal and I couldn't be happier, I installed an isolator between the bracket and the stick supplied by core shifters with another isolator that came with a Saas knob I picked up at a local Autoban store.

Ok, so why would I go to so much trouble and expense when the OME does the job relatively well? The answer is twofold

1. the OME setup is floored IMO as a result of the lenghe of the throw coming into contact with the centre console bessel when shifting into second and reverse, particularly when hung up on something out on the trail. I got sick of missing those gears and now I do not have that issue anymore, shifting is smoother, tighter and with a slightly shorter throw.

2. The rubber grommet/isolator/gasket thingy that installs between the NV3550 box and core leaks after a few years so if oil is getting out then water can get in, you don't want that if you get stuck in a deep river crossing, In addition, the top of the OME core also leaks with age. The new setup is sealed up much better from top to bottom and for me to buy the rubber grommet for the OME setup is almost as expensive as the cost of the Hurst shifter and it does not require a rubber grommet or gasket.

So there you have it and here she is...

IMG_0854.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0839.JPG

IMG_0842.JPG

IMG_0844.JPG

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0939.JPG

Last edited:
  • Wow
I do need to clean up the glue left behind from masking tape but loving my new console!
Finally got around to finishing off with an air conditioner bypass switch that I should have installed years ago.

When questioning the dealer about why there was no on/off switch before I bought it - as I like to use the recirculate fan function when in heavy traffic or behind a smokey car without triggering the a/c - he said it was to insure a/c systems longevity. I get that you must cycle through all a/c airflow positions with the a/c on every now and again but now I can do that when it suits me. I also like to have control over the a/c when in some off road situations.

I'm really happy with the result and the downward facing USB ports have been really practical as no crap falls into them so you don't need to clean or cap them.

IMG_1444.JPG

Been a while so time to update my build thread...

Golen 4.6L Stroker:

img_20200107_113920-jpg.jpg

The new 4.6L is in and It's much more fun to drive.​

Now I'm running 33's with 4.56 that gets me smack on "one to one" in fourth gear combined with the 4.6L turning my little 33x10.5x15's it's more like it was when it was OME, just what I was looking for and I have close to the same fuel consumption if I quick shift and drive it under 2,000 RPM but the trouble is I cant stop driving it more like this...

...Just kidding, I rarely drive it like that but we were going into lockdown for over two months the next day.

Reactions: Vasq and rasband