Nano-Technology Ceramic Coating for Paint: Is This Stuff a Scam?

Yep, just like everything else, it's best to look closer at real world reviews than the marketing BS. The marketing BS is about as thick as it comes with these types of products. The money making opportunities don't end after the coating is applied either. Most coatings come with a set of maintenance rules and guidelines. Yep, you guessed it, most of these companies also want to sell you more products so you can "properly maintain" or "refresh" the surface. Then, in 3 years or so, they'll want you back to do it again.

While these coatings can be beneficial by adding a layer of protection, they are still expensive, semi-permanent, and won't protect against deeper scratches and poor maintenance in general.

Is this stuff a scam?

https://www.ftadetailingsalem.com/opticoat/

I keep hearing on the internet from all these people who have used products like "Opti-Coat" to ceramic coat their paint. Apparently it uses some sort of nano-technology to bond with the paint and protect it?

Sounds like 100% marketing scam bullshit to me. I mean "nano technology"? Are these guys just using big fancy words for the purpose of marketing, or is there actual merit to this stuff?

Just curious if any of the auto detail geeks out there might know.

It's a scam. They are basically passing it off as the same thing ceramic-coated cookware uses, with the same benefits of durability, except non-stick cookware is real ceramic applied in a relatively thick layer using a kiln. Unless they are baking your car after spraying it with actual ceramic there is nothing being bonded to the paint. The "Paint correction" which precedes the application is nothing more than a really nice detailing job, and its primary function is to make the car look really shiny when returned to the owner. Of course, the scammers are more than happy to claim it's due to the 'ceramic' coating. In reality, whatever they apply is likely a long-lasting polymer with just enough ceramic suspended in it to avoid being sued for false advertising . Perhaps that is where the 'nano' term stems from. It probably contains one part per billion of ceramic. It must, since the term 'nanotechnology' means the manipulation of matter on a molecular and atomic scale for micro-fabrication.
Don't get me wrong, polymers are fantastic and far superior to wax because they prevent or significantly reduce surface tension when water lands on the finish. Traditional wax makes water bead, which is the last thing you want since those beads will leave mineral deposits when they evaporate. Even so, the best polymers still need regular applications to continue performing. The reason these shops can offer multi-year warranties is because customers are paying the equivalent of a lifetime worth of waxing in one shot, so even if they reapply the polymer several times they are still making a mint.

Reactions: Chris
It's a scam. They are basically passing it off as the same thing ceramic-coated cookware uses, with the same benefits of durability, except non-stick cookware is real ceramic applied in a relatively thick layer using a kiln. Unless they are baking your car after spraying it with actual ceramic there is nothing being bonded to the paint. The "Paint correction" which precedes the application is nothing more than a really nice detailing job, and its primary function is to make the car look really shiny when returned to the owner. Of course, the scammers are more than happy to claim it's due to the 'ceramic' coating. In reality, whatever they apply is likely a long-lasting polymer with just enough ceramic suspended in it to avoid being sued for false advertising . Perhaps that is where the 'nano' term stems from. It probably contains one part per billion of ceramic. It must, since the term 'nanotechnology' means the manipulation of matter on a molecular and atomic scale for micro-fabrication.
Don't get me wrong, polymers are fantastic and far superior to wax because they prevent or significantly reduce surface tension when water lands on the finish. Traditional wax makes water bead, which is the last thing you want since those beads will leave mineral deposits when they evaporate. Even so, the best polymers still need regular applications to continue performing. The reason these shops can offer multi-year warranties is because customers are paying the equivalent of a lifetime worth of waxing in one shot, so even if they reapply the polymer several times they are still making a mint.

This is pretty much right inline with what I was thinking.

I stopped using wax years ago in favor of polymers (which I now believe are 100% superior to wax in every way). However, this whole "ceramic coating" and "paint correction" bullshit strike me as nothing more than fancy marketing terms these companies are throwing around to convince the unknowing that they are selling something state-of-the-art, when in reality it's nothing more than snake oil.

This is pretty much right inline with what I was thinking.

I stopped using wax years ago in favor of polymers (which I now believe are 100% superior to wax in every way). However, this whole "ceramic coating" and "paint correction" bullshit strike me as nothing more than fancy marketing terms these companies are throwing around to convince the unknowing that they are selling something state-of-the-art, when in reality it's nothing more than snake oil.
I would disagree with paint correction being snake oil.
Anything to prove that compound and polish (items used to cut paint) is bullshit?

Anything to prove that compound and polish (items used to cut paint) is bullshit?
I agree...Paint correction is a real thing and not "Bullshit" as @Chris says. Polymer coatings can work too, I'm sure. I just can't say one way or another as I've never used them. I did use a Cut, Polish, and Polymer wax process on my old boat and it worked VERY well. Its basically the same theory as paint correction, just more forgiving because Gel coat is SO much thicker than paint and clearcoat.

