Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

How long have you hung the full doors? I was doing that for a bit but read that some people have seen stress cracks around the window frame and stopped (well, mostly since it's winter and they're on :p )
I've always heard that as well. I generally only run the half doors when I wheel, so the full doors don't spend much time hanging up there.

That said - I don't worry about it much. I've been hanging them up there periodically over the past 17 years, and I've had no issues.

How long have you hung the full doors? I was doing that for a bit but read that some people have seen stress cracks around the window frame and stopped (well, mostly since it's winter and they're on :p )
IMG_20161010_121301429.jpg

I've dropped this pic on the forum a few times - cracks at the window frame is a thing. This pic is a few years old and deserves an update. Cracks do happen.

To be fair, the wear and tear that more likely caused this crack was my time living in an apartment and lugging these up to the second floor by throwing the window frame over my shoulder... and less just hanging them by the frame.

Still - be vigilant.

what yoke you runnin on the rear axle? i wanna pair it up with what i put on that 205. the 1310 seems a tad small but the 1350 losses 10* of range. i was thinkin about 1410's, that would have a tad more range than the 1310 IIRC. not that it's needed but choking the range certainly isn't desired

what yoke you runnin on the rear axle? i wanna pair it up with what i put on that 205. the 1310 seems a tad small but the 1350 losses 10* of range. i was thinkin about 1410's, that would have a tad more range than the 1310 IIRC. not that it's needed but choking the range certainly isn't desired
1350's everywhere. I don't have a range issue with the length of my driveline, even with the low pinion. I considered 1410's, but I'm not a fan of the straps, and just did not need the range. But if I needed the range, I would definitely have run the 1410's.

1350's everywhere. I don't have a range issue with the length of my driveline, even with the low pinion. I considered 1410's, but I'm not a fan of the straps, and just did not need the range. But if I needed the range, I would definitely have run the 1410's.

I have 1350's on mine also all the way around. I was told that I should run them due to the crawl ratio's of the STaK's. And I've never had any issues either.

Reactions: someguysjeep
but I'm not a fan of the straps
ya i read about this, the 205 has a U bolt option from a couple vendors, haven't got around to the 14 yet.

i did figure out what that odd ring thing behind the hub was. apparently is was a 2part seal that had come apart on both sides. i was considering opting for the National 1pc w/double lip, so it can't happen again.

what your rear shaft length?
i probably don't have an issue either.

found another 14B housing only for 100$, gettin so bored i want to grab it and try a chop and flop to get the tubes right to work up front. i need some ADD meds.
If memory serves, it's about 32 inches.

ya i read about this, the 205 has a U bolt option from a couple vendors, haven't got around to the 14 yet.

i did figure out what that odd ring thing behind the hub was. apparently is was a 2part seal that had come apart on both sides. i was considering opting for the National 1pc w/double lip, so it can't happen again.
I used the one piece seal as well. It worked fine.

and 1 last dumb question if you don't mind, please.

seen some debate over to grease the hub bearings at assembly or don't bother they should seep oil from the diff
some said they don't seep much so use grease but be sure it's compatible with the diff fluid. while others say any grease is a contaminant. any thoughts?

thanks for the help.

seen some debate over to grease the hub bearings at assembly or don't bother they should seep oil from the diff
some said they don't seep much so use grease but be sure it's compatible with the diff fluid. while others say any grease is a contaminant. any thoughts?

thanks for the help.
Not dumb at all - in fact getting asked anything makes me feel smart…🙂

I’ve always put a little oil on those at assembly, just to avoid a dry start. But I’ve never used grease on that type of bearing as they are lubricated with the diff oil. My understanding anyway - hopefully an actual smart guy chimes in…

thanks for the help.

I use to think this way and never greased the bearings either until a motorhome I'd done burned up the NEW bearings I'd installed. Like Jeff I'd pour a little oil over them and call it good. So my shop manager printed me off a page of the service manual for a D80 and it said that the bearings were to be greased. So I would look for a service manual for the 14B and check it.

Are you going to run a double cardan?

thanks for the help.
I do not go full pack on them but I do grease them so as to buy time for oil to make it to the hub. Some will fill the diff and then jack each side up to let oil run to the hub. Just do not want to take off with them dry.

I use to think this way and never greased the bearings either until a motorhome I'd done burned up the NEW bearings I'd installed. Like Jeff I'd pour a little oil over them and call it good. So my shop manager printed me off a page of the service manual for a D80 and it said that the bearings were to be greased. So I would look for a service manual for the 14B and check it.
Interesting, and good to know. It occurs to me that I’m glad I didn’t install my 14 bolt under a motorhome…

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman

I do not go full pack on them but I do grease them so as to buy time for oil to make it to the hub. Some will fill the diff and then jack each side up to let oil run to the hub. Just do not want to take off with them dry.
I knew an actual smart guy would chime in…

Reactions: Wildman
thats what i had figured to keep the pinion rotated up.
Some will fill the diff and then jack each side up to let oil run to the hub. Just do not want to take off with them dry.
i imagine the amount of axle cycling once install has begun might do a fair job of that.

thats what i had figured to keep the pinion rotated up.

i imagine the amount of axle cycling once install has begun might do a fair job of that.
With a double cardan 1410 is not necessary as the pinion angle stays pretty constant.

Yeah if you have oil in it and cycle it you are fine.