My very own vibration thread

makorider

So I have a vibration that is suddenly getting to be more noticeable

Decided to take the jeep to the office today. I was feeling something when I pushed the clutch in from 4th to 5th. Had to run out and see someone, back to the office, then 35 miles home. As the day progressed, it definately got worse, or I was paying much closer attention, to the point when I got home I could almost hear it. Like a hum. Also feeling it in my heels on the floorpan at that point.

Only happening over 40mph. Definately rotational imo, high frequency.

I'm guessing driveshaft UJ? I've always heard them on my other trucks and my old YJ long before I ever felt them, so a little different here. Plus, it seemed to go from barely noticeable to noticable in a very short period of time.

On a side note, I have a little tire balance issue at around 52 mph sometimes but am quickly able to power past it when it occurs. Hit a pot hole right at that speed last week and experienced what I would call death wobble. Had to slow down to 20 or so mph before she settled down. Coincidence?

Its an 05 RME with a 2" budget lift on 33s if it matters.

UJs, and no real big deal or should I be looking elsewhere too?

I'd look at the ujoints for sure. A tire balance and a drive shaft vibe definitely feel different.

Without a doubt.

Guess I was asking in a round about way, could the fact that I experienced 'death wobble' have broken something else?

Well, it certainly won't help things. So, now you get to not only check ujoints, but now get to check steering components, ball joints, etc. Trust me, I'm the vibration thread expert, lol! Get the tires balanced while you are at it.

Reactions: psrivats
Bob has his phone on vibrate . He's that serious .

I agree a dry u joint is likely .