Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

Really depends on your style which is often dictated by terrain.

Once you're in the 40” tire territory or have big power a 40 spline or even bigger is a go-to IMO.

ff, not semi float for 37’s+

I can agree with this since I've managed to break my HP60.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
any opinion on monster unit bearings vs hubs?
Regardless of size, a one ton unit bearing is drastically cheaper than a one ton hub, spindle, and bearings.

Not to mention, often, a bent spindle will eat the axle as well, adding even more cost.

Plus, some unit bearings are completely rebuildable, which has a significant up-front cost, but it’s well worth it when it can be rebuilt and not have to be replaced as a whole like the OEM unit bearings.

Regardless of size, a one ton unit bearing is drastically cheaper than a one ton hub, spindle, and bearings.

Not to mention, often, a bent spindle will eat the axle as well, adding even more cost.

Plus, some unit bearings are completely rebuildable, which has a significant up-front cost, but it’s well worth it when it can be rebuilt and not have to be replaced as a whole like the OEM unit bearings.
I‘ve always thought of the unit bearing being weaker than a similar sized hub and spindle setup - but I have absolutely no basis for that belief. Any real difference there?

Reactions: Wildman
they are puttin the cups on the ends of 14B and D80 rear ends.
beside the dam things runnin 500$ for a retapped 8x6.5......... they take 40 spline shafts and have the same warranty as hubs from the builders i've peeked. or lets say the option doesn't change the warranty.

I‘ve always thought of the unit bearing being weaker than a similar sized hub and spindle setup - but I have absolutely no basis for that belief. Any real difference there?
Absolutely the opposite.

The ultra4 and rock bouncing world has been using them and beating the crap out of them.

The Ford 04’s are small in comparison to the 05+ Ford unit bearings.

Choccolocco Mtn Trip-
Right now the plan is to go to Chocco on Friday, July 23. We are going to arrive Thurs night (already coordinated having them open the gate early for us on thurs evening so we can camp Thurs night). Wheeling Chocco all day Friday and then on saturday morning, we are going head down to Anniston, AL to ride mt bikes at coldwater, then we may hit some more trails at chocco sat afternoon.

Me and my buddy with a Samurai on 37s who has a GAF problem, so it could get interesting. I know Friday may be tough but join us if you are able.

Axle Question-
Do you have a quick reference page that shows the different axle pumpkins/housing sizes? I want to compare clearance between them. I know a page has to exist but my google ability is not working today.

Choccolocco Mtn Trip-
Right now the plan is to go to Chocco on Friday, July 23. We are going to arrive Thurs night (already coordinated having them open the gate early for us on thurs evening so we can camp Thurs night). Wheeling Chocco all day Friday and then on saturday morning, we are going head down to Anniston, AL to ride mt bikes at coldwater, then we may hit some more trails at chocco sat afternoon.

Me and my buddy with a Samurai on 37s who has a GAF problem, so it could get interesting. I know Friday may be tough but join us if you are able.

Axle Question-
Do you have a quick reference page that shows the different axle pumpkins/housing sizes? I want to compare clearance between them. I know a page has to exist but my google ability is not working today.
Thanks for the invite, @gasiorv. I won’t be able to make it down as I’ll be off on a motorcycle trip the last two weeks in July (still dirt - an off-road adventure bike trip, so don’t be hatin’ 🙂). You will have a blast. Chocco is a cool little park.

I don’t have a punkin’ reference either, but I have seen them.

Reactions: gasiorv
I believe that historically this was true. When looking at the early unit bearings, they were narrow and did not do well with low backspacing. The spindle + bearing setups added some spacing between the bearings, resulting in a bit less leverage on the rollers and a longer service life.

Then the 05+ Super Duty came around and people have had a hard time convincing themselves that the tradition spindle + bearing setup was worthwhile. The ease of changing out a SD unit bearing, plus the fact that they're just monstrous and relatively inexpensive has made their use skyrocket. You see them on many KOH and rock-bouncer rigs for a reason...

i'm just startin to try and figure out these bigger axles.
from what i think i understand, the 60's need at least 35 spline axles to run 37's. to ? and at what wheel size do 40 spline come into play?
same with semi float vs FF, maybe it'd handle 37's but i'm not sure to trust it for anything larger. once i decide to get to 39's it really has to be FF, i think.

and whats the pig (14 bolt) capable of in stock form? more than a 60. kinda leanin toward a 60 up front and a pig pushin. the difference between a 35 and a 39-40 is a tad more than whats lost in diff clearance even if the pigs not shaved, no?
There are plenty of guys around here in AZ with HEAVY JKU's (I call them Trail Burrits) running around on sticky 40"s (many with full time autolockers). Most of the guys I know run 05+ SD axles with the factory 35/35 spline F450 1480-series axle shafts and Reid knuckles. I don't see too many issues with them and most of these rigs are pushing 5500 lbs, and a handful run Hemi/LS swapped motors.

We see a lot of shaved 14 bolts on the trails here, though with the popularity of 40"+ sized tires (42"s are almost the norm now for JKU-on-ton builds), I see that most folks are going away from the traditional "cut + plate" style shaves and are now just doing the "no-cut" style.

