Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

The final bit of wiring required was to change how the override switch works. On the old setup, the fan was operated by a relay in the PDC which was triggered by a ground from either the temp switch on the radiator or from the override switch on the dash. The Spal uses a 12v circuit to engage the fan to full speed. So, it was a matter of rewiring the dash switch to send 12v to the fan controller instead of completing a ground circuit.

Jeep - SPal Fan - 10-13-2021 (28).JPG

And after buttoning that up, my simple quick project which took three days was complete.

tango_face_plain.png

Tomorrow I will fire it up - still without the thermostat - and see if it makes a difference.

Fun project anyway.

Well I've now spent several days running the Jeep with the new Spal fan configuration, and it is working great. I first ran it without the thermostat to compare it to what was happening before.

With the Derale and no thermostat, it was running in the 200-203 degree neighborhood - exactly as it did with the 180 degree thermostat installed.

The Spal fan is full variable speed, coming on slow at 160 degrees, and winding up to full speed turbo-jet mode at 185. With the Spal in auto mode and no thermostat, it was running at about 172-175. At this temp the fan sounds like it is running at about 50%. When I hit the fan override switch to run at constant 100% - the temps were in the 165-168 range. Perfect.

Finally I installed the new 180 degree thermostat - and the mill runs consistently at 182-185. With the fan on blast it runs right at 180.

It seems to have resolved my problem. I do think that the larger shroud is helping as well.

Jeep - Spal Fan - 10-13-2021 (27).JPG

That is great news. Between the new tunes from Ryan and the new fan it sounds like you have got things figured out.

Thanks for the fan info. I'll be following along in your footsteps for my V8 cooling
I'm really happy with that big Spal so far. Much more powerful than the Derale, and a bit quieter as well. I'm also really loving the variable speed - makes it even more quiet as the Derale only ran at full speed. This one has not had to do that at all unless I've hit the override.

I'm really happy with that big Spal so far. Much more powerful than the Derale, and a bit quieter as well. I'm also really loving the variable speed - makes it even more quiet as the Derale only ran at full speed. This one has not had to do that at all unless I've hit the override.
I want one too!

Reactions: Wildman
After reading about this great fan I'll be keeping it in mind once I have my Jeep running. The Black Magic fan I have now worked OK with my 5.2 but I've heard that the 5.9 is a lot harder to keep cool so I might be having to upgrade and if I do I'll keep this fan in mind.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I knocked off a quick little project on the rig today. I've got a few permanently installed devices which get power from USB, but I hate those wires all routing down to the port on the front of the dash. So I picked up a USB power port, and bent up a little aluminum bracket to mount it behind the dash panel under the steering column.

IMG_0003.JPG

Outta sight, still easy to access, and no more USB cables in view.

This is amazing. I’m stunned by your brilliant work. So clean. Attention to detail is top notch! Kinda depressing at the same time. All I can do is bolt stuff on. Occasionally I get it right.

This is amazing. I’m stunned by your brilliant work. So clean. Attention to detail is top notch! Kinda depressing at the same time. All I can do is bolt stuff on. Occasionally I get it right.
Thanks JMT - you are too kind.

Sometimes OCD works in one’s favor…

;)

Thanks JMT - you are too kind.

Sometimes OCD works in one’s favor…

;)
That fan shroud is a work of art. Once I installed an electric fan on an XJ. It could function as a pusher or a puller. Instructions said to just reverse the polarity.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
That fan shroud is a work of art. Once I installed an electric fan on an XJ. It could function as a pusher or a puller. Instructions said to just reverse the polarity.

Not the same with a brushless electric DC motor.....
Basic electricity stuff here.... And you're the college edumecated dude :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition
Not the same with a brushless electric DC motor.....
Basic electricity stuff here.... And you're the college edumecated dude :rolleyes:
They don’t teach you practical stuff in college. Nowadays they rant about masks in English class rather than teaching people how to write. They polarize people by positing critical race theory. It’s all just political garbage. Electric? Practical and real. I can wire up a head unit. After that I’m lost!

They don’t teach you practical stuff in college. Nowadays they rant about masks in English class rather than teaching people how to write. They polarize people by positing critical race theory. It’s all just political garbage. Electric? Practical and real. I can wire up a head unit. After that I’m lost!
You should go back for an engineering degree. Still lots of theory...but at least a little more practical application stuff...Oh, and stay away from any University that offers more than the required number of Fine arts degrees. They have their place...but STEM is what we need to be teaching people.

Eye tesded owt ov Inglish een cowlage

You should go back for an engineering degree. Still lots of theory...but at least a little more practical application stuff...Oh, and stay away from any University that offers more than the required number of Fine arts degrees. They have their place...but STEM is what we need to be teaching people.
I spent too long in the university. 188 hours just to get my bachelors degree cuz I didn’t know what I wanted to do. Then to punish myself I went back and took 88 more hours to get really edumecated. Now my second job is adjunct faculty teaching one semester a year at a graduate school. Engineering would be interesting though. Math was my forte but never went past Cal 2 and I’d need a big refresher. Homeschooling the kids keeps me around education constantly. I’m usually trying to get away from everything academic (see my bolt on build thread 🤣). I hate grading papers. I apologize for clogging up your build thread @NashvilleTJ