Myth or truth: Different snatch block for winch synthetic rope?

Ericict

I don't proofread for your enjoyment.
Supporting Member
Was in the process of putting together a recovery kit and have found some snatch blocks stating synthetic rope only. Is this a marketing thing or is there some truth to it. TIA.

I would think it matters what they are made of. If you have a snatch block that was used with steel wire you can't use it with synthetic rope. I have seen some snatch blocks saying Synth only but they had a nylon roller not metal.

Post a link to the ones you are talking about.

Might help if you post a link. If you are talking about the recovery ring donut looking thinks don’t bother with them. Too much loss due to friction to be worth using.

Reactions: Wildman
I have the TRE version. I have not got to use it yet but it’s incredibly light, and made very well. One thing I really like about it is that it is designed to use a soft shackle. So now I don’t have to carry anything but soft shackles.

EAF22F03-854E-47EF-8607-17933B5E8463.jpeg
8C3ADBC9-C389-4BF9-9F78-6C4FF213296E.jpeg

Here’s a link to it if you’re interested.
https://tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/product-category/snatch-blocks/

I have the TRE version. I have not got to use it yet but it’s incredibly light, and made very well. One thing I really like about it is that it is designed to use a soft shackle. So now I don’t have to carry anything but soft shackles.

View attachment 158592View attachment 158593

Here’s a link to it if you’re interested.
https://tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/product-category/snatch-blocks/
I’d still carry a hard shackle, some recovery points are sharp.

I would think it matters what they are made of. If you have a snatch block that was used with steel wire you can't use it with synthetic rope. I have seen some snatch blocks saying Synth only but they had a nylon roller not metal.

Post a link to the ones you are talking about.
There are a number that I have looked at, but have seen some that said for synth. only, so wasn't sure if this was a marketing thing or not. Can you use a synth rope on a steel roller with no adverse results.

I’d still carry a hard shackle, some recovery points are sharp.

Yeah been thinking about throwing one in the kit in case I have to hook up to another rig, or pull someone out that doesn’t have soft shackle safe attachment points.

After seeing @mrblaine ’s girthy soft shackle from the other thread, I present a nylon soft shackle synthetic ready snatchblock ring. I swear it isn’t rated for a 100 ton crane with 1” wire rope.

FFFCA085-637A-4BF3-A563-BFE1E0E1318C.jpeg

There are a number that I have looked at, but have seen some that said for synth. only, so wasn't sure if this was a marketing thing or not. Can you use a synth rope on a steel roller with no adverse results.
If I spec'd one out for synthetic only it would be only due to the pulley material being torn up easily by steel and that would include an aluminum pulley.

Reactions: Ericict

As long as the steel roller has NEVER been used with steel wire then yes. The wire rope has burrs even if you don't feel them and they leave nicks in the steel roller. If you try to run synthetic rope those nicks then cut the synthetic rope causing it to wear faster.
The same applies to the steel rollers on a roller fairlead. Many say you shouldn't run a roller fairlead with synthetic rope but I haven't had issues with mine yet.

Reactions: Ericict
found some snatch blocks stating synthetic rope only. Is this a marketing thing or is there some truth to it.

Those snatch blocks are made with soft (and really light) sheaves that would be destroyed by using them with wire rope. Is they say to only use synthetic rope then follow that.