My XJ is howling

Justemptyeverypocket

Possible Maniac
Supporting Member
So my tj is out for the count for a while so I'm driving my xj I started it today and noticed that it has a really loud howling noise coming from the front of the engine near the ac compresor any idea what this might be? now I know this isn't the xj forum but I figured yall would probably have some insight giving that they have the same drive train

Last edited:
take the serpentine belt off and then start it briefly to see if the sound is still there or not. If it is not then it's something driven by your belt maybe the bearings for the air conditioning compressor.

Reactions: Chris
We had this problem on a 1995 Dodge Ram. It was the alternator if it sat for more than a couple days. We'd turn it with a wrench and everything would be fine again until the next time it sat too long.

I'm only mentioning the Dodge because my son's 1995 YJ had the alternator go bad and we swapped in the Ram alternator where we had the same problem a few more times. After we let it sit for six months due to other problems a new alternator was needed.