Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

Finished up the Toy Boxes for the new Grand Kids with a week to spare...

IMG_3212.JPG

Hit Hawk Pride Offroad Park in Alabama on Saturday with Victor (@gasiorv) and Brian (@Brianj5600). Victor posted a summary of the trip in this thread:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/hawk-pride-12-17-22-trying-to-find-traction-the-sequel.67252/

But just to keep my build thread up to date, I'll post a few videos here as well.

Great day, but quite slippery after a bunch of rain over the previous few weeks. The weather was perfect on Saturday - 40's and bright sunshine.

This clip definitely contains the quote of the day...

And I call this one, "Oh, how the mighty have fallen..." Crazy slippery.

As usual, I was beating on the rig pretty hard on Saturday. And when you wheel hard, you need to expect carnage. This is my damage for the day:

IMG_3307.JPG

Today I did a little security enhancement to the trailer tongue lock.

Notice that the Bolt Lock extends out past its containment sleeve by about 3/4". You may recall that when I built this thing, I was concerned that if you cut the Bolt Lock at that point it may fail. I contacted Bolt and asked if that was the case. One of their engineers finally got back to me and said, "Yeah, cut the end of the lock off and the guts fall out, allowing the lock to be removed."

Trailer Tongue Lock - 10-29-2022 (126) 2.jpg

So once again I am lying awake at night waiting for the trailer to be stolen... ;)

Since I need all the sleep I can get, I came up with a solution - simply extend the sleeve. So first off comes the paint, and beveled the end of the sleeve:

Trailer Tongue Lock - 10-29-2022 (127).JPG

Cut and beveled a 3/4" piece of 2" x .180 wall tube...

Trailer Tongue Lock - 10-29-2022 (131).JPG

Tacked and welded it into place...

Trailer Tongue Lock - 10-29-2022 (134).JPG

And after hitting it with a flap disc - it's like it was there all along:

Trailer Tongue Lock - 10-29-2022 (137).JPG

I may be a hack welder, but I am a world class grinder. :)

One issue I had was that the weather cap will not fit down into the sleeve.

Trailer Tongue Lock - 10-29-2022 (129).JPG

So I had to cut the cover off to allow the lock to slide all the way into the sleeve:

Trailer Tongue Lock - 10-29-2022 (140).JPG

Still wanting to maintain weather protection, I looked for a different solution and found these 2" ID tube sleeves from McMaster-Carr:

Trailer Tongue Lock - 10-29-2022 (143).JPG

They fit snug around the tube and will do a much better job of keeping the weather out. About $10 for five of them.

Trailer Tongue Lock - 10-29-2022 (147).JPG

Now for a little paint, and I can finally get some sleep.

:D

Today I did a little security enhancement to the trailer tongue lock.

Notice that the Bolt Lock extends out past its containment sleeve by about 3/4". You may recall that when I built this thing, I was concerned that if you cut the Bolt Lock at that point it may fail. I contacted Bolt and asked if that was the case. One of their engineers finally got back to me and said, "Yeah, cut the end of the lock off and the guts fall out, allowing the lock to be removed."

View attachment 391189

So once again I am lying awake at night waiting for the trailer to be stolen... ;)

Since I need all the sleep I can get, I came up with a solution - simply extend the sleeve. So first off comes the paint, and beveled the end of the sleeve:

View attachment 391195

Cut and beveled a 3/4" piece of 2" x .180 wall tube...

View attachment 391196

Tacked and welded it into place...

View attachment 391197

And after hitting it with a flap disc - it's like it was there all along:

View attachment 391199

I may be a hack welder, but I am a world class grinder. :)

I can verify, you need all the beauty sleep you can get.

Like always, nice work.

One issue I had was that the weather cap will not fit down into the sleeve.

View attachment 391201

So I had to cut the cover off to allow the lock to slide all the way into the sleeve:

View attachment 391209

Still wanting to maintain weather protection, I looked for a different solution and found these 2" ID tube sleeves from McMaster-Carr:

View attachment 391202

They fit snug around the tube and will do a much better job of keeping the weather out. About $10 for five of them.

View attachment 391203

Now for a little paint, and I can finally get some sleep.

:D

If I remember correctly, Trojan makes shaft sleeve covers that can be picked up most anywhere... Of course it's been a minute since I've looked for any...🤪

Nice updated mod..

Nashville,
Do you have any part numbers on the radiator and heater hoses you used on your build. I'm thinking I'm getting pretty close to needing those kind of things shortly.
Thanks