Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

I still go to Hot Springs at least twice a year, you need to meet me at one of the MSJ events there, so much fun and great people!

When's your next Moab trip? Doing ESJ '21?
That’s the plan. I’ve now missed it for 2 years in a row, so I’m hoping it works out next year.

And now on to current projects.

I saw Nate on Dirt Lifestyle put these Swag Off Road body mounts on his Diesel TJ, and it looked like a cool little fab project. My mounts are a bit beat up, and since I run a body lift I can mount these up a bit higher on the frame for a little extra clearance - so two birds with one stone. Here's the pile of steel...

IMG_6221.JPG

The raw body mounts I got from Swag are great pieces. The laser cutting and the bends are so precise that each piece was exactly like the other, and matched up perfectly. Man, I need me a laser cutter....

IMG_0002.JPG

And after about 30 minutes under the helmet, all the mounts are assembled and ready to go.

IMG_0009.JPG

Then I took a few minutes and cleaned them up with a scotch bright disk to get them ready for paint.

IMG_0011.JPG

Man, ya gotta' love open corner welding.

IMG_0013.JPG

Sometime over the next several weeks I'll get around to the messy part of cutting off the old mounts and getting these in place. For now, I've enjoyed the easy part...

Such a nice build. What I like most about it is the fact that you've owned it from day one. Only a handful of folks here can claim that. Work is tastefully and artfully executed, with each modification solving a particular problem. Nicely done! (y)

Such a nice build. What I like most about it is the fact that you've owned it from day one. Only a handful of folks here can claim that. Work is tastefully and artfully executed, with each modification solving a particular problem. Nicely done! (y)
I appreciate the kind words. It has been a nice journey.

Reactions: Irun and Wildman
I started in on the nasty part of the body mount project. Since I was planning to use the plasma cutter, I needed to do a quick bit of maintenance first. A while ago I installed a Magswitch magnetic ground clamp on the welder and really liked it, so I wanted to replace the old clamp style ground on the plasma. Here it is:

Jeep Body Mounts (19).JPG

To do so, I needed to throw a cable eye lug on the ground cable. I keep a set of cable lugs on hand, so it was just a matter of pulling out a 2 gauge.

Jeep Body Mounts (20).JPG

Then the hydraulic crimper made short work of the lug.

Jeep Body Mounts (22).JPG
Jeep Body Mounts (23).JPG

And after a bit of heavy shrink wrap, here is the finished product:

Jeep Body Mounts (24).JPG

These things work so much better than clamps in almost all circumstances, especially in places where a clamp will not work at all.

Jeep Body Mounts (28).JPG

Now I'm all set.

My plan was to replace the mounts one at a time, so I started with the middle passenger side. Always a good day in the shop when the plasma cutter comes out.
Jeep Body Mounts (32).JPG

In way less than a minute, the first mount was gone.

Jeep Body Mounts (35).JPG

Jeep Body Mounts (39).JPG

Then is was just a quick pass with a 24 grit flap disk - and it's like it was never there...

Jeep Body Mounts 2 (6).JPG

Last edited:
Next, I bolted the mount in place, and tacked it in after checking my measurements. Since I was eliminating a 1" body lift puck from each mount, I raised the top of each mount 1" from it's original location. Then I finish welded the mount on the sides and the bottom. I was also able to run a bead on the inside of the mount at the top of the frame.

Jeep Body Mounts (43).JPG

And then I repeated the process for the forward and rear mount, and after a few hours of work the passenger side is done.

Jeep Body Mounts (47).JPG

Tomorrow I'll tackle the driver‘s side. That will be a little more involved as I have fuel, brake and air lines with which to contend.

Last edited:
DOOOOD. you just sold me on plasma lol. Are you very experienced with it? Wondering if you just made it look easy or if its really that easy.

Reactions: Wildman