Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

Since I know there are a few woodworkers out there watching, I thought I’d post a current project. It’s a cherry sofa table, and a match to a few other pieces I’ve done for our family room. It will get a hand rubbed oil finish.

B6749873-A19B-4550-A9EF-7CB716E01B21.jpeg

All the joinery is dovetail, except for the lower shelf which is a floating dado to allow for wood movement.

Since I know there are a few woodworkers out there watching, I thought I’d post a current project. It’s a cherry sofa table, and a match to a few other pieces I’ve done for our family room. It will get a hand rubbed oil finish.

View attachment 312569

All the joinery is dovetail, except for the lower shelf which is a floating dado to allow for wood movement.
Did you do the engraving by hand, or by router? Impressive.

Reactions: DuncLJ
Thanks Mike. The carved fans are all hand work. When I build furniture, I like to do some hand work like this to make it a bit unique.
I've done a fair bit of furniture, but nothing with any hand carving. We had one project in high school shop that we carved by hand, with "scoops" that we made ourselves.

It's been a while since I've scratched the furniture itch. All of my wood working lately has been utility grade. I'm thinking on different things to put into the motorhome though...

Reactions: NashvilleTJ

View attachment 312569

Looks great! It’s important to hand rub your wood.

Really nice! Careful though, its hard to get blood out of the wood🤣
Oh yeah. I posted that picture of the unfinished carving because there is blood on the wood in the upper right corner. You definitely don’t want to let it soak in…

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman
A quick project for the rig today. I picked up @Claytone's LED backup light set recently, and took a few minutes today to get them installed.

Nice work Clay - very well done.

IMG_0174.JPG

Popping them in took only a few minutes per side. To properly locate the mounting holes in the separation plate, Claytone was thoughtful enough to drop a proper sized nail in the package to use as a transfer punch - but I just used an actual transfer punch.

IMG_0178.JPG

Drilled the holes and tightened down the screws...

IMG_0176.JPG

...removed the original backup bulb, plugged the unit in, slid the separation plate back into the light housing...

IMG_0179.JPG

...reinstalled the lens...

IMG_0180.JPG

...and Boom!

IMG_0181.JPG

I think it took me longer to make this post then to complete the project. A nice upgrade for a reasonable cost.

Took a run down to Hawk Pride yesterday to wheel with Victor (@gasiorv) and Brian (@Brianj5600 - sometimes known as Andy - at least in my mind :)).

My buddy Chris also met us down there in his bad-assed stretched YJ.

For anyone who wheels with me, be aware that this is what happens when I'm spotting for you:

In my defense, I said "bump it," not "flop it."

We pounded the rigs pretty hard, and here is the damage report. Trashed the top and the door surround while using a tree for a pivot point:

IMG_0198.JPG

And also lost a mirror...

IMG_0200.JPG

Also a few more deep dents in the armor, and a little bit of body damage, so all in all a great day of wheelin' in perfect weather.

Fortunately, I have a spare door surround:

IMG_0197.JPG

...and a spare old top which will hold me over until I can find a new replacement. The section of the main top which was damaged is in fine condition on this old top,

IMG_0203.JPG

So no harm, no foul.

Also had a cooling fan power wire come loose and get cut by the belt, causing an overheat and requiring a quick trail repair. I'll pull it all back apart for a permanent repair when I get the chance.

And one more problem which started yesterday as well, and I'm hoping for some insight.

I'm suddenly having trouble starting the rig. What happens is on the first attempt, I will turn over for 5 seconds or so and it does not start. I hit it again and it starts right up, and then runs fine.

My buddy Chris said maybe a crankshaft position sensor. Anyone have any ideas where to look?

Thanks in advance.

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition
Took a run down to Hawk Pride yesterday to wheel with Victor (@gasiorv) and Brian (@Brianj5600 - sometimes known as Andy - at least in my mind :)).

My buddy Chris also met us down there in his bad-assed stretched YJ.

For anyone who wheels with me, be aware that this is what happens when I'm spotting for you:

In my defense, I said "bump it," not "flop it."

We pounded the rigs pretty hard, and here is the damage report. Trashed the top and the door surround while using a tree for a pivot point:

Damn I'll try to remember that if we ever get a chance to wheel together.

Does look like you had some fun.

And one more problem which started yesterday as well, and I'm hoping for some insight.

I'm suddenly having trouble starting the rig. What happens is on the first attempt, I will turn over for 5 seconds or so and it does not start. I hit it again and it starts right up, and then runs fine.

My buddy Chris said maybe a crankshaft position sensor. Anyone have any ideas where to look?

Thanks in advance.

Have you checked your fuel pressure?

Cycle the key a few times if you haven't before you start. That will suggest fuel pressure if it solves the problem. I've heard of that happening when the ignition switch starts to fail although very often the Jeep will just "catch" as you let off the key when the ignition switch is on the way out.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
ya i have to cycle the key 1-2x if it's been sitting for more than a wk. good a place to start as any to eliminate suspects.

Damn I'll try to remember that if we ever get a chance to wheel together.

Does look like you had some fun.

Have you checked your fuel pressure?
Come on out east once you get yours back on the trail!

Haven’t made it to hawk pride yet. Heard good things.

Reactions: Wildman