Name That Whining Sound (Hope it's not Angry Sparrows Starting)

EBW

Supporting Member
As the title states, does this High Pitch whining noise sound like the early stages of Angry Sparrows ? If not, does anyone know what it is ?

Apologies for the phone recording as there is Road noise as well as the whining noise.

I will attempt to attach my GoPro under the Jeep this weekend if its necessary to get more info for the group here.

I've seen others report u-joints as the cause of the "angry sparrows" but I have never experienced it. In for other replies.

what speeds does this occur at?

Its variable. Starts off slow when vehicle starts and increases with RPM/Speed.

Its definitely in the driveline. The noise is not from the motor ( belts or bearings )

Im thinking it could be axle related.. i had the same issue. if you go around a corner fast and kick your tires out a little will the noise become more prevalent?

Im thinking it could be axle related.. i had the same issue. if you go around a corner fast and kick your tires out a little will the noise become more prevalent?

I Haven't notice it around a corner. But it is noticeable. My daughter and wife both asked what THAT noise was.

I laughed at the earlier comments. Unfortunately it wasn't THEM making the whining sounds this time.... :D

just replaced my ujoints and one holdup was the difficulty in getting the centering yoke bearing in the cardan joint( the double ujoint ). the yoke is never really mentioned but it does have another bearing in it. Auto parts stores don't have it . I had to go to a drivetrain shop and he did not have spicer part #211544x but did have a neapco #7-0082ng which is an American made direct replacement .

Reactions: Thunderhead and EBW
Thanks for all the input fellas.

My next question. The U joints. I have been reading and attempting to figure out which ones I need. I know to get Spicer. Just which Model #

It is a 2006 Rubicon. Thanks to @Thunderhead for posting this to my Intro page. According to this, these are the ones I should be purchasing, https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p2..._for_2003_to_2006_jeep_tj_rubicon_with_o.html but unfortunately are out of stock for this company. I could piece meal them on Amazon Unless someone has a different suggestion. My plan is... If I am going to do this job, may as well replace ALL of them. Front Axle and driveline.

1545147123824.png

just replaced my ujoints and one holdup was the difficulty in getting the centering yoke bearing in the cardan joint( the double ujoint ). the yoke is never really mentioned but it does have another bearing in it. Auto parts stores don't have it . I had to go to a drivetrain shop and he did not have spicer part #211544x but did have a neapco #7-0082ng which is an American made direct replacement .

I had this difficulty also, spicer part #211544x, is that the right part for the cardan double u joint ?

First , if you think it's the double cardan front ,yank the shaft and drive it with the rear shaft only ...you will know right away .

My double cardan got tweaked during a u joint job and started popping , so I dropped the shaft and took it for a rebuild .

..if you look in the cap of a u joint , that needle bearing set up is essentially what a double cardan end looks like in the drive shaft center if I remember correctly.

Dry u joints are common , and including a double cardan you have 5 on the thing ..and it's a short vehicle . The Spicer lifetime sealed joints are super nice , that's what I went with .

The chart he sent is correct .

It will likely smooth right up with the new joints .

Reactions: EBW