Narrow 34 / 35 inch tires (new Recon Grapplers) on factory Rubicon rims without spacers?

av8r_bray

I agree with previous recommendations to not run a spacer if possible, but I still want to run Moab rims!... There are some limited options for a narrow 34-35" tire, most notably the new Nitto Recon Grappler thats available in 35x11.5r16 = 34.5x11.4, and in load range D. Seems like a great new tire to run on our 16" rims for a jeep. Anyone run a similar sized tire on the factory Moab rim without spacers? and does it work well?

Reactions: HornedToad
I agree with previous recommendations to not run a spacer if possible, but I still want to run Moab rims!... There are some limited options for a narrow 34-35" tire, most notably the new Nitto Recon Grappler thats available in 35x11.5r16 = 34.5x11.4 an in load range D. Seems like a great new tire to run on our 16" rims for a jeep. Anyone of a similar sized tire on the factory Moab rim without spacers? and does it work well?
edited for talking out of my ass.. don't know enough about the tj moabs

Last edited:
Just a guess but I bet you’d still need to run a spacer. Nothing wrong with that when properly installed.

35 MTRs on stock moabs . - I run a 1.5” spacer, 1.25 wasn’t enough with the Antirock.

C4AEBEC6-AEA8-4C8A-ACB3-1118BF2C6A1C.jpeg

My experience with those wheels involves 255/85/16 tires. They are a bit skinnier and shorter but I had no rubbing. I’d suggest a washer behind the steering stops so you don’t scrub on tight turns.

My only concern with those Nitto tires is the tread pattern. Otherwise I’d consider a set of moabs for my LJ Rubi

Reactions: RubiconRic
My experience with those wheels involves 255/85/16 tires. They are a bit skinnier and shorter but I had no rubbing. I’d suggest a washer behind the steering stops so you don’t scrub on tight turns.

My only concern with those Nitto tires is the tread pattern. Otherwise I’d consider a set of moabs for my LJ Rubi
What is your concern on the recon tread pattern?

A rear spring relocation will fix your clearance in the rear by a ton.

75790B2C-8753-4DD4-B32D-F1FFB8776472.jpeg
That is a photo with stock canyon wheels and 35 12.5s in the rear no spacer.

16431B59-F4D7-4006-B2D7-AB0EEF79E609.jpeg

43D6BF9E-6AF8-497B-A01D-53A25A75CC4E.jpeg

C941E765-48B7-4129-A95A-CA0EDE0ACC8D.jpeg

47AA2A17-A0A1-4840-B9F0-5F268B686551.jpeg

4163D5F4-AEF5-4A48-B014-A5AE4BB2AB40.jpeg

I run Kenda Klever R/T tires in 35x10.5r17. Guessing you don't have 17" rims though, I run them on my JK Moab takeoffs. Maybe check if they have an option in your rim size.

I run Kenda Klever R/T tires in 35x10.5r17. Guessing you don't have 17" rims though, I run them on my JK Moab takeoffs. Maybe check if they have an option in your rim size.

How long have you been running those Klever R/Ts? I have looked at them and it seems the biggest complaint is it sometimes takes a ridiculous amount of weight to balance them.

How long have you been running those Klever R/Ts? I have looked at them and it seems the biggest complaint is it sometimes takes a ridiculous amount of weight to balance them.

I've had them for about 2 years. I am very happy with their on road performance including a California to Florida drive. No more noise than a standard street tire, and no balancing issues on my set. I haven't counted the weights but seems like a normal amount I guess. Can't really attest to their offroad performance yet.

I'm also a fan of tall and skinny tires, would like to hear more of your experience with them. Presently running 17" JK Moabs 265/70/17 Cooper AT's which are to fat and short. The Clever RT comes in Load Range 'D' while all the other skinny 35's are Load Range 'E' or worse.