Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

And back home again. This is what a round trip to Moab looks like for me:

IMG_7427.JPG

It's amazing to me how all the videos or pictures don't do the obstacles justice. Being in the seat is way different than seeing it as a picture or video!

And back home again. This is what a round trip to Moab looks like for me:

View attachment 250031
I didn't check my total gallons used but I was about 12.5 mpg and that was running 80 mph most of the time (70 over the IKE). You better get one of these newer 6.7's for the "savings". My F150 got 13mpg pulling the same trailer but I only drove 65 mph with it.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I'm averaging between 9-10mpg in a Nissan Titan XD. Should've took the F150. We sidetracked to lower Arkansas before we head back to Ohio. We've driven over 3k miles and have another 1k back to Ohio. Good times though. Would've like to wheel with you @NashvilleTJ . Next time.

I'm averaging between 9-10mpg in a Nissan Titan XD. Should've took the F150. We sidetracked to lower Arkansas before we head back to Ohio. We've driven over 3k miles and have another 1k back to Ohio. Good times though. Would've like to wheel with you @NashvilleTJ . Next time.
My GMC Denali with Duramax averaged 11.5 MPG for the 2300 mile trip... with a lot of mountain passes, lots of headwinds, and a slide in truck camper on top of it in addition to the Jeep Trailer behind it.

Diesel is the way to go when hauling/towing, no question.

I have to wonder though, if @NashvilleTJ pissed off the trailer gods somehow? I mean, that's a lot of trailer drama for one trip! Somehow I'm guessing fuel mileage was the last thing on his mind...

My GMC Denali with Duramax averaged 11.5 MPG for the 2300 mile trip... with a lot of mountain passes, lots of headwinds, and a slide in truck camper on top of it in addition to the Jeep Trailer behind it.

I have to wonder though, if @NashvilleTJ pissed off the trailer gods somehow? I mean, that's a lot of trailer drama for one trip! Somehow I'm guessing fuel mileage was the last thing on his mind...
Yeah that was a lot to fail in a short time.

Reactions: Apparition

We got 12.9 on our trip with a ram 2500 diesel. While lower than the eco diesel, 15 mpg, I had before the 2500 was laughing at my jeep/trailer while going up steep hills and the automatic exhaust brake was a dream on long downhill stretches.

I'm sorry I missed you @NashvilleTJ while in Moab. I did get to see your jeep a few times around town and we got a good look at it at the blue pig after a small group of us had dinner there.

I never thought a 35" tire looked tiny until @Midnight LJR parked next to it.
IMG_9566.jpg

Now I've got a SHIT TON more videos to watch. 😁

Wow glad you caught the broken parts on the trailer before it caused any issues.

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition
Jeff,
First - thank you for getting my buddy back to the house from Pritchett. When I finally made it back, I did ask him if he bought you 6 pack, etc... and he said that it never crossed his mind. But I can assure you that he was very appreciative. Possibly we can get together somewhere in TN, AL, or AR to do some wheeling and I will be happy to buy you and Dave a few beers.

Second - Sorry you were not able to finish Pritchett, it was truly a great trail as you are aware. I refer to above for my appreciation.

I will pm you my direct contact info so that we can hopefully get together and I can properly show my appreciation over a cold one.
-Victor

For the other who made the "typical JK owner" statement. If a typical JK owner is someone who is a stand up guy, who is willing to drive 3000 miles in order to provide some extra seats for family and friends to enjoy a bucket list Moab experience, and someone who typically wheels the shit out his JK but had a bit of bad luck on Pritchett. Then yes, he is a typical JK owner. It can be debated whether or not that JK belonged on that trail, but I can tell you first hand that that JK has been through more hard and technical trails than most TJs on this forum. Unfortunately, the JK luck ran out that morning and my buddy didn't listen careful enough because a little red TJ just climbed it and he didn't want to be outdone (competition is good and bad). Fortunately, Jeff and Dave are stand up guys and delivered!

Jeff,
First - thank you for getting my buddy back to the house from Pritchett. When I finally made it back, I did ask him if he bought you 6 pack, etc... and he said that it never crossed his mind. But I can assure you that he was very appreciative. Possibly we can get together somewhere in TN, AL, or AR to do some wheeling and I will be happy to buy you and Dave a few beers.

Second - Sorry you were not able to finish Pritchett, it was truly a great trail as you are aware. I refer to above for my appreciation.

I will pm you my direct contact info so that we can hopefully get together and I can properly show my appreciation over a cold one.
-Victor

For the other who made the "typical JK owner" statement. If a typical JK owner is someone who is a stand up guy, who is willing to drive 3000 miles in order to provide some extra seats for family and friends to enjoy a bucket list Moab experience, and someone who typically wheels the shit out his JK but had a bit of bad luck on Pritchett. Then yes, he is a typical JK owner. It can be debated whether or not that JK belonged on that trail, but I can tell you first hand that that JK has been through more hard and technical trails than most TJs on this forum. Unfortunately, the JK luck ran out that morning and my buddy didn't listen careful enough because a little red TJ just climbed it and he didn't want to be outdone (competition is good and bad). Fortunately, Jeff and Dave are stand up guys and delivered!
Thanks Victor. As I said in my DM my post probably came off more harshly than I intended. Chris did seem like a good guy. As my brother and I discussed, we will certainly remember the details of dragging Chris off of Pritchett longer than if we had gone all the way through. It was a challenge, and fun in its own way. Dave and I have dragged quite a few broken rigs off the trail - it's kinda what we do.

