Name that lift!

Check the springs. Mine have Currie written on the powder coating. Definitely Currie control arms. What do the rear control arms look like?
Don’t have much powder coating left on them I’m afraid.

Since you have that Rubicon Express track bar I wonder if that’s what brand the springs are also.
Buying an 18 year old TJ, us being the third owner does not lend itself well to knowing much about the suspension or much else. I really appreciate all the knowledge shared. I will sleep better tonight knowing the suspension isn’t junk!

Reactions: ranger101
The times I have driven it before storing for the winter, no bump steer to speak of. Eye ball test places them on the same plane, or damn close. I can check more accurately later. The PO did all the steering components from the pitman arm to the wheels (inner and outer tie rods, centerlink/drag link, adjustment sleeve). He had all eight control arms replaced (four upper and four lower). It was also aligned. It was done at a reputable shop.
No need to eyeball or measure anything. You have a dropped pitman arm without a matching dropped track bar mount. The mounting points need to be in phase with each other. You need both dropped or neither dropped. I would recommend neither.

Reactions: M35A2
No need to eyeball or measure anything. You have a dropped pitman arm without a matching dropped track bar mount. The mounting points need to be in phase with each other. You need both dropped or neither dropped. I would recommend neither.
Thank you, I will have to locate a stock pitman arm. What will this do to the alignment and such? And after looking at the pic again this morning, it is glaring that the drop pitman arm needs to go!

Last edited:
I replaced the dropped pitman arm tonight with an OEM. I’ll try and get a pic tomorrow and post. Not the most fun replacing it, but satisfying doing it myself.

All I can say is thank you for the great information regarding the correct usage of a dropped pitman arm. And in my case, removing it and installing a stock arm. It aligned the drag link and track-bar damn perfect! One happy TJ owner!
:D

OEM Pitman Arm install 1-12-19 Trackbar and Drag Link Alignment.jpg

Reactions: jjvw
The pitman arm seems to get missed a lot....looks like you got a good overall set up... that is very good.

Reactions: Mikester86
A drop pitman arm is typically used with lifts over 4" in where the track bar is lowered at the frame side mount. Your tb is not lowered, so I'm not sure why the PO put the drop pitman arm on there. The drag link and track bar need to run parallel to each other so as not to induce bump steer. Don't confuse bump steer with death wobble. Two different animals.

Hi all. Long-time wheeler, first time Jeeper here (always had full size and larger rigs in the past) and ASE master tech.

Been reading a lot on here and have a quick question about a dropped pitman (I know they're evil... bear with me).
Bought a '99 Sahara with 35" tires and what measures out to be a 6" lift (16" springs and 2" spacer). Jeep was rolled over in TX on a trip from GA to MX.
Had stock track bars front and rear with relocation brackets on the axles but the rear axle was apparently about 2-3" offset, which is probably what caused the rollover. I've already ordered RC adjustable track bars, which I'm assuming will eliminate the need for the relocation brackets. I've also ordered the parts for a ZJ conversion on the rods, links and ends. I've learned from you guys that a dropped pitman is definitely NOT necessary for 4" of lift or less. But what about 6"? Should I just put on the new track bar, see how it lines up and then decide from there?

Don't have any pics of the suspension but here's the Jeep.

Thanks, all.

FirstPic.jpg