Back to the original point of the post...having it done at a dealer is a sure way to get ripped off.

Yes, I didn't mean to suggest "paint correction" was snake oil, just the "ceramic coating".

Since I posted this thread a while back, I've talked to many, many reputable detailers (all of whom do ceramic coating), and they said that while they will do it to a customers car if they request it, they never actually try to push it or make claims about it, because in their experience (and this was unanimous among all of them) they can't really say it does much at all other than make your car look good for a while.

They all seemed to agree it was over-priced, over-hyped, and nothing more than fancy marketing terms made to appeal to people who simply didn't know any better.

Thanks for sharing guys. I have learned a lot on this subject in a short span! Here still lies the most confusing part. Just like sealants and waxes....there are a such a wide range of these coating products to consider. While similar, they are not all equal. In order to help classify, I have taken some time to classify the general subtypes of these types of products being discussed (and a couple others). Like in my last post, I am trying to be as general and as fair as possible with the information without mentioning any specific products, detailers etc.
  1. Ceramic coatings are good, true and tested. As one detailing expert put it, this is "70's technology". The problem with these original formulas (some still around) is that they don't last nearly as long. These are still better than the teflon-based coatings.
  2. Newer professional nano-ceramic coatings (smaller particle size = better sealing + better bonding to the the paint) offer great protection and have a decent life span (the 2-3 years I mentioned previously).
  3. Consumer DIY nano-ceramic coatings. While decent and will last longer than a sealant or wax, these are not known to be as high of quality as professionally installed coatings. One detailer explained that the consumer grades are much easier to work with and are easier to remove in the short term during application in the case of an accident. They are purposely made as such for home use. That makes these product blends not quite as durable as the professional coatings that bond immediately when applied. But, at 1/10 the cost of a professional job (assuming you do a good DIY), are the professional products 10x better? But still, unless you have experience in paint correction and/or preparation that should take place beforehand, you’ll likely want to get the coating done by a professional.
  4. Glass coatings (SiC). While ceramics are also made of SiO2 like glass, these newer coatings, over the past decade or so, use Silicon Carbide (SiC). Most professional detailers now offer these. These coatings are more expensive than ceramics and the coating process also takes longer from what I have read. However, these coatings are more durable and supposedly can last several years when cared for properly. The newer coatings products are sometimes hybrid mixes of SiC and different ceramic nano particles to achieve specific properties (shine, durability, hardness etc.).
  5. Self-healing coatings. These newer coatings claim to be able to self-heal smaller scratches when heat is applied. Other products claim to self-heal on their own over time.
  6. Other coatings (many DIY found in auto parts stores) - adding this class of non-Ceramic coating products because these confuse ignorant consumers with cheaper alternatives that try make the same claims (but aren't in the same class or quality of product).

I only just discovered ceramic coatings, and I'm interested in learning more. So, I'm reviving this thread (in which they were first debated) four years later.

What's the current Forum opinion on these products? Any specific recommendations? Any pro tips on application? I'm eager to learn more about these and try one out.

@Chris

Last edited:
I got the Turtle Wax cearamic spray. Rated the second best for general box store ceramic. My concern is covering the plastic fender flares from UV rays. Hoping to keep them from turning grey from the sun. They are new, and have several coats. We will see.

Reactions: SSTJ
I only just discovered ceramic coatings, and I'm interested in learning more. So, I'm reviving this thread (in which they were first debated) four years later.

What's the current Forum opinion on these products? Any specific recommendations? Any pro tips on application? I'm eager to learn more about these and try one out.

@Chris

Bump

Ceramic coating is definitely snake oil, paint correction very effective and real.
I've been using TopCoat F11 on my trim for a while now on both vehicles and it does a remarkable job of keeping it (trim) fresh and new looking.
Nice thing is you can get it on any surface of the car and it just buffs off.
I still use good wax on the paint, used the F11 at first there too, but found wax is just as good. Nothing I've found works as well and lasts as long on the black trim whether it's plastic or painted.
I get it by the gallon now.

Reactions: Chris
Ceramic coating is definitely snake oil, paint correction very effective and real.
I've been using TopCoat F11 on my trim for a while now on both vehicles and it does a remarkable job of keeping it (trim) fresh and new looking.
Nice thing is you can get it on any surface of the car and it just buffs off.
I still use good wax on the paint, used the F11 at first there too, but found wax is just as good. Nothing I've found works as well and lasts as long on the black trim whether it's plastic or painted.
I get it by the gallon now.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not trying to skip over the paint-correction process. I'm wondering whether, four years later, members of this forum have come to any kind of consensus about whether ceramic coating does a better job than traditional wax when sealing up a clean, corrected paint job.

Reactions: Tray Burge