Again, I appreciate the thought, Victor. Wheel together we shall.

Jeff

Last edited:
After the failure of those three shackles on the trailer on the way back from Moab, I thought it best to replace all of them with a heavier version.

First up, pulled off the sissy shackles:

IMG_0001.JPG

The original shackles were made from 3/16" x 1.25" steel. To make the replacements I used 1/4" x 1.5" steel.

IMG_0002.JPG

After cutting eight sections to length on the dry cut saw, I drilled 16 pilot holes, and then 16 9/16" holes on the drill press.

IMG_0004.JPG

Then a little round over work with the flap disk. I deliberately left more meat around each of the holes as that is where the other shackles failed.

IMG_0005.JPG

A quick paint job...

IMG_0006.JPG

And reinstalled.

IMG_0008.JPG

Overall, between the axle failure and the two flats, I'm not happy with how the trailer did on this trip. It's a custom 10,000 pound Kaufman, and this was the fourth time I've made the trip to Moab with no previous problems. Between the rig and the trailer tool box with about half a ton of of spare parts, CO2 tanks, fluids, straps, and the like, I think I may be pushing these 5200 pound axles a bit too close to the capacity limit. I'm giving some thought to going with a larger, 8 lug axle which would also allow me to run higher load rated tires. Or, I could just trade up to a 14,000 pound trailer. Just thinking at this point...

After the failure of those three shackles on the trailer on the way back from Moab, I thought it best to replace all of them with a heavier version.

View attachment 251459

The original shackles were made from 3/16" x 1.25" steel. To make the replacements I used 1/4" x 1.5" steel.

View attachment 251461

After cutting eight sections to length on the dry cut saw, I drilled 16 pilot holes, and then 16 9/16" holes on the drill press.

View attachment 251462

Then a little round over work with the flap disk. I deliberately left more meat around each of the holes as that is where the other shackles failed.

View attachment 251463

A quick paint job...

View attachment 251464

And reinstalled.

View attachment 251465

Overall, between the axle failure and the two flats, I'm not happy with how the trailer did on this trip. It's a custom 10,000 pound Kaufman, and this was the fourth time I've made the trip to Moab with no previous problems. Between the rig and the trailer tool box with about half a ton of of spare parts, CO2 tanks, fluids, straps, and the like, I think I may be pushing these 5200 pound axles a bit too close to the capacity limit. I'm giving some thought to going with a larger, 8 lug axle which would also allow me to run higher load rated tires. Or, I could just trade up to a 14,000 pound trailer. Just thinking at this point...
Could be like me and start looking for a gooseneck trailer that can haul 2 LJ’s ;)

Great job as always Jeff.

I ain't no trailer guru or nothing like that but we'd eat tires and have issues when the trailer behind the semi wasn't setup properly. Nat many companies would spend the funds to have stuff checked or repaired.

Just wondering since if the axles aren't in alignment could it cause any of your issues?

Even if you Jeep is 6K lbs that is roughly 3K in front and 3k in rear?

Just spitballin...

View attachment 251459

View attachment 251461

View attachment 251462

View attachment 251463

A quick paint job...

View attachment 251464

And reinstalled.

View attachment 251465

Jeff just to throw this out there, Dexter 5200, 6000 and 7000 pound axles use the same beams. They just use different springs, hubs (6-7k have a slightly larger outer bearing) and on the 7k slightly more aggressive brake linings. I would look at changing the hubs to 6k as the 8lug hubs would allow higher weight rating of tires and look at doing a HD suspension upgrade kit that gives you bronze bushings, 3/8 thick shackles and greasable bolts. Let me know what number is cast in the equalizer and I can get you some part numbers.

Jeff just to throw this out there, Dexter 5200, 6000 and 7000 pound axles use the same beams. They just use different springs, hubs (6-7k have a slightly larger outer bearing) and on the 7k slightly more aggressive brake linings. I would look at changing the hubs to 6k as the 8lug hubs would allow higher weight rating of tires and look at doing a HD suspension upgrade kit that gives you bronze bushings, 3/8 thick shackles and greasable bolts. Let me know what number is cast in the equalizer and I can get you some part numbers.

Blakjack you are the MAN... Always spot on with the helpful info. We do appreciate it.

We got 12.9 on our trip with a ram 2500 diesel. While lower than the eco diesel, 15 mpg, I had before the 2500 was laughing at my jeep/trailer while going up steep hills and the automatic exhaust brake was a dream on long downhill stretches.

I'm sorry I missed you @NashvilleTJ while in Moab. I did get to see your jeep a few times around town and we got a good look at it at the blue pig after a small group of us had dinner there.

I never thought a 35" tire looked tiny until @Midnight LJR parked next to it. View attachment 250036
What are your axles WMS? @NashvilleTJ

Thanks Blackjack, sounds like a good idea. I’ll see if I can pull the number. Do the larger hubs use the same spindle? I’m also not sure what axles are under there, I’ll have to check that as well.

Good insight on the bushings - when I pulled it apart today they were worn through on one side.

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman