My Undercarriage Paint Project

Vtx531

TJ Addict
Going to try and clean up the undercarriage of my Jeep. I decided to use Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer and Rustoleum Satin Black Enamel. Everything will be brushed on so I can do small portions at a time, avoid overspray, and get a little more detailed (keep nuts/bolts/clamps/hardware/stickers clean of paint)

I already had the front driveshaft removed so I did that first. Here it is with the rusty metal primer. Satin black goes on today.

I had previously spray bombed everything black underneath so the original sticker on the driveshaft was covered. I was able to scratch the paint off like a lotto ticket with plastic razor blade to “restore” it to it readable - my win for the morning.

C2C8DA0A-03C3-4382-97D9-768850412D13.jpeg

92B501B6-720B-445E-9E45-B52D95B763A7.jpeg

Last edited:
If that's what you want to do, good for you. I'm on the lazy side of doing much more than hitting the underneath with a garden hose and maybe once in a while the pressure washer.

And as if no one would expect me to ask questions,

Are you doing the work in your kitchen?

Is the wife cool with that?

What scale train rides on that track?

If that's what you want to do, good for you. I'm on the lazy side of doing much more than hitting the underneath with a garden hose and maybe once in a while the pressure washer.

And as if no one would expect me to ask questions,

Are you doing the work in your kitchen?

Is the wife cool with that?

What scale train rides on that track?
You probably don’t live in the rust belt? The undercarriage rust on mine looks bad. I need to do something. (Patch panels...yea yea yea...eventually...)

I brought the driveshaft inside the kitchen to help the paint dry better overnight (temp got down to 31 degrees) and to keep dust/pollen off for the topcoat.

Brought driveshaft in at midnight and I haven’t spoke with her yet. She doesn’t like when I do things inside with strong odors so I was worried about that with the paint drying but I decided to take the risk and it seems okay. No odor surprisingly (to me). She will probably come downstairs and say the smell is so strong that it is making her sick lol.

Not sure of the scale, it’s a ride-on for my two year old. Based on my measurement 1:13 scale.

Oven/range is a Whirlpool just so that question doesnt come up next. hahaha

Oven/range is a Whirlpool just so that question doesnt come up next. hahaha
Dammit! I don't know why I left that out.

I do live in the rust belt and I understand keeping rust at bay. Cleaning the sticker threw me off some. I don't think I have any original stickers still in existence.

Good luck with the wife today and I wish I had a train that big 52 years ago.

Reactions: Vtx531
Reminds me of the time I rebuilt a Harley Pan-Flathead engine on the kitchen table - and that's when we didn't even have a dining room (or table for same). We've been eating on TV trays ever since, LOL...

Reactions: Vtx531
Does this project include essentially everything underneath? Frame, skids, etc? DS came out great!

Does this project include essentially everything underneath? Frame, skids, etc? DS came out great!
Thank you! It will include everything underneath...planning on little sections at a time and removing as much as possible i.e. skidplate to paint the skid and also paint the frame under/behind the skid.

Hoping the rusty metal primer will allow the paint to stick and last a couple years before having to repeat. I find brush painting like this relaxing as opposed to air spraying which is stressful to me for some reason.

Reactions: TWiG01
I'm painting my frame and axles (and components) as I do my lift. Now you've made me feel guilty for not considering painting the front DS (getting new rear DS for lift)...

I'm painting my frame and axles (and components) as I do my lift. Now you've made me feel guilty for not considering painting the front DS (getting new rear DS for lift)...
Good thing it is pretty easy to remove! What paint are you using and how are you applying it?

Good thing it is pretty easy to remove! What paint are you using and how are you applying it?

Wire wheeling heavy rust. Those spots get Rustoleum self etching primer.

Everything is getting Rustoluem flat black. That will be covered by Rustoleum flat/not gloss clear coat. I've done too much on the Jeep with just the Rustloeum flat black and no clear coat. It turns gray and, on wear spots, it burns through quickly. Hoping the clear coat keeps it looking good.

Wire wheeling heavy rust. Those spots get Rustoleum self etching primer.

Everything is getting Rustoluem flat black. That will be covered by Rustoleum flat/not gloss clear coat. I've done too much on the Jeep with just the Rustloeum flat black and no clear coat. It turns gray and, on wear spots, it burns through quickly. Hoping the clear coat keeps it looking good.
I have no experience but I would be surprised if the clear coat is any different as far as durability if it is the same type of paint (Enamel?)

Good luck to us!

Reminds me of the time I rebuilt a Harley Pan-Flathead engine on the kitchen table - and that's when we didn't even have a dining room (or table for same). We've been eating on TV trays ever since, LOL...
Did a Harley in the living room once (was a recent divorcee at the time). Did a transfer case on my bar in the man cave a month or so ago. I only got busted, because I needed her to hold the transfercase while I torques the halves together. Eventually they get used to it😂

Reactions: TheGanzman