My bud Eric has busted a traditional cut+plate style shaved 14B by whacking the bottom onto a rock and pushing the plate into the ring gear. My other bud, also named Erik (but with a K), did the same on his cut+plate shaved 14B (not as bad, but enough to cause a considerable leak). They are now both running "13 Bolt" covers (I can't remember the MFG) that cuts down the bottom lip of the housing. It only gives 1" more ground clearance (or very close, I would have to ask them again what clearance they actually got) but is a bit stronger than the traditional shaves and the ~1/2 to 1" lost ground clearance is easily made up by going from 40" —> 42" tires.

There are plenty of guys around here in AZ with HEAVY JKU's (I call them Trail Burrits) running around on sticky 40"s (many with full time autolockers). Most of the guys I know run 05+ SD axles with the factory 35/35 spline F450 1480-series axle shafts and Reid knuckles. I don't see too many issues with them and most of these rigs are pushing 5500 lbs, and a handful run Hemi/LS swapped motors.

We see a lot of shaved 14 bolts on the trails here, though with the popularity of 40"+ sized tires (42"s are almost the norm now for JKU-on-ton builds), I see that most folks are going away from the traditional "cut + plate" style shaves and are now just doing the "no-cut" style.

My bud Eric has busted a traditional cut+plate style shaved 14B by whacking the bottom onto a rock and pushing the plate into the ring gear. My other bud, also named Erik (but with a K), did the same on his cut+plate shaved 14B (not as bad, but enough to cause a considerable leak). They are now both running "13 Bolt" covers (I can't remember the MFG) that cuts down the bottom lip of the housing. It only gives 1" more ground clearance (or very close, I would have to ask them again what clearance they actually got) but is a bit stronger than the traditional shaves and the ~1/2 to 1" lost ground clearance is easily made up by going from 40" —> 42" tires.
Thanks PC. That’s good info as I’m starting to do some searching on building a new front axle. Are the ’05+ Ford SD’s still using the kingpin setup?

I’ve also wondered about the bottom of that shave caving in and contacting the ring gear. The Ballistic Fab kit I used has a 1/2” plate, so we’ll see how well it holds up.

Reactions: pc1p
Thanks PC. That’s good info as I’m starting to do some searching on building a new front axle. Are the ’05+ Ford SD’s still using the kingpin setup?

I’ve also wondered about the bottom of that shave caving in and contacting the ring gear. The Ballistic Fab kit I used has a 1/2” plate, so we’ll see how well it holds up.

No the SD's are ball joint axles but the size of the BJ is large enough that I don't think on a Jeep even with 42" tires that it's an issue but I'll let those with more in the know confirm or unconfirm that information. But from what I remember reading that they aren't an issue.

BJ delete that shit! Stronger knuckles apparently on the SD stuff. Unit bearings, not rebuildable hubs. MY KP is plenty strong for the abuse it will get on a light jeep

the worst thing about that SD 05^ is that monstrous link knob hangin right off that diff.

i haven't looked for a how to remove them, the series b4 had that nice little leaf perch that was easily concealed in a truss, but like mentioned not the same big UB.

have we had a long term report on those BJ delete's? i see a few tried um but haven't noticed any recent reports. IIRC Dave at JW just put a set in something not that long ago.

the worst thing about that SD 05^ is that monstrous link knob hangin right off that diff.

i haven't looked for a how to remove them, the series b4 had that nice little leaf perch that was easily concealed in a truss, but like mentioned not the same big UB.

have we had a long term report on those BJ delete's? i see a few tried um but haven't noticed any recent reports. IIRC Dave at JW just put a set in something not that long ago.
I am a member of a BJ delete group and 1ton jeep group, but havn't seen much for the SD axles. Lots of D44s, D30s getting it done. Maybe the BJ isn't that much of an issue on the SD axles?

Last summer I did the Colorado Back Country Discovery Route with a few buddies on Adventure Bikes. It was an epic route from Wyoming to New Mexico, and went through some of the most beautiful back country I've ever seen. We did something like a dozen high passes, about half over 12,000 ft. I've always wanted to show my wife some of that trip - but didn't want to drag the big Jeep and the trailer out there to do so.

So I picked up a Grand Cherokee Overland to make the trip, which we did over the past two weeks. We stayed in Keystone, Lake City, Ouray, and Telluride. We were able to do several passes in the GC: Cottonwood (yes, that one is paved), Cumberland, Cinnamon, and Ophir. Headed toward California, but it was still closed for snow.

The first pass was an easy one - Loveland Pass. It was just along the way to the place we stayed in Keystone.

IMG_7766.JPG

Then on to Cottonwood Pass at over 12,000 ft. It was paved just a few years ago, but the scenery is fantastic.

IMG_7833.JPG

IMG_7824.JPG

Then we turned onto the dirt about half way down the back side of Cottonwood, and headed toward Cumberland Pass. There was still a bunch of snow at the top, and just before the summit the road was half way covered with just enough room to get the GC by - of course on the cliff side. It was quite hairy, and I have to admit the pucker factor was up there.

This is not the hairy part, but just before coming up to it. You can see a bit of the drop-off to the right. Just around this corner the road was more than half way covered with several feet of snow.

IMG_7857.JPG

And at the top:

IMG_7861.JPG