Mystery plug under center dash bezel

meangreen98

TJ Enthusiast
Just noticed this over weekend when vacuuming the carpet. It comes from the dash right above where the center console meets, I was too lazy to trace it. Photo is from the drivers side.
98 Sport 4.0 5M

Any ideas?

20200920_114814.jpg

Its the indicator light for auto transmissions. I used mine to light up a psi gauge for my on board air

View attachment 191468

Awesome...I just noticed this yesterday while installing a new console and at first thought I messed something up, like the e-brake wire.

Good usage of your light socket. How does the light turn and off, is there a relay/switch that controls the light?

Awesome...I just noticed this yesterday while installing a new console and at first thought I messed something up, like the e-brake wire.

Good usage of your light socket. How does the light turn and off, is there a relay/switch that controls the light?
Comes on whenever I turn on the lights. Dimmable too as its tied into all the other dash lights

Reactions: meangreen98
Comes on whenever I turn on the lights. Dimmable too as its tied into all the other dash lights

Oh wow, so it's tied into that lighting. Cool....Now I have to figure out a usage for that socket. Do you recall what bulb it took? WTF am I a rookie....courtesy of @nk24

"The bulb is a 658 incandescent or a 194 LED."

Oh wow, so it's tied into that lighting. Cool....Now I have to figure out a usage for that socket. Do you recall what bulb it took? WTF am I a rookie....courtesy of @nk24

"The bulb is a 658 incandescent or a 194 LED."
If you go with LED, you'll likely need to trim the housing around the LED to get it to fit.

Reactions: skrelnik
On my ‘06, behind the climate controls on the center connector/wire harness, there is a orange wire with black tracer (maybe brown, I can’t tell for sure). You can tap into for dimmable lighting if you need to for other lighting projects. No idea if thats the same for all TJ years.

Reactions: skrelnik