Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

My boys had a couple of big nitro trucks years ago. I can't believe how much more power this thing has. It’s a blast - and not finicky at all like the nitros. The batteries don’t like the cold though…

Edit: Maybe I need to post this over in App’s EV thread…🙂

Oh, yeah, hands down the electric is WAY faster and more responsive... but, for the pure tinkerer the nitro adds a level of satisfaction to the hobby. I have a Slash 4x4 and a TRX-4 trail crawler.. too. I might start getting back into it now that I work 7 days and then have 7 days off...

Have you looked into a “junk yard” O.E. Air box that may fit your available space. This way you could use a off the shelf filter.

Im running one from a Oldsmobile v6. Original application displacement was close to 4.0. Box is much smaller and the filter is $14 at Autozone.

Reactions: John Cooper
Have you looked into a “junk yard” O.E. Air box that may fit your available space. This way you could use a off the shelf filter.

Im running one from a Oldsmobile v6. Original application displacement was close to 4.0. Box is much smaller and the filter is $14 at Autozone.

No, I would not go that route. If I can’t find a dry filter which fits I will continue to run the Spectre oiled filter. It works fine, just a bit more maintenance.

That said, the shorter aFE filter I just ordered looks promising.

Reactions: reddvltj and Fluxor
Oh, yeah, hands down the electric is WAY faster and more responsive... but, for the pure tinkerer the nitro adds a level of satisfaction to the hobby. I have a Slash 4x4 and a TRX-4 trail crawler.. too. I might start getting back into it now that I work 7 days and then have 7 days off...

I just picked up a TRX-4 to play with. Took all of 5 minutes for my 5 yr old to steal it away and crawl an ‘obstacle’ (ledge to porch) that she watched me fail a couple times. She was jumping up and down, so excited to tell momma that drives better than dad. Guess I’ll be buying a second one and looking for controller better fit for little hands.

I just picked up a TRX-4 to play with. Took all of 5 minutes for my 5 yr old to steal it away and crawl an ‘obstacle’ (ledge to porch) that she watched me fail a couple times. She was jumping up and down, so excited to tell momma that drives better than dad. Guess I’ll be buying a second one and looking for controller better fit for little hands.

There aren't a whole lot of controllers that are geard towards small hands. but there are a few. The biggest problem is they are generally higher dollar multi function controllers, usually with LCD screens that don't like being dropped...

Something like this might be worth looking into...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1205961000/traxxas-child-trigger-adapter-manual

I’ll just leave this here…

IMG_9392.jpeg

Thanks to a legit tip from our Purple TJ Friend ( @PurpleTJAZ ), this morning I saved some weight and storage space in the rig.

I used to carry this monster tool kit for replacing a valve stem without having to break the bead. It works - but is a pain in the ass to use. And it weighs 10 oz!!

IMG_9408.JPG

Purple posted these over on another thread, so I picked up a set. They appear to be much easier to use, and would be much, much faster to install. The best part is that they take up 90% less space in the rig, and weigh in at 2.5 oz!! So I'm down 7.5 oz! Win win.

IMG_9410.JPG

For anyone interested, here they are:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y1TQZK4?tag=wranglerorg-20

Thanks again, Purple.

Now the rest of you bastaads can stop teasing me about my weight! :D

And maybe now I can make it out of Devil's Hot Tub.... :rolleyes:

I also modified my Hi-Lift base to use with the bottle jack. All in, it weights 17 pounds - so a 12 pound weight savings over the Hi-Lift. I'm happy how it turned out.

IMG_9518.JPG

Gave it a test run under the rig, and it works well.

IMG_9508.JPG

Man, one snowstorm and I'm a rusty mess.

In other news, these cables finally showed up today from Advance - ordered back before Thanksgiving. I'm glad I had spares available...

IMG_9522.JPG

I have a couple of woodworking projects coming up. I'm building a pair of seat risers for my good offshore fishing buddy up on Maryland's Eastern Shore. His hobby is rebuilding Boston Whalers, and on his current project he needs to raise the front seat to allow placement of a larger cooler underneath. A pair of them - one for each side. They have to be in two pieces for installation. Mahagony, and lots of stainless threaded inserts. Design looks cool, anyway.

Boston Whaler Seat Riser - Split Xray.jpg

I'm also designing and building a large built-in for one of my sons and his wife.

Brady and Rachel Built In - 1-20-2024 - Version 3 - Narrow Face Frame.jpg

Always busy here in Nashville :oops:

And now for the final act in Project Bottle Jack. In order to actually achieve my 12 pound weight savings, I actually have to get the High-Life off the rig. And with no jack, these mounts a kind of useless. So out comes the death wheel...

IMG_9527.JPG

...and bye, bye High-Lift.

IMG_9529.JPG

For anyone not having seen my tire carrier in action, here is my tire carrier in action...

IMG_9531.JPG

The ghost of Devil's Hot Tub still pokes me in the eye every once in a while. While working on the tire carrier I notice this:

IMG_9536.JPG

Yup - another little tweak from the roll. The carrier is straight, but the mounting ring for the spare twisted just a bit. You can see it here:

IMG_9528.JPG

I used a couple of methods to get it back into shape, here the porta power, and I also used (you guessed it) the new bottle jack since it was short enough to get in there. I was not able to get it back to perfect, but it's close enough that it is no longer noticeable (unless you are me, of course...:rolleyes:)

IMG_9538.